Need some help with my auto trans please

-

Shaun65dart

Reaction score
i believe i have the 904 trans in my 65 dart with slant 6. I would like to know if there is any adjustments that can be made to the shift points or basically anything I can do to make sure it is shifting like it should be. From what I have read it is cable operated. For example sometime when i put it in park on a slight incline or decline and let off the brake, the car will still roll while making a grinding/clicking noise. If i push it harder into park, it stops doing that. I feel like something is just out of adjustment. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

The transmission section in the 65 FSM is a wealth of info on the cable adjustments for both cables and goes into much more depth than can be explained here.

Sounds like you need a linkage adjustment for the Park issue. A kickdown adjustment may slightly raise and firm your up-shifts. A transmission service with a band adjustment will take the lag from between shifts. Yes a factory service manual is your friend. @Shaun65dart

Last edited:
i believe i have the 904 trans in my 65 dart with slant 6. I would like to know if there is any adjustments that can be made to the shift points or basically anything I can do to make sure it is shifting like it should be. From what I have read it is cable operated. For example sometime when i put it in park on a slight incline or decline and let off the brake, the car will still roll while making a grinding/clicking noise. If i push it harder into park, it stops doing that. I feel like something is just out of adjustment. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

After doing what was already mentioned and you want your shift a little later really easy you can try this.
It works, is easy to do and doesn't interfere with the wide open throttle.
Ok

After doing what was already mentioned and you want your shift a little later really easy you can try this.
It works, is easy to do and doesn't interfere with the wide open throttle.
Ok
That's slick! Thanks for the link...

nice link. there are governors in the rear tailshaft area that can be changed out for higher speed upshifts.
Increasing Shift Speeds On The 727 Torqueflite - Mopar Muscle Magazine

mopp_0208_07_z-shift_point_governor_assembly-remove_c_clip.jpg

Last edited:
Before you CHANGE anything, get WHAT YOU HAVE operating CORRECTLY FIRST.

The caps are not me yelling, but just stressing important stuff. lol

There are two cables. The park cable and shift cable. As said, the factory service manual will make it very easy for you to adjust it correctly. I would also recommend adjusting both bands. The factory service manual outlines that, too.

It also has manual linkage for the throttle pressure (kickdown) that should be adjusted correctly. That can have a huge impact on when it shifts.

Get it right FIRST, then see if you still want to modify it. You may well be happy with it once all is adjusted correctly.

Good luck!

Shaun - I have the FSM for the 64 which has a section on adjusting the cables for the push button shift and the parking lever. Some mopar sites have FSMs but I didn't have any luck with finding early a body manuals, they were all 67 and up. In any case, PM me with your email if you want me to send you the PDF 64 FSM.

Use this link, and then scroll down to 65 Plymouth. The adjustment procedure is there.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
This is correct. I downloaded it and I have my steering column out of the car and have followed the instructions to set up the shifting at that end. I did find on mine that where the gear shifting cable joins the pin at the steering column that there was a lot of slack. I don't know if something was missing but I had to make a piece to fill the gap. When I put the column back in I now have detailed instructions to set up the connections to the transmission.

-
Back