needed:: wiring diagram for HEI IGNITION

-
Look this should not be that hard.

You have an ohmeter? What brand and model

Show a photo of your coil and module.

As I've said now about THREE times, these coils have (electrically) THREE terminals, regardless of the amount of PHYSICAL terminals. The coil last pictured has THREE electrical terminals, FOUR physical terminals. The following numbering is arbitrary for discussion, not something that is "on the coil" etc

1-- is coil+ which hooks to the module + and battery switched ignition terminal

===========================

2 and 3 are the same electrically:

2-- is coil - which hooks to the switch/ signal terminal of the module

3-- is tach, but electrically is same as 2 above. It is simply a physical terminal to ease wiring

===========================

4-- is the hi voltage coil wire -- the spark output

If you have a good ohmeter measure between all three terminals. Two of them should be lower than the other two. The lowest pair are the ones that are electrically the same terminal, and are the coil-- (minus) terminals

I will soon as my camera software comes in a few days....the round coil has 2 wires on it from the factory harness,,the question is where do those wires connect to the GM COIL???

Here is what I would do. Buy the kit from Trail Beast. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and if you have a problem hooking it up (you won't) you can call him and he will fix you up and you will be happy. Very very happy

that is exactly the bracket coil and module I have in that pic..still not seeing where the wires from the cars harness connects too..i'll keep trying and reading...thanks

that is exactly the bracket coil and module I have in that pic..still not seeing where the wires from the cars harness connects too..i'll keep trying and reading...thanks
Superdart426,
I saw that same GM integrated module/coil that you have, perhaps in the same article that TrailBeast links. I went with the earlier 8-pin HEI used in 85-95 GM trucks & cars, after reading up on megasquirt's site. TrailBeast sells that one. Below is how it looks when you rob a junkyard GM truck (like I did). One big advantage of the 8-pin is that some after-market engine controllers can adjust the spark timing using the 2nd connector on the module. Snip off all the connectors, with as much wire as you can, since you can't buy those at auto parts. The 2-wire cable from module to coil comes right out, making that simple.

Attachments

• GM 8-pin HEI setup.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 276
-
Back