New guy - 68 Notch-back - 900 mile road trip!

-
Before we got married, my wife told me that she was anal... It turns out that there are two kinds of anal, and she's the WRONG ONE!!! :banghead: LOL!

- Ron White

My 'ol lady told me to kiss her where it stinks....so I moved her to Chino!
(Dairy farms around here!)

:)

SO my hope is you landed last night, already seen the car (liked it/ all good and well) and are on your was back home on the road.

good luck man

keep us updated.

Hey MrJLR -
If you get back in time, bring your "new" Barracuda out to our all-Mopar charity-benefit car show on Sunday (May 17) at California School for the Deaf (CSDR) in Riverside!
You can download an entry form at our club website: www.inlandmopars.org

BIG-B-Barracuda, bring yours on out too! Where abouts are you in Brea? I'm in Placentia.

Hey MrJLR -
If you get back in time, bring your "new" Barracuda out to our all-Mopar charity-benefit car show on Sunday (May 17) at California School for the Deaf (CSDR) in Riverside!

BIG-B-Barracuda, bring yours on out too! Where abouts are you in Brea? I'm in Placentia.

i will try to make it but my "Shark" (GF named her) is out of commission at the moment if i get her going by the weekend i will for sure stop by thanks for the invite.

I am by the Home Depo. on Imperial hwy. :blob:

I got it! :cheers:

Flew up there, did the deed, and drove it 900 miles back home!
15 hours of driving - not a single problem!

I only got 4 hours of sleep so I'll post a ton of pics in a while.

LONG list of issues. ....:banghead:

I'm going to have a TON of questions. ..!!!!

:cheers:

Hey MrJLR -

I would so love to but I'm already obligated to Plastic Fantastic in San Diego on Sunday. Taking my cherry ''74 Stingray. ..!

Keep me in the loop on any other events please!

I got it! :cheers:

Flew up there, did the deed, and drove it 900 miles back home!
15 hours of driving - not a single problem!

I only got 4 hours of sleep so I'll post a ton of pics in a while.

LONG list of issues. ....:banghead:

I'm going to have a TON of questions. ..!!!!

Great! :cheers:

We're here when you get rested and some pictures to post. :D

Fire away... :glasses7:

And if you don't post any pictures, we won't help you... LOL! Just kidding... :D

But the pictures can help us spot some issues...

that how i got my 67 notch! it was an eBay purchase. Took a plane to San Jose on Thursday in February, checked a bag of tools including easy things like a balast resistor, end ECU. Then drove it home to IL for Work Monday morning. never been out west so we stopped at the Grand Canyon etc... then cannonballed it home.

95% of the trip was what other seats we could put in the car. They were original whats left of the foam and MURDER.

Glad you got it and it was a good adventure!

And I thought the 4 hour drive to get my 67 Notch home was bold!
But sounds like you have a sound plan.
And anyways the cool stories are never the boring ones.
Some of my best are road side "quirks" with my Challenger to and from Carlisle.

Congrats and good luck!

OK....I washed it a little and here it is in it's new home in Chino!
Sitting next to my '74 Stingray.....they both got a little bath.....

Attachments

• 20150516_150919_zpsrq0ffrri.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20150516_151058_zpscuemcl2d.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150516_151051_zpshrirjjyk.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 20150516_151037_zpsggy2pmoj.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150516_151027_zpsg6id0lag.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 20150516_151019_zpsj4yxpmom.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150516_151012_zpssk7xfxcu.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150516_150952_zpsvc6kyctz.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150516_150935_zpsll9edp0o.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 20150516_150928_zpsmgtpripk.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 176
And some more...

Attachments

• 20150516_151256_zpsnfkd2eun.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20150516_151251_zpsnak2oljo.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20150516_151245_zpsybg8figj.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20150516_151234_zpswgpnyg7p.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 20150516_151230_zps1u7dfi3l.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20150516_151221_zpsjsnowcty.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 20150516_151212_zpsq6pxy7me.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20150516_151113_zpsmdcpy3gg.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 20150516_151107_zps2ls9mfqm.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 170
And now some questions.....
The main issues to make this a driver are:

* The brakes have a MEAN vibration and a shimmy/wobble/pull...
* There is a howling sound from the rear end
* I think the tranny is shot - although it shifts, is SLAMS in 2nd and makes a gurgling sound...???
* Gonna need a front suspension rebuild...

OK, any ideas or opinions on that list?
Where are the best sources for parts for:
* Interior
* Suspension
* Trim pieces
* What transmission do I have behind my 318? (If I was to just buy a new one.
* How can I tell my rear end gear - at 50mph, I'm actually going 60mph so I think someone has messed with it...

The engine actually runs pretty good (for the time being!)

Missing rear window regulators.....gonna have to dig in there and see what the heck is going on...

I'm sure I'll have a TON more questions as I get to know her :D

But to sum up, to make her a driver (to start) I need to address:
* Brakes
* Steering/Suspension
* Transmission
* Rear end howl

Thanks in advance - :cheers:

* I think the tranny is shot - although it shifts, is SLAMS in 2nd and makes a gurgling sound...???

* Interior
* Suspension
* Trim pieces
* How can I tell my rear end gear - at 50mph, I'm actually going 60mph so I think someone has messed with it...

Missing rear window regulators.....gonna have to dig in there and see what the heck is going on...

* Brakes
* Steering/Suspension
* Transmission
* Rear end howl

That sucks. I guess it's not exactly as it was described:

PRICE LOWERED! 1968 Plymouth Barracuda, 2 door hardtop coupe 8-cyl. 318cid 4 bbl selling for $9,800 cash. Otherwise it will go to a local show and sold there.

My mechanic is selling this car for one of his customers so he knows it inside and out. It is in very good running condition and the body is straight plus has been painted. The car has been kept in storage but started right up.

Please call Ron weekdays 8-4 for more details, thank you! If you get the message machine, leave a message. If he doesn't call back, call him again. He's a busy guy. If you want him to call you, email your phone number and I'll pass it on immediately. Emails without a callback number will be trashed.

* Interior
* Suspension
* Trim pieces

* Brakes
* Steering/Suspension
* Transmission
* Rear end howl

Figure out what disk brakes and rim bolt pattern you have. If it have 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers it's most likely 5 on 4" oddball 60-72 A-body bolt pattern.

Do you do the work like front suspension stuff yourself or pay someone to do it?

Jack car up and do a front end condition analysis. Like check wheel bearing adjustment, idler, pitman, tie rods, lower control arm bushings, strut bushings. Typical first things to go are the idler arm, driver side lower control arm bushing on a power steering car that leaks(leaked) on the bushing.

Transmission is most likely a 904. Need to look at trans pan bolt pattern to ID.

For rear end howl you should check what rear end you have before putting any money into it. First check the fluid level and fill it if its low. If it's a 7 1/4 rear, might be cheaper just to replace it with a good used unit. That or consider a 8 1/4 rear end with large bolt rim pattern. That decision might factor in with what condition and type your front disk are.

I knew and expected it would have a lot of issues. ....I'm not bummed by it. I like fixing up an old treasure!

Regardless, I'm going to bring her back to life and make her an awesome car again.

It's just time and money right ?!!!!!!

Figure out what disk brakes and rim bolt pattern you have. If it have 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers it's most likely 5 on 4" oddball 60-72 A-body bolt pattern.

Do you do the work like front suspension stuff yourself or pay someone to do it?

Jack car up and do a front end condition analysis. Like check wheel bearing adjustment, idler, pitman, tie rods, lower control arm bushings, strut bushings. Typical first things to go are the idler arm, driver side lower control arm bushing on a power steering car that leaks(leaked) on the bushing.

Transmission is most likely a 904. Need to look at trans pan bolt pattern to ID.

For rear end howl you should check what rear end you have before putting any money into it. First check the fluid level and fill it if its low. If it's a 7 1/4 rear, might be cheaper just to replace it with a good used unit. That or consider a 8 1/4 rear end with large bolt rim pattern. That decision might factor in with what condition and type your front disk are.

Thanks!

Yes - I do 99% of my repairs myself.
I'll have to start identifying what parts I've got in there.
Can't wait to get some time and put her up on stands, pull the wheels and see what's going on in there...!!!

Parts suppliers?
Especially interior parts ?

I'd start going through it from front to back. Assume nothing. Check function of everything. Clean all connections.

1st off, the 'cuda is much better lookin' than that 'Vette....... :D

Here's a picture to show you the different shape trans pans to tell the 904 from a 727. The 904 has the square shape with the one "cut" corner, the 727 has the funny "jog"...

To tell rear end gear ratio, jack up the back of the car by the axle, put the trans in neutral, then spin the tire one full turn and count how many turns the u-joint makes. That will be your ratio... (for open rear ends try using pass rear tire to check).

View attachment gasket.jpg

Here's a picture to show you the different shape trans pans to tell the 904 from a 727.

To tell rear end gear ratio, jack up the back of the car by the axle, put the trans in neutral, then spin the tire one full turn and count how many turns the u-joint makes. That will be your ratio... (for open rear ends try using pass rear tire to check).

View attachment 1714816120

Awesome!
I'm gonna get under there tomorrow and find out what tyranny I have!

-
Back