New Challenger vs Original

-
WELL AB you can thank your fed gov for no bumbers on cars!

Dyno,

nice collection! I would agree with most old for fun new for daily use. I told guys with Southern Maryland Mopar group who have mostly new challengers and chargers that are nice and fast that if I had the money to buy one of them I would buy an old cuda. I am a barracuda dude and would love a big block cuda. If I won the lottry I could have both! Life is full of choices chose what suits your own taste! JMO neither is a bad choice...Mopar or No Car!

I agree too!

I mean I would sell the 09 beofre the CUDA anyday! and the cuda is worth 3xs more too:)
Something about the lines back in the day...

Buy the REAL challenger... the new ones are overrated. However... if you'd like a new car as your daily driver... I guess you have no choice but to... actually, don't buy a new challenger at all. lol For a daily driver they're just too much in my opinion. (Money mostly).

\

IMO it looks better than what Dodge came out with... The new Challengers have no character and are big slabs... Slab front, rear, and sides... At least the stick on chrome breaks up the slabs... I guess it's one of those "can't put lipstick on a pig" things ;)

i agree about the looks of the car but stick on chrome sure as hell isn't helping it any.

its fun cause its new .. but if you buy the new one you l will regret it in few years , personnaly i dont like the new challenger , im 25 years old ,im young am im supposed to like the new muscle car era , and the tuner cars , but dont get me wrong i have a cuda that i builted with my dad few years ago and everytime i see the cuda i gives me chills , its priceless to have a cuda or a new challenger , im verry happy to have my duster , but if you have that kind of money just , put a better suspension , better tires , and but a decent engine and go ( so priceless to ear a carbureted engine s camshaft !!! ) ... enjoy the trip of having maybe the car of your dreams , we only live once ...

a new challenger is nothing close to a REAL old classic muscle car .. NOTHING , maybe as power but ill prefer have a nice old school s6 or 318 duster than have a piece of plastic with a 6 inch hemi sticker on it !

my 2 cents

I took these last year at a local Dodge Dealers car show that we entered my son 74 Dart Swinger in. That "old" Challenger won best of show. I hurriedly snapped these shots before people crowded all close to the cars.

Attachments

• 100_9313.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_9314.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_9315.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_9316.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 134
WELL AB you can thank your fed gov for no bumbers on cars!

They could have added fake bumpers and still met crash standards. Either they were too cheap and didn't want the extra cost, or the after market thought of something Dodge didn't.

Attachments

• challenger_comparison.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 137
show many any factory modern cars with bumpers?

Anyway it is too heavy as it is point well taken buddy!

I STILL like the new challenger SRT8 all the way! I get all crazy, and rubberneck every time I see one. lol I want one really bad! I have my 70 Dart and 68 Cuda to play around with, so I think of owning a piece of "modern muscle" would be cool as well...

I understand with both sides of this debate, I don't understand the cookie cutter thing ..... back in the day wasn't all the 70, 71, 72, ect. Challengers cookie cutter cars? I'm sure back then some thought they were ugly, and others never thought much about how much they would be worth 20 years from now. ( 70 Super Bird ??? ) Anyway I agree with most ...daily driver New one, every now and again cru-zer old one. I like the new one's a lot and like the old one's...... fortunately.... or unfortunately .... I don't have to make a decision. lol... $$$

Actually the whole comparison between the two (new vs. old) is ridiculous. There is no comparison, either way, other than a slight resemblance. You have to choose what type of car you want. I have always liked the 70/71 Challenger the best, especially the 71 but having owned a few E-bodies I know they need a lot of work to be fast or to handle and not squeak you crazy. I really don't like the Challenger after 72 but I wouldn't kick one out of the garage. I always preferred my A-bodies.
If you really want that old car, get it. I would also recommend that you pick up a Charger R/T as a modern daily driver/fun car. There are a ton of mods you can do, they are cheaper than a Challenger and you can beat them silly. The only down side is that they are all automatic.

Actually the whole comparison between the two (new vs. old) is ridiculous. There is no comparison, either way, other than a slight resemblance. You have to choose what type of car you want. I have always liked the 70/71 Challenger the best, especially the 71 but having owned a few E-bodies I know they need a lot of work to be fast or to handle and not squeak you crazy. I really don't like the Challenger after 72 but I wouldn't kick one out of the garage. I always preferred my A-bodies.
If you really want that old car, get it. I would also recommend that you pick up a Charger R/T as a modern daily driver/fun car. There are a ton of mods you can do, they are cheaper than a Challenger and you can beat them silly. The only down side is that they are all automatic.

they make a 6 speed r/t

Actually the whole comparison between the two (new vs. old) is ridiculous. There is no comparison, either way, other than a slight resemblance.
That makes the most sense to me. Dodge is just trading on the old name to try and stay competitive in a very competitive, somewhat niche market. The name and Dodge muscle reputation is really all they have in common. We should be thankful there is even a new Challenger at all. It came close to being stillborn, IIRC.

Wish I had this dilemma. If you buy an older car as an investment, you must have the facility to properly store it. Then you become so anal about all the little things that need to be brought up to your expectations, you end up never satisfied. It will drive you nuts.
I really like the look of the 'new' cars that they are producing now. Buy one drive it anywhere and just enjoy it. Cars were meant to be driven. I bought a numbers matching 340 swinger FC7 code 4-speed. It sits in an unheated garage, used, sometimes abused, hardly ever detailed but driven and enjoyed. Some day I'll sell it to someone who has the money and ambition to restore it to as ' showroom condition' but it won't be me. ( unless I win the lottery). If I had the money a new Challenger would be sitting in my unheated garage.
GregH

wow, i just found out what alot of people think about my car. LOL

i don't care, i still like it

Personally, I think they look great and would love to have one. The same can be said of any next generation car. Some people like them and some don't. Change is good, whether we like it or not!! (except maybe the 80's era. LOL!)

Me personally, I would go new.
I have a 70 Challenger that I drove for years, when I was younger, and had the patience to want to wrench constantly. Right now it sits, in the garage, in primer, waiting for me to have the time, and money to finish the restore.

I enjoy getting in, hitting the key, and going with no fan fare. I like wrenching on what I want, when I want, not what I have to, when I don't want.

I would be that guy who drives a new Challenger all the damn time. It would be meticulously maintained, but I would drive the wheels off it.

I would trade my 70 for a new one, but the world says it is not worth what a new one is worth. Maybe in a couple years, once it is restored, and the newer ones come down in price.

Original all the way..the newer ones are just plain "ugly"..and are depriciating in value everyday while the older one are going up ...:-D:-D

I would be that guy who drives a new Challenger all the damn time. It would be meticulously maintained, but I would drive the wheels off it.

Me too! I'd even do the snow tires thing. I've always wanted a muscle car to drive year round, but there's no way I'm doing it with a 70s car.

It would be awesome, except when it came time to load the kids in the back. And when I had to sell my truck, my car, my Dart and my old-timey Challenger and still have to come up with cash to buy the damn thing.

I would get the new one. I love 'em both, but the new ones handle, brake, get better milage, and are a better car overall except in the looks and "wow" factor at car shows and cruises.
Yep, i would get in and drive the car all year round if i could afford one.
This goes for all new vehicles vs the old ones for daily drivers.

Well, having the opratunity to drive my sons 09 R/T, I would say GET ONE AND DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT. It's a blast off the line, handles great, stops very well, corners like a snake and has all the safety stuff you would want to save your family. I do not like the idea of the electric crap thou. I do think if you take care of it, it should last you maybe 15 years and parts may still be available for them. I do love to drive my 71 Swinger, I know it's not a 71 Challenger, but its not the same little hotrod as the new muscle. If I could afford one I would get the new.......

I ordered an '09 six speed R/T,what a disappointment! Didn't even keep it for 500 miles,it was a nice car if you want comfort,but as far as a hotrod it was very uninspiring.Kinda like driving a Buick with loud mufflers!

-
Back