New guy - 68 Notch-back - 900 mile road trip!

-
You need to go through that under hood electrical wiring. ---> it's a mess, look at all of those crimp splices near the master cylinder... :banghead:

It has been converted to the 70 and later voltage regulator, which needs a dual field alternator (with two field wires coming off the alternator). Originally 68 had a solid state voltage regulator and single field alternator.

Then they added electronic ignition.

Here's a thread on making a basic wire splice which would work much better and be more reliable than the crimp on fittings that they have under there.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=288220

Here's a link where you can download a free service manuals for reference to work on your car. Wiring diagrams are in the back of chapter 8. But you will also have to look at a 70 and later service manual to see how the dual field voltage regulator is wired if you want to verify that has been done correctly.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

You need to go through that under hood electrical wiring. ---> it's a mess, look at all of those crimp splices near the master cylinder... :banghead:

It has been converted to the 70 and later voltage regulator, which needs a dual field alternator (with two field wires coming off the alternator). Originally 68 had a solid state voltage regulator and single field alternator.

Then they added electronic ignition.

Here's a thread on making a basic wire splice which would work much better and be more reliable than the crimp on fittings that they have under there.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=288220

Here's a link where you can download a free service manuals for reference to work on your car. Wiring diagrams are in the back of chapter 8. But you will also have to look at a 70 and later service manual to see how the dual field voltage regulator is wired if you want to verify that has been done correctly.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Good stuff - thank you! !!

:burnout:

Here's how to spot what rear end you have:

Mopar_rear_id.jpg

Wish I would have read this earlier. You could have made a pit stop at my house for a few beers , a nice rib eye steak and some notchback looking over on your way home. Pm me if you need any help on figuring out what you have.
Luke

You guys rock!

:cheers:

They never get tired of hearing that!

Your car looks awesome, and I love the slots. I've always liked the notchbacks, they just look cool. Glad you made it home safe and had a long road trip to start out your adventures with the'Cuda. Welcome to the first stage of becoming a Mopar guy!

Take krazykuda's advice and download those manuals, worth every bit of time to download and are the way to go for figuring out how stuff needs to get done. I'd be lost without mine.

Ok, I used the forums vin decoder and it seems she was originally a slant-6. That might explain the rear end gears and speedo being off.

You guys rock!

That's why FABO is the best Mopar and A-body site on the net... :cheers:

We know what we're doing here, with many knowledgeable members that like to help others.... :D

We'll help you get it all sorted out. :glasses7:

That's why FABO is the best Mopar and A-body site on the net... :cheers:

We know what we're doing here, with many knowledgeable members that like to help others.... :D

We'll help you get it all sorted out. :glasses7:

I downloaded that service manual. .....good stuff and a lot to go through!

But just like when I built my Vette, I have to learn every nut and bolt.

Like I said before, this is going to be my everyday all the time driver!
I'll probably sell the Vette - mopar parts money!

You mentioned in an earlier post, that you may put a 440 in it later. If that's the case, you might want to just fix whatever's wrong with the transmission that is in it until you do the big block swap. Mopar transmissions won't swap from small block to big block like Chevy transmissions will. If it's got a 7 1/4 rearend in it, don't spend any money on it! Find an A body 8 3/4 and get that in good working order and swap it in. If you do that, you will only need to get your driveshaft shortened. If you swap to an 8 3/4, buy some big bolt pattern axles from Dr. Diff in Montana. You can Google him....GREAT to deal with, and honest! Assuming it has small bolt pattern discs on the front...swap them out for 73-76 A body discs with the big bolt pattern. Doing that will give you much better brakes that are easier to get parts for, give you big bolt pattern all the way around.....which makes wheel selection greater. The brake shimmy is most likely caused by the strut rod bushings being worn out. Get a good front end rebuild kit, but wait until you decide whether you're gonna swap the big bolt disc brakes. Reason being, the ball joints are bigger on those. Hope some of this helps...and welcome! Nice Stingray! :prayer: My friend Jimmy Mac had a 74 that was the same color......350 4 spd car.

Awesome!
I'm gonna get under there tomorrow and find out what tyranny I have!

Probably the best thing is you came here.

A guy I know that is a chevy guy bought a 67 Dart convertible and seen him at Mopar swap meet. Ask him why he was there and he said he bout this Dart and got a good deal but then started complaining about parts.

I ask him why he didn't call me since I have a 67 Dat convertible that I had finished a few years earlier, yes he had my number, he said he forgot. But was bitching about parts and vendors.

Long story short, I sold him some parts he needed at a good price and helped him with some issues.

The Mopar people here will save you time, money and even add some humor to your day.

If it had a black vinyl top would look a lot like the 67 I bought in 1974. Looks like same light blue, I ended up with slots on mine for a while till I switched to Cragers

Love the knotch back Cudas

What color interior is in the Vette? 81-82 rear bumper cover? 4 speed or auto. Nice looking car.

Ok....I measured the bolt patterns.
Rear - 4.0"
Front - 4 1/2"

The rear end is probably the original from when it had a slant -6

And, upon the good advice here, I'm going to stick with a small block.

But - I want an overdrive. What's the hot ticket in Mopar 4 speed automatic ovedrives?

I just rebuild my suspension not to long ago front and rear.

Rock auto (MOOG) complete rebuild.
If you ever need help just let me know I'm up to lend a hand I'm down the street.

I started a thread. Where FABO friend here made me a list of things I'm sure once you post what direction you want to go they will do the same for you.

Idk how you feel about your stance, but if you look at my photos on mine you can see I like my stance MEAN.. Haha lets get yours a little meaner (ready to go) unless your a tracker guy and like it low to the ground....

Ok....I measured the bolt patterns.
Rear - 4.0"
Front - 4 1/2"

The rear end is probably the original from when it had a slant -6

And, upon the good advice here, I'm going to stick with a small block.

But - I want an overdrive. What's the hot ticket in Mopar 4 speed automatic ovedrives?

another mix and match from the previous owner.... :banghead:

That makes having a spare tire tricky...

You may want to go one way or the other...

Read the service manuals as needed. It's not like we're going to give you a quiz on Friday... :D

another mix and match from the previous owner.... :banghead:

That makes having a spare tire tricky...

You may want to to one way or the other...

Read the service manuals as needed. It's not like we're going to give you a quiz on Friday... :D

Ok.....the little light in my head just came on!
Now I know why there's TWO spare tires! Lol !

I just rebuild my suspension not to long ago front and rear.

Rock auto (MOOG) complete rebuild.
If you ever need help just let me know I'm up to lend a hand I'm down the street.

I started a thread. Where FABO friend here made me a list of things I'm sure once you post what direction you want to go they will do the same for you.

Idk how you feel about your stance, but if you look at my photos on mine you can see I like my stance MEAN.. Haha lets get yours a little meaner (ready to go) unless your a tracker guy and like it low to the ground....

I absolutely want to change and improve the stance.
I'm going to do the front suspension first because it's pretty much dangerous!
I'm going to change the rear end out because I want the 4.5" wheel pattern plus it howls and it's severely freeways geared.

Also, overall, the suspension is VERY hard. Doesn't take bumps well. I went over a couple of small pot holes and it really slams hard. I'd like a more comfortable and drivable ride.

And yes - I sure wouldn't mind some help with it!

I absolutely want to change and improve the stance.
I'm going to do the front suspension first because it's pretty much dangerous!
I'm going to change the rear end out because I want the 4.5" wheel pattern plus it howls and it's severely freeways geared.

Also, overall, the suspension is VERY hard. Doesn't take bumps well. I went over a couple of small pot holes and it really slams hard. I'd like a more comfortable and drivable ride.

And yes - I sure wouldn't mind some help with it!

I like the Mopar Performance 002 & 003 super stock leaf springs. They lift the back up about 3" and has that nice rear to front rake... These just bolt in and don't need a spring relocation kit.

-
Back