Need some help figuring out water pump/alternator solution

-

LXguy

Reaction score
OK:

So let me start by saying I am a big block newb.

Now that we've got that out of the way....I have a big block engine with a meziere water pump (the full pump, not the pump that fits in a stock housing) . The previous owner of the car deleted the alternator as it was pretty much a drag car.

The problem... The hose from the electric water pump runs pretty much straight down the passenger side of the balancer, completely obscuring the timing marks. I also want to reinstall an alternator on the car because I would like it to be streetable and ain't nobody got time for that battery charger business.

I don't know whether to keep this pump or convert back to a stock style, but I do need to put an alternator back on and would like to be able to time the car without help. Does a stock style water pump put the hose that close to the balancer?

Can anybody suggest what parts would be good to solve this problem? The car came this way, so I've got no water pump or housing, pulleys, alternator, timing indictator, bracket, etc.

IMG_0430_zpsnfdp8xyu.jpg

Thanks!

Steve

The stock style pumps work really well. For the aftermarket, I like the Milodon stuff. I have read where people have had trouble with 440 source housings and pumps being crappy castings. If it was me, I would look for a high quality aluminum housing like an MP if you can find one. Maybe Mancini sells them or another high quality brand. I am not sure MP still makes them. Keep in mind the housings come two ways. With a driver's side inlet or passenger's side inlet, so make sure you get the correct one.

x2 on the mp housing and milodon pump, brackets for the alternator can be found on the internet and other places that will solve your problem with the hoses. You can then sell the pump you have and recoup some $$$$.

Pretty easy to fix that. Just get a water pump housing, a water pump and a water pump pulley. Then you'll need an alternator and an alternator bracket. Since you're starting from zero I'd put a Denso 60 amp on there. Mancini Racing has everything you need or give Hughes Engines a call. Either place should be able to get you hooked up with all of the parts.

Here is what it will look like with the stock water pump housing and a 60 amp Denso alternator. You'll need to change the radiator over to a driver side outlet.

Attachments

• AR019a (Large).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 192
I used the 440 source housing with the inlet on the passenger side. Bought a set of their aluminum pulleys for the pump and crank. Put one of the Denso kits on, also from 440 source. Came with all the brackets and bolted up nice and aligned nice. Runs 180 degrees with no complaints of heating. I have had zero problems with their stuff. Only thing is that the kit doesn't come with the alternator wiring plug which I got from Mancini's. You can get a timing marker for either side of the water pump from 440 source or Mancini's .

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 163
I used the 440 source housing with the inlet on the passenger side. Bought a set of their aluminum pulleys for the pump and crank. Put one of the Denso kits on, also from 440 source. Came with all the brackets and bolted up nice and aligned nice. Runs 180 degrees with no complaints of heating. I have had zero problems with their stuff. Only thing is that the kit doesn't come with the alternator wiring plug which I got from Mancini's. You can get a timing marker for either side of the water pump from 440 source or Mancini's .

When did you purchase that housing? I've read the same thing Rob mentioned above about poor castings.

Stock components in good shape will work just fine. The housing with the drivers side inlet is the most common by far. The only thing I don't like about the factory setup is its crowded around the distributor. The alternator makes it so I can't use my big old Sears timing light.(really bright). I plan to move it to the drivers side soon. Anybody know if the factory ever mounted the alt. on the drivers side?

Stock components in good shape will work just fine. The housing with the drivers side inlet is the most common by far. The only thing I don't like about the factory setup is its crowded around the distributor. The alternator makes it so I can't use my big old Sears timing light.(really bright). I plan to move it to the drivers side soon. Anybody know if the factory ever mounted the alt. on the drivers side?

440 source has the best price on new pulleys. if you use an aftermarket alum. pump, find a stock one to compare it to. make sure the holes are at least all the same size. it aint rocket science, easy to do!

-
Back