Neon seats

-

Darter6

Reaction score
Has anybody used Neon or PT Cruiser bucket seats in a early A?
I just picked up a 64 Dart and the seat(bench)is trashed.Cost to redo them will be out of my budget.

I know they don't fit well in and AMC Gremlin... similar floor pan shape. The track supports are part of the seat frame and there's not much to modify.

The Sebring seats have a 3pt seat belt integrated into them...

There are several Sebring convertables at pick a part. I heard something about having to get a control(computer?) for the belts to work.Maybe ?

The neon seats fit great in a 72 Scamp (personal experience- buddy's car). You just need brackets for the rear feet where they mount on the floor. I know brackets are cheap and easy to make out of cardboard, and then you can have them welded up fairly easily at a local shop (or do it yourself).

I might even be able to get you the dimensions, but his floor pan is probably different from yours.

Good luck.

-Mike

There are several Sebring convertables at pick a part. I heard something about having to get a control(computer?) for the belts to work.Maybe ?
yeah you need the box for the belts to work but it's and easy wire up.
96-7-8 sebring convertible seats with control box fit fair. youcan also use up to 2000 sebring seats but you have to get the wiring and box off of an 96-7-8 since they moved it to the computer.
you do have to do some floor mounts. I use 1 1/4 angle tacked to the floor and 4x4 plates welded to the bottom and bolted together for a solid mount on mine.

mounting points on top (haven't put in the through bolts yet.)
View attachment DSCF2893.JPG

seats in and testing fit
View attachment DSCF2882.jpg

I have a pic somewhere showing the black box that's underneath the console of the sebring , but if you follow the wires from the drivers side power seat it will lead you right to the box and get it all . later you can use or discard the extra wires if you don't use them.

Thanks for all the info and photos. Soon it will be off to Pic a Part.

If you find 1995 ACR seats from a Neon they have high bolsters and side bolsters than the rest. Barring that the SRT-4 Neon seats are pretty much race seats.

But any of the R/T or ACR seats are better than the base model seats.

Riddler

No easy way to add a shoulder belt unless you get seats with an integral one, usually convertibles. I am putting Sebring seats in my 65 Dart. I made brackets from slotted L and L brackets from Ace. Just drilled 2 small holes in the floor. Haven't dealt with the seat-belt box yet. I got Cobra convertible seats for my 64 Valiant. They have a top loop for a shoulder belt from the rear floor, but haven't designed that yet. I wouldn't drive without a shoulder belt, especially with my non-collapsible steering columns.

If you go with the sebring seats make sure you re-enforce the floor mounting areas or you AND the seat will go flying in an accident.
I removed the old seat mount risers near the rocker so I could get the seat to set low enough for my liking, then welded 1/8 x 3" plate on top and underneat to strengthen the floor. I cut off the seat's stock mounts and used 3/16" angle welded to the bottom of the tracks. Corvairkid.com has the wiring diagram for ya.

Attachments

• floor 007_1_1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 544
  • may26,2012 024_1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 519
Thanks again guys, My car is a 2 door post so no problem doing a shoulder belt.I will be checking out the Sebrings and wonder over to the Ford row for plenty of mustangs.Pauly thanks for the floor pictures

Sorry, somehow I missed the early A part. Same things apply but the physical size of the sebring seat might be an issue on the passenger side.

I would agree with the neon ACR seats, having had one! It was an awesome car love it hade over 140k miles on it before it met a telephone pole! My fault during my time battling epilepsy, had a seizure and blip hit the pole! Loved that car it would turn on a dime and give you change!! Made for auto cross racing! It was my other baby next to the 65 cuda formula s! Other cars could not keep up with it around any corner that is for sure! It was very comfortable and safe! I would think though the seats were very low, so adjustment in an early a would be needed to set up for viewing correctly. But would be cool bucket style seats...JMO...

65CudaLover gregg

Sorry, somehow I missed the early A part. Same things apply but the physical size of the sebring seat might be an issue on the passenger side.
nope the fits great.
I have 97 Sebring seats in my 66 dart and they look just a tad narrower than the original seats.
I test fit the console in the car and decided to do a custom one since the seats left a larger gap between the seats than I liked and bigger than stock seats (plus the console top was trashed too!). I mounted the seats close to the stock locations. the driver side front bucket seat mounting hole is directly underneath the front mounting pad on the sebring seats. passenger side is about 1/2 inch back from mounting hole.

here's a seat location picture and the clearances
center console area
View attachment 0125131519.jpg

drivers side gap to door
View attachment 0125131520.jpg

passenger side gap to door
View attachment 0125131520a.jpg

front layout.
View attachment 0125131520b.jpg

I do have to move the rear seat mounts over about a 1/2 in to line the seams in the cloth up. "just noticed that hmmmmm)

Recaro has the seat contract for BMW and they are also a nice choice.
East to adapt to the Abody floor also if you get the seat tracks with them.

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 466
  • 2a.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 444
I was looking at some Mercedes Benz seats for the ragtop, but they are mounted with six lobe torx hardware that ya can't get a wrench on. I thought that star would look bitchin' on my hood!

Now,,, I have to check out the BMW/MB row at pick a part.
The BMW photo shows flat mount,I like..!

Now,,, I have to check out the BMW/MB row at pick a part.
The BMW photo shows flat mount,I like..!

Yes, they are totally flat mount.
I put 1 inch under the rear and 1.5 inches under the front inside corner on both.
I made small spacer adjustment from there.

Yes, they are totally flat mount.
I put 1 inch under the rear and 1.5 inches under the front inside corner on both.
I made small spacer adjustment from there.

What year range and models of BMW?

What year range and models of BMW?

The ones I have are 1991 325i, but they are almost all the same. (or at least very close.)
I have an extra set exactly like the ones in my car, but they have seat covers over them because the original material/leather is pretty bad.
The extra set even has heaters built into them.
The problem is shipping is about $125 from AZ to Nevada :banghead:

-
Back