New Challenger vs Original

-

4 Barrel

Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to buying a 2011 Challenger SRT next summer. But the same money would also buy a correct matching numbers and restored 70-71 Challenger or Cuda ( 340 4 speed ). I would still keep my 340 '70 Dart Swinger. It sure would be nice to down the road in comfort,and with the retro look of the new car, but it still is not the car that represents the days of our youth. And I know there are other considerations on either side, such as depreciation of the new, reliability of the old, etc. Any thoughts? :thebirdm:

What are you buying it for ... Daily driver ? then buy the new one ... Cruisen ? > then buy the restored one ... my 1.5 cents

If you keep it in good shape the old one will continue appreciate in value. (unless the bottom completely drops out of the market) The new one won't be worth what you paid for it for 25 years or so. The early small block cars are a blast to drive too.
Here's a shot of 4 cars owned by a couple friends of mine. They are brothers and got into collecting E-bodies a few years ago. These are all 340 cars and 3 have factory shakers. Lots of fun!

Attachments

• DSC_0266.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 614
Depends on what ya want. They both serve their purpose. The new one will have better handling, stopping and performance everywhere. Plus the new one will get better mpg , be more comfortable with better Seating, heat ,a/c and all the other creatur comforts. The new ones will always look like a too flat fat pig compared to the originals.

Best of both worlds would be put a modern suspension and drivetrain in an original ebody.

Just my .02, I would not have to think twice, I would take the 70-71 Challenger or Cuda ( 340 4 speed ).
I like the look of the new Challenger but not enough to buy one, not a huge fan of the interior. A buddy has one, as well as a loaded Magnum, he said if he has any long drives to do he takes the Magnum because it is more comfy.
I would think about it as an investment as well.
Just a sidenote,and
I don't mean to offend anyone here who has one but it ticks me off to no end when they show up at cars shows and cruise nights because they have LED lights that change colours around the headlights, ok it looks cool but it is not a classic or a speicial interest car, and some shows it takes spots away from older classics that are supposed to be there, if I want to look at one I will go to the showroom.
Sorry about the rant...go for the 70s you will be glad you did.
AL

I'm assuming you have the cash on hand to buy either one outright, otherwise if you need to finance, it might be a lot easier to buy a new car. The SRT will be hands down WAY more car than any old E-body. I don't know how old you are but were you around when the old muscle cars were new? If not, you can live in the present and drive an extremely fast new muscle car now. One that can be driven. One that the kids on your street will remember when they are older and looking for an old (2010) Challenger. These new cars really are special interest cars. It didn't take long for guys BITD to start collecting and showing muscle cars of the past, what's the difference now? Don't get me wrong, I love the old cars as much as the rest of you do but the reality is, the older cars just don't lend themselves to the constant driving of the new cars and don't mix well with modern traffic as well either making them less of a pleasure to drive.
I do agree with toolmanmike though, the small block E-bodies are, IMO, much more fun to drive than a big block if you actually plan to drive them.

I think the Challengers are reaching the PT Cruiser and Ram truck stage in life where the novelty is starting to wear off. Yes they were cool when they first came out and everyone loved them but now you see them everywhere....EVEN IN THE WINTER ...something never change LOL
AL

SIMPLE

investment OLD

driver NEW

what do you have for a driver now.

Would this car be the car you would want to take on vacation? or drive on cruise night

I drove my buddies 2009 Hurst supercharged SRT, let me tell you what a great driving car it is, and it is extremely FAST, but well mannered.

I would love to have a new challenger as a driver. Have owned several E body over the years, big block, small block, auto & stick. Loved them all.

But I have my Dart, Prowler & Imperial. I drive the dart a lot more than the others, but if I'm going much distance the newer car is the one I take. When driving my Prowler I tell people I'm driving my economy car (now yes it is a V 6 so don't jump on saying it is, it will outrun most stock cars from the past without a problem)

Look at your situation and decide what fits your needs.

I think the Challengers are reaching the PT Cruiser and Ram truck stage in life where the novelty is starting to wear off. Yes they were cool when they first came out and everyone loved them but now you see them everywhere....EVEN IN THE WINTER ...something never change LOL
AL

No one said they were instant classics. I also don't bring mine to shows and show it so I agree with most about that point too. They are a modern muscle car. Does that fit your lifestyle or are you looking for something to polish at a car show or just cruise for ice cream in?
The fact that there ARE twenty something of the new cars at cars shows says something about how much the owners like them though, doesn't it? I warn you though, these cars don't stop accelerating at 120 so hold on tight to your license! It is a different driving experience for sure. You can go 100 miles an hour and still change lanes.

I own a # match 70 Cuda and a SRT I can tell you the SRT is the best car you have will have ever driven. And they look sharp too as far as a new car goes. Dodge did a very good retro job with the limitations from the governement for new safety stadards bumpers no chrome etc right.

The brakes and handling are world class and my 6 speed pulls 4.4 0-60 and i have been up to 152 in 5th and there is still 6th and a best of 12.84 in the 1/4. Not bad for a 4070 lb car.

It is a little bigger than the old car and the weight is all the safety crap etc.

But the IRS and struts etc make for a great driving car.

The new SRT gets a 392 and we have dynoed it at 420 HP stock at the tires. That is pretty darn good and that was the Auto trans car. it gets 70 more ft lbs tq from 2500-4500 rpms over the 6.1 and they added MDS which is a + and a -. ++ is better MPG.

I would get the SRT if I was you and like others said, do NOT look at the SRT as an investment. Myself I can not live that long :)

But the 70 is an investment if it is a # match car good shape etc.

I live in WY and winter is long cold, icy. My wife even has a SE G packaged car, has great giddy up for a 280 hp V6, new V^ is even better in 2011 but he 2010s are 5 speed cars. Anyway great driving car 28+ mpg and does very whell for rear wheel drive in the ice and snow. Even the handling is awesome for the base car.

PS wish you could own both!:)

Attachments

• IMG_1942 (Large).jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_1943 (Large).jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 518
I have to agree with the majority here so far. New for daily driver and old for cruising and shows. I think for a lot of us the old ones bring back some youthful memories. Much more than just a cool looking car. The new ones are, well, cool looking cars. The new ones are much safer and better handling especially important if your family is riding with you. In the end it's what YOU want that counts.

I would love to have the new SRT 392. The problem I see with the old ones is, at least in my case, I don't really drive them much any more. Too risky. And with the collectors insurance not allowed to anyway. Can you imagine the hassle getting it repaired even if it had full comprehensive for a DD? But a new one, wow, I would be in that baby every damn day.

Dyno,

nice collection! I would agree with most old for fun new for daily use. I told guys with Southern Maryland Mopar group who have mostly new challengers and chargers that are nice and fast that if I had the money to buy one of them I would buy an old cuda. I am a barracuda dude and would love a big block cuda. If I won the lottry I could have both! Life is full of choices chose what suits your own taste! JMO neither is a bad choice...Mopar or No Car!

I'm giving some serious thought to buying a 2011 Challenger SRT next summer. But the same money would also buy a correct matching numbers and restored 70-71 Challenger or Cuda ( 340 4 speed ). I would still keep my 340 '70 Dart Swinger. It sure would be nice to down the road in comfort,and with the retro look of the new car, but it still is not the car that represents the days of our youth. And I know there are other considerations on either side, such as depreciation of the new, reliability of the old, etc. Any thoughts? :thebirdm:

My dream Mopar would be a '71 Cuda rag top... The newer Challengers are cool, but theres plenty of them to go around...

I too somewhat agree but the new Challenger is of what I call a Cookie Cutter design where as the rear side glass does not roll down and reminds me of the song, little houses on the hillside as they all look the same and have the same cookie cutter design as the retro Camaro, little houses on the hillside and they both look the same. Now the original Challenger and Barracuda are a different breed but it all depends on your credit rating and your knowledge. I'd love to have a new Challenger but I'd rather have a pro touring older model to remind me of where I came from. As an American, free thinker and pinstriper I look at almost all American vehicles in the same manner, thinking of what they can be with a little push so to speak.

That ad Joe posted might be a good place to start. I was able to buy my Challenger for under invoice almost two years ago though. I think I would have had a hard time getting a nice first gen Challenger for the same price. Maybe a 73 or something but I really don't like them so much due to the grill.

I agree with everyone else, "new" daily driver, "old" toy. Heres a reason I haven't seen listed, if you live in a colder climate, the fuel injected beats the carb. cause they start easier, idle better cold and don't have to warm up as long before hitting the highway

-
Back