New forum group, Nor-Cal Mopars

-
Yea I'm tired of this **** already. Trying to paint some interior pieces in the garage and it keeps reacting so I have the gun in one hand and heat gun in the other.

Mopardude no problem. Ill let you know when I get caught up with the projects going and we can work something out. As for you hotlines my father and I owned a very successful body shop for many years and with 30 employees and huge overhead I more than anyone know the deal. We also got a huge break on materials because I bought 20k or more at a time. I've seen what other shops charge for materials and while I understand the cost to operate in California(which is considerably more than Oregon) I still feel its grossly inflated to the quality of work that's being pumped out. The reason we sold our business is because we saw the writing on the walls with the EPA and all the other regulatory bullshit that goes along with it. My friend and I do it as a hobby and to help supplement a little bit but by no means get rich. We ultimately do it because we love hotrods and see the amount of **** being pumped out of these body shops in a hurry and are pretty disgusted by it. Go to a car show and stare down the side of any car there and I can promise you 95 percent of them are wavy as all hell. That is my biggest pet peeve.
that must be why they always play them oldies at the shows; everybodys gone surfin ... i'm with you gt, i've been a painter, long before it costed so much.but then i've been paid 10,000 for a resto,and i'll tell you what that guy got his moneys worth!it was a 59 mercades man what a piece of ****!

I posted pix from the Toys for Tots show on Flickr. Gilbert put on a nice party.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvheim/sets/72157632222530109/"]Toys For Tots Car Show 2012 - a set on Flickr[/ame]

I don't know why the forum software thinks it's a video... it's just a page link. Click on the white title. It works for me.

I don't know why the forum software thinks it's a video... it's just a page link. Click on the white title. It works for me.
worked for me, was a cool little show gilbert should be proud.nice pics max..:glasses7:

Where's the pics? I have a set of heads I had 2.02 1.60's put in a looong time ago but the runners are poopy. Needs to be opened up to work properly and had questions
what kind of questions...

Ill have to show you these heads mike and get your opinion on them. I did them almost 15 years ago and not knowing what the hell I do now I'm just wondering if they can be made to work. I don't think they are that great of castings and just because they have big valves doesn't mean they will work that great. If I got a template I might be able to open them up and make them flow a bit.

Not too bad, actually. Car is primed & final sanding is complete I believe. Shop owner says paint later this week. Been restoring the dash & just got the dash pad back from upholstery. I'm looking for things to start moving pretty fast over the next couple of weeks.

on the short list is the paint & stripe install. reassembly of restored dash, vinyl top install, Carb tuning & front end suspension rebuild should be done before spring. with luck I'm hoping the 8.25" rear goes in as well, but we'll see.

Late notice, but the organizers of the California Melee tour are hosting a fun run Sunday.

Start is at Nick's at Rockaway Beach in Pacifica, 10AM.

http://www.nicksrestaurant.net/directions.html

"The route will take us down the coast to Pescadero and up into the hills to Boulder Creek for lunch. If you're a Niners fan, there will be plenty of time to ditch out after lunch to get to that Superbowl party where you can slip into your Kaepernick jersey, beer helmet, and giant foam #1 mitt.
As for the rest of us, we will take our time winding back to Nick's where the game will be in progress and we will enjoy a drink or two while rehashing our adventures while freeloading from their Superbowl buffet.
Sound good? Then fire up your weird old machine and be there! There's no fee, and you can drive anything as long as it's unusual.

See you there!"
(The Shoog)

I'm thinking of getting in on the morning run (I don't plan on missing the game). I can get home from Boulder Creek in an hour, easily.

This would be a totally casual, run-what-ya-brung deal. Most of these guys have British sports cars, BMW 2002s, older Porsches or Alfas, but there are usually a couple of muscle cars and some real rarities (one frequent participant drives a 55 Imperial; another has a "Pro Touring" 72 Imperial, if you can imagine that). I would be taking my MGB.

hows your car lookin max?is it gilbertt done?

He'd only done a little exploratory surgery last time we talked. Had to justify extra work to the insurance adjuster, then they came in and took a look, and cut another check. Now he's stripping it. So I don't expect it anytime soon.

Do you have anymore info on this touring group and how often the tour. my father inlaw has a 55 Chrysler. This sounds like fun. We cant make this sunday but if this is something that happens on regular basis we would be interested.

Do you have anymore info on this touring group and how often the tour. my father inlaw has a 55 Chrysler. This sounds like fun. We cant make this sunday but if this is something that happens on regular basis we would be interested.

"Founded in 1997, the California Melee is the ORIGINAL low buck classic sports car rally. Each year in mid-September (specifically the weekend after Labor Day) the California Melee gathers a limited group of approximately 50 mischievous classic sports car buffs and treats them to a three-day, +750 mile tour of the most beautiful backroads Northern California has to offer... on the cheap! Unlike some other classic sports car driving events, we understand the cost of building and running old cars, so we have always believed that an event entry shouldn't cost more than a set of tires, or maybe a wiring harness."

Yahoo page: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/californiamelee/
Web page (not updated for this year): http://www.californiamelee.com/

It says "sports car", but it is open to anything built in 1974 or earlier, excluding trucks and station wagons. Since it always attracts more entries than can be accommodated, the organizers "pick & choose", preferring models they haven't seen before (although a certain number of seats seem to be reserved for long-time entries and buddies). The name is a pun on "California Mille", which is a famous high-buck tour celebrating the classic Italian Road Race, the Mille Miglia.

This is only one of many of these events. For a calendar, go to:
http://vintagerallyecartel.com/events/eventlist.html

I have run the Melee twice in my Barracuda and once in an MG. I have also run the Motherlode 400 in the Barracuda. The multi-day tours are great fun and can challenge your car's fitness and your own driving skills, as they usually involve serious mountain backroads. Most cars are at least somewhat performance-oriented -- either factory sports cars, or "restified" classics (hint: brakes are important). The one-day events are basically fun runs with a very diverse group of gearheads, and are usually free and open to all. These are the ones where you will see pure cruisers (62 Cad convertible) and oddballs (Citroen 2CV, microcars).

This is a slightly different world than the muscle car scene or Mopar shows, but the people are interested in all sorts of cars (well, maybe excepting some of the Porsche crowd), and they respect anyone who is willing to drive a classic hard. No trailer queens...

Just to show you what I mean, here are photos from Sunday's run:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvheim/sets/72157632690890402/"]Superdrive 2013 - a set on Flickr[/ame]

The only Mopar was a 60 Imperial Lebaron. But there were a lot of interesting rides, including a Shelby GT350 and a Trans Am in the muscle category.

Again, this is NOT a video -- you have to click on the white text in the title. I don't know why the forum software does this.

Man I wanted to go to that! Nice mix of cars and a few sunbeams! Ill make the next one, oh yea by the way when is the next run?

Dammit,Bad 440!,Where's that Renault you have tucked away!(lol!).

Man I wanted to go to that! Nice mix of cars and a few sunbeams! Ill make the next one, oh yea by the way when is the next run?

In March, there is usually a Shamrock Rally out of Dublin -- this is a fun run, on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Haven't seen an announcement yet, though.

In April, The Snowball Rally and the Targa California -- these are both multi-day events requiring preregistration (now open).

In May, there's Spring Fling, of course, with the PCH Mopar Muscle Tour <https://www.facebook.com/groups/PCHMOPARMUSCLETOUR/>

-
Back