New Build Advice Needed

-
Still, I would love to see what that engine makes. Sounds like a great /6.
The one I have now is really mild. Stone stock head, but milled heavily. Big solid cam (250@.050 duration on a 108), Offy four barrel intake, 450 quick fuel vs cacburetor and a ported exhaust manifold with an enlarged 2.5" outlet and the TTI 2.5 exhaust. I'm "guessin" somewhere around 230-250HP by how it runs. It's a STONE stock bottom end except for the cam and Rollmaster timing set and cam. It's really sporty to drive.

300hp seems to be the magic number everyone wants to hit naturally aspirated. A lot think they have, but in reality it's pretty tough. Not impossible, but damned tough.

I have my "next motor" on the stand. 198 long rods, 2.2 4cyl pistons, factory closed chamber prototype head with 318 valves. Block has been decked to .010" in the hole, so there'll be plenty of quench. I'm not trying to hit a certain number, I'm just building a solid, strong slant 6.

However, if I were trying to hit the number, I think I would back up and use a cast crank engine. Much lighter rotating mass. Cast cranks will stand 500hp, so plenty of room there. Probably not happen now, as I'm too far into this one, but that's what I'd do if I was looking for numbers. Which I'm not. I'm lookin for fun.
I always knew you were a Sick Man! I dig it!

Here’s a pretty healthy little /6 from the Aussies.

I have one sitting in a duster I was thinking about boosting. With the poor head flow I think it will be a good candidate for compounds; hx35 over an eBay gt45. Forged pistons, and a decent size intercooler. Would be difficult to NOT make 300hp.

EFI would be a great choice.

Also, to weigh in on long rod motors it’s not a great thing with boost especially paired with an iron head. Long rods increase dwell at top dead center decreasing the tuning window and increasing the chances of detonation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and advice. My head is swimming with all this.
And on top of that have my 69 big block car up on the lift tonight because my 02 sensor on the Sniper was fouled. I suspect exhaust leaks. Is it possible to have fenderwell headers all go into a collector and NOT have an exhaust leak? Hmmm. My forays into the modern world aren’t going so well. Ha

another pretty wild slant.

Holy cow!! That is awesome!!
My sons and I are ready to ship the block and head to machine shop but I’m glad I’m on the right track with the 904 and the 8 3/4 rear! Super cool. Thanks! Keeps up the motivation

-
Back