neutral safety switch test

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
I have a 1 pin NSS and want to test it before I put the transmission in the car. What's the best way to make sure it works??
Thanks.
Jim

Hook it up and try to start the car in gear. If it fires up the switch is bad (that or you didn't wire it up right).

Car is coming back from paint in a week or so. Just thought if there was a way to bench test it, I'd do that.
Thanks!!!

You can connect and continuity/ohm meter to the post and to the case, and if moving the shifter lever on the trans makes the guage move it works.
Should show a connection in park and reverse on the trans.

You can connect and continuity/ohm meter to the post and to the case, and if moving the shifter lever on the trans makes the guage move it works.
Should show a connection in park and reverse on the trans.
your close, but still far away. its a single pin switch. its not responsible for reverse lites.

Put the threaded part in your mouth and blow on it real hard. If the resistance changes when you blow on it, it's working.....

Be sure to get pictures of you blowing on the switch and post them....

Sure you can bench test it.....Trailbeast's test is right; I am sure he means you will get continuity (approx 0 ohms) in Park and Neutral (not Reverse...). Connect the ohmeter between the connection tab/pin on the NSS and the other end to a clean metal surface on the transmission case, or to the metal body of the switch.

For others, and if it a 3 pin NSS, and you also want to test the reverse light switch portion, then hook your ohmeter between the 2 outer pins on the NSS; you should get conintuity (approx 0 ohms) when in Reverse.

Yup. Put the trans in park, then neutral. Switch pin to ground should show close to zero ohms in these two positions.

Put the threaded part in your mouth and blow on it real hard. If the resistance changes when you blow on it, it's working.....

Be sure to get pictures of you blowing on the switch and post them....

Lots of experience "testing switches"? Krazykuda? Or are you just good at blowing things?
Maybe you post the pictures of your technique?

I swapped out a 74 904 for the push button trans that was in my car. Is it fine to swap out the one prong nss originally from the car and put into the 74 904? Should work fine right?

I swapped out a 74 904 for the push button trans that was in my car. Is it fine to swap out the one prong nss originally from the car and put into the 74 904? Should work fine right?

If I remember correctly the three terminal switch and the single terminal do not exchange.
I think one of the differences is the length, and the other is the comb in the trans is different so the switch isn't operated correctly.

Ok. So i will have to find a 3 prong and splice it in. From what I can gather I just need to hook up middle wire to starter relay. Then one prongs reverse lights which I don't have and the other one I'm not sure of but guessing I'm not going to need that either?

Ok. So i will have to find a 3 prong and splice it in. From what I can gather I just need to hook up middle wire to starter relay. Then one prongs reverse lights which I don't have and the other one I'm not sure of but guessing I'm not going to need that either?
not going to help w/ ur problem, but, couldn`t a guy wire up a n.s. switch to be a manually activated hidden switch that must be activated to start the car ?

I'm sure. I have my voltage regulator just grounded to the firewall right now bypassing it where the n.s.s is suppose to go.

Lots of experience "testing switches"? Krazykuda? Or are you just good at blowing things?
Maybe you post the pictures of your technique?

Just ask your GF.... She taught me.... :lol:

DSC05032 B.jpg

19 posts on an NSS test? I just had to check it out.
I was not disappointed!
Lmao
Me too. :D
And exactly what I thought.

I did mention that you can't just swap a single connector switch for a 3 connection didn't I?
Yep, I did.

I guess we're all distracted at times.
I keep telling my wife, men are all distracted like this.She wants to know how I could know this.I say cuz I get it from other men.I've never met a man who wasn't distracted at least several times a week.Young or old it never goes away.
My dad was 83 when he died, and he was 16 years a widower. He had cataracts, and couldn't see well enough to drive; but he could still see well enough to get distracted..................
My wife says not all men are like that.
What I want to know is how she came to that conclusion...........
I wonder if all women are like her................
HeeHee, no wonder the wor..l....d.... is

Last edited:
-
Back