New Car Shopping,...Wasted Day...

-

jaimus

Old School ASE Gold
Reaction score
So Me and Momma decided It soon will be time to replace my beloved 99 Cherokee. Very hard to do since this vehicle has proven to be bulletproof. Has a 4.0, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive limited slip 8 1/4 diff. 150 thousand on the clock,...
The criteria,...1). Vehicle must be made in the good old USA by a USA owned company (no subarus built by $15 dollar an hour parts throwers). I make my money here and I spend It here.
2).NO AUTOMATICS,...PERIOD. I've spent too many years rebuilding automatics,...especially Chryslers,... and I enjoy driving way too much...
3).Must be a suitable responder rig as I am an Asst Chief with the local volunteer Fire dept. Has to be able to haul my 6ft. frame and stuff (firegear, radios, lights, etc...) while keeping It warm and dry,..that means full bore at 2am @ 0 degrees...
4). And because I will drive It to work, Something that gets decent mileage (better than 20mpg which is what my jeep gets).
5). Must be new,...buying something used is buying someone elses troubles,..and Its nice to have something new every now and again...
6). No AUTOMATICS,...PERIOD...

After scouring the net for weeks and dealing with sceevy guys in suits all day,...the closest I can find is a Chevy Colorado 4 door(kinda small), a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (not as roomy as my Cherokee), a Ram 2500 with a Cummins (way,way,way too much truck and money)...or a Cadillac CTS Sport Sedan (nice, but not really suited for the job, cheaper than the Dodge, still more than I want to spend).

After all this, I'm thinkin maybe I'll be throwin some money at the Jeep after all,...How come I can buy a friggin Caddi with a stick, but not a decent 1/2 ton pick-up or SUV with a stick,...Nobody makes em,....totally sickening,...wasted day...

How about Ford? They got anything? No bail out money, Still American made (or is that North america?) 2013 Escape looks kinda cool, but options are slim, like 1! Sync radio?? and no manual, but uit has a 6 speed auto.

I would think that jeep of yours is barely getting broken in, it sounds like a keeper to me as long as it aint too rusty.

How about Ford? They got anything? No bail out money, Still American made (or is that North america?) 2013 Escape looks kinda cool, but options are slim, like 1! Sync radio?? and no manual, but uit has a 6 speed auto.

I looked at Fords,...alas no stick, no sale...

I would think that jeep of yours is barely getting broken in, it sounds like a keeper to me as long as it aint too rusty.

and thats the rub,... rockers are startin to go,.hell I bet the motor would outlast my old Dakota which I still have @ 240k.

Newer vehicles are just getting broken in at that mileage. I had my 1999 Neon for 215,000 miles and never even had the engine apart (except for routine timing belt change at 100,00 miles). Also I never changed the clutch. I sold the car to a friend of mine and he drove it for another year and then he sold it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still going.

Did you look at the Liberty or Nitro. You can get a stick in them out here.

Thank, I'll need It,...If only I could find another new Cherokee like mine...

Sounds like you need to buy one from Seattle area or California and road trip it home! you got all the goodies in yours and it isn't that hard to swap everything over.....

I thought about getting a new truck this year but then said forget it. Mine works just fine and its paid for. MMG

you cant kill that 4.0 jeep we had one we bought new in 96 jst got rid of it 3 yrs ago with 170 plus on the clock still runnin strong and other than a little tailgate damage it looked new. wife wanted something with bells and whistles.darned mercury mountanier turned out to be a big electronic piece of crap

I've been checking out the new Escape it is going to be a nice vehicle

Oh my job is installing the right rear bumper cover bracket and rear bumper beam (and help with trailer hitch beam)

So I have been checking out all the different jobs in the build. Kind of cool right now, but after a few 1,000 it will lose it's appeal ................. LOL

So, great colors, lots of options and the 2.0 eco boost should scoot. The 1st ones built for sale are just now off the assembly line, so it will be a while longer before they are available for sale on the lots.

Manual transmissions are becoming a thing of the past for most cars, preformance vehicles are the main ones to have them, or striped down trucks.

You could check into a F 150 with eco boost and will give you the gas mileage and room you are looking for.

IF, you buy a new ford Product and don't have anyone to help get discount let me know. I can get you the X Plan which will give you discount without the hassle. They show you the invoice with X plan price, you get all rebates that are included too.

Good Luck in your search

I have seen several Jeeps with over 200,000 miles, so maybe just some more maintenance to what you have and drive for a few more years

my Mom drives a 98 Jeep Cherokee Limited, whenever she is out people are always asking her about it, guess this thread might explain why. 68,000 miles and still looks new and drives good

I've driven both the Nitro and the Liberty for several hundred miles and in my opinion they both SUCK!

I agree with Ross, why not find another Cherokee with no rust? The vehicles being produced today are completely different, once the warranty is gone and they break you are screwed. Too much electronics, sensors, etc. A Cherokee will outlast a new car. And you can buy a lot of gas for what you wouldn't be spending on a car payment. The title of this thread says it all.

I,m with Wildcat for fuel economy/room the Ford f-150 with V6 Eco-Boost(twin turbo)gets 30mpg.I also can get the X-Plan for anybody wanting to buy new.Here in Oakville,Ontario we make the Ford Edge that has new 2.0 liter Eco-Boost(single turbo)it,s roomy and scoots,also good fuel economy.

Keep the Jeep. Take the amount that you would have spent on a car payment each month and pay it into a savings account. It will add up quick. Then every few months buy something cool for the Jeep. Anyone can sign up and make a car payment.

Really, i would go with the new one even if you have to go with an automatic.
Lots of good stuff out there, just find what you like and buy it.
Don't get me wrong, i love the standards too, but there's nothing wrong with an automatic for a daily driver.
The caddy sounds good if you want/need a standard. Nothing wrong with a cadillac.
JMHO.

I've been checking out the new Escape it is going to be a nice vehicle

Oh my job is installing the right rear bumper cover bracket and rear bumper beam (and help with trailer hitch beam)

So I have been checking out all the different jobs in the build. Kind of cool right now, but after a few 1,000 it will lose it's appeal ................. LOL

So, great colors, lots of options and the 2.0 eco boost should scoot. The 1st ones built for sale are just now off the assembly line, so it will be a while longer before they are available for sale on the lots.

Manual transmissions are becoming a thing of the past for most cars, preformance vehicles are the main ones to have them, or striped down trucks.

You could check into a F 150 with eco boost and will give you the gas mileage and room you are looking for.

IF, you buy a new ford Product and don't have anyone to help get discount let me know. I can get you the X Plan which will give you discount without the hassle. They show you the invoice with X plan price, you get all rebates that are included too.

Good Luck in your search

I have seen several Jeeps with over 200,000 miles, so maybe just some more maintenance to what you have and drive for a few more years

my Mom drives a 98 Jeep Cherokee Limited, whenever she is out people are always asking her about it, guess this thread might explain why. 68,000 miles and still looks new and drives good

See criteria 2,...again,... No Stick, No Sale...

Keep the Jeep. Take the amount that you would have spent on a car payment each month and pay it into a savings account. It will add up quick. Then every few months buy something cool for the Jeep. Anyone can sign up and make a car payment.

Not worried about a car payment. I stay away from the 6 and 7 year plans. Jeeps been paid for since 04,...

I,m with Wildcat for fuel economy/room the Ford f-150 with V6 Eco-Boost(twin turbo)gets 30mpg.I also can get the X-Plan for anybody wanting to buy new.Here in Oakville,Ontario we make the Ford Edge that has new 2.0 liter Eco-Boost(single turbo)it,s roomy and scoots,also good fuel economy.

Drove a new F-150 when I worked for Another Texas Tragedy (AT&T),...Didn't like It much,...Cheap feeling and mushy,...To be objective, I Did go and look again,....Still no stick, No Sale,...and Ford wanted 4-5 grand more than comparable Dodge and Chevy's,...

IMHO i would rebuild your 99 a good overhaul will probably be less then a new car that doesn't have what you want.

Did you look at the Liberty or Nitro. You can get a stick in them out here.

Nitro is dead for 2012,...Liberty has no stick since 09,...Again, No Stick, No Sale,...I live within 10 miles of the Consumer Reports Testing area,...Got friends who work there,...They were less than impressed by these two vehicles,...

Vehicle must be made in the good old USA by a USA owned company (no subarus built by $15 dollar an hour parts throwers). I make my money here and I spend It here.

well that rules out anything fiat/chrysler.

well that rules out anything fiat/chrysler.

I know, and It kills me Joe,...Thats all I've ever bought new,...and I've had well over 100 used vehicles, 90% were Pentastar products. Been lookin long and hard @ GM's,...I'm pretty sure the wife's Pontiac replacement will be a Caddi in a coupla years,...

I just went through the same thing ( new car shopping for my daughter) and after it was all said and done and test driving every make imagineable, I came to the conclusion that the subaru is hands down a better car than most out there, in it's compareable price class. The new avenger was a pile of crap!!

-
Back