new guy considering buying a 65 valiant

-

Scotty67

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm new to the board here. I signed up because I'm thinking of buying a 65 Valiant and am hoping to educate myself prior to making the deal.
If there is any specific threads here on buying tips, please let me know?

The car is a basic 2 door post with a slant 6 auto. I know it needs floors and frame work but the body, trim and interior all look ok. I've located floor & frame goodies at Auto Body Specialty, but haven't been able to find anyone who sells body panels for this car. I sense that there aren't a lot of parts out there for these, so I'd like to be very careful in this buy. Any suggestions regarding key problem areas and crossover models/years would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Well Scott, first let me welcome you to the wonderful land of FABO. You came to the right place for answers, and I'll try to help if I can....

First, you need to make sure you aren't overpaying for what sounds like a pretty big project. Frame repair is not something to take lightly, and most of the time it's not what you see, but what you don't. If the car needs floors, frame repair and body work, your money would be better spent on finding a much better example. The work to replace the floor and any frame rust will be much more than that of locating a nicer example. You can easily be into just the parts at close to $1000, and double that if you need to pay to have it done. So, lets do the math...$2000.00 for parts and labor just to do the floors and frame stuff, and no telling how much for body work, on top of a purchase price of lets just say $1000.00 and you're in the $3000.00 range just to get started. I've seen some pretty nice examples running and driving of early A cars sell here for $2500-3000!!!

So if you buy the car and are heading into repair land, you should be looking for any 1964 or 65 Valiant, Cuda or for some parts like the floors even Darts. There are also some crossover parts from 1966 examples of each model listed, but for the correct body lines for rear qtrs and such, a 64 or 65 car would be preferred.

Theres always someone on here parting out an early A, so if you get the car, make yourself a thread here and ask for specific areas in need. Not a "what cha got" type thread, but specific stuff, so your audience can check those exact areas to be sure you're getting exactly what you need!!

So, any of this gonna help?? Only you can review the car and make a determination on what your skill level is compared to what skill level the car is gonna demand. Hopefully, you got it in the bag and can catch yourself a deal on the little Valiant. They're great cars to drive and hop up, and lets face it...chicks dig 'em!!! Geof

thanks very much cosgig. The welding work is my forte, bodywork is not so I'm still considering this purchase IF the body looks good on closer inspection. I have access to shears & brakes, so frame work and floors *should* be cheap if I make my own panels. That is, IF as you say things arent bad elsewhere. I dont intend this car to be a true resto as it will likely get built for some street duty. (likely a k member & engine swap)

Scotty
COSGIG has it right. You must start with a clean and rust free A-Body. It's hard enough to get the job done right without having to do a lot of extra work that will discourage you. I know I've been there. Early A-bodys are cool and a lot of
fun, but plan ahead and execute to the plan. To many projects start in one direction and morph into something that quickly derails. Good luck on your project. Here's mine. I'm happy to help anytime.

Attachments

• My Pictures12.10.070003.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 337
  • My Pictures12.10.070007.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 346
Rust: check front lower edge of front door, at base of front windshield support for blisters, under heel by gas pedal...Dont consider fat tires int he rear, not the best design to slap the meats on. K is not special to either engine family, just need a dropped center link and a V8 throttle cable for a conversion. Headers are a bear, so are body parts..Fun cars though, nice and light.

If the one you are considering is too much of a basket case and you still have your heart set on a 65 Valiant, don't rule out the possibility of buying a cleaner one and having it brought to you. Not sure what car import laws are like in Canada but it may be more cost effective to start with a better rust-free foundation coming from the US Southwest or similar than trying to build one up with a lot of frame and body rust. I looked forever locally to find a 64/65 Valiant and ended up buying a really nice rust free one from the high desert in California. At the end of the day it was still cheaper to buy and have it trailered to my house, cross country in Florida then buying and fixing up a local rust bucket. Just an example;
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3458112491.html

Best of luck and welcome to the club!

Oi, 2500 for THAT? I would offer $600...Perhaps I am spoiled with a large metropolitan car pool to choose from.

Oi, 2500 for THAT? I would offer $600...Perhaps I am spoiled with a large metropolitan car pool to choose from.

$2500 is def too much for that car. Just trying to illustrate the point that somewhat "rust free" cars can still be found. There probably a dime-a-dozen where you are. Seems they always pop up on CL in Southern Cal or in the northwest. Those early As must have been super popular in that part of the country when they came out.

Thanks everyone, I've yet to see this car and the shadow of doubt is climbing rapidly. This car is under 1K and I'm being told that this car has had a previous body job back in the 80's. I suspect this car needs major surgery underneath as it comes with a donor cross member so its likely full of filler everywhere else. I'm still going to make the trip out, but I'm not holding my breath. Good, smaller mid 60's 2 door cars are tough to find around here in my price range...but I don't want a lifetime project....just a sweet looking driver that is a blast to drive.

Blewby, that is a sweet looking machine - the exact look I'm after!

I had my 66 Dart shipped from Alabama(paid too much at the time)and the Canadian dollar was at 68cents/1$ U.S :banghead:.If I was to do it again,I would buy from Arizona...totally rustfree but interior pieces fried from sun can be easily replaced.JMO.I would zone in on CL cars in Arizona,then have Hansons in Scarborough,Ontario make the trip for pickup.JMO Good luck in your search for an Early-A.
View attachment DSC_0435.jpg

View attachment trim 013.jpg

View attachment car pics 66 Dart 002.jpg

View attachment 340 dyno 4.JPG

I would pass. Early A's are plentiful and cheap. Be patient and wait for one that doesn't need so much surgery. Frame work is no joke. I know I'm far away but rust free 65 Valiant's pop up on my local craigslist for $1000 all the time.

OK now, if it's under $1000 I would consider snagging it up for as cheep as possible for a parts car and look for a better example too. You can sell almost anything off the early A's, so making your money back as you go is almost a given!!

Is it close enough to Detroit to give me a shout if you pass?? Geof

Go look, post pics, that's what i did, these dudes on here inspired my buddie to get a 66 dart.

OK now, if it's under $1000 I would consider snagging it up for as cheep as possible for a parts car and look for a better example too. You can sell almost anything off the early A's, so making your money back as you go is almost a given!!

Is it close enough to Detroit to give me a shout if you pass?? Geof

I've been in contact but have yet to see it. Owner says the car is savable and is letting it go because he has too many projects. I'm hoping to go tomorrow and will take photos if I do. If I decide to pass, I will let you know.

I would pass. Early A's are plentiful and cheap. Be patient and wait for one that doesn't need so much surgery. Frame work is no joke. I know I'm far away but rust free 65 Valiant's pop up on my local craigslist for $1000 all the time.

Thanks...yes, I would give my eye teeth for a Cali car!! I just dont have the cash or means to transport one 3900 kms/2500 miles back here. I'd be there in a heartbeat! If its toast underneath, I'll leave it there. I know that any rust is really 3-5 times worse once you open it up

These are great but really inexpensive cars- it is really easy to be way upside down money wise on one. Even without seeing it this cars sounds like a $500 parts car. But still it might be worth it for the interior & trim parts.

Nobody has mentioned that Valiants are really difficult to sell.

Just as all the others have posted above us early A guys love what we got and are not afraid to put money and time into our babies! However you need to start with a decent car to begin the upgrade to a decent modern road car, unless trying to do a perfect classic antique, which is a rare car indeed. I have done a 66 cuda for street driving and drag racing back over 15 yrs ago it was a fast car, run into by an old man coming out of his driveway, a sad day indeed! Now just about done restoring a street driver 65 formula s Barracuda my love of life! It is a true street car just for daily fun in the sun! Disc brakes up front 318 4bbl electronic ignition set up. Simple yet will run a 15 second quarter mile if wanting to go to track again. 14 inch ralley wheels modern u joint upgrade to driveshaft, all cost money for sure! The car was clean, needed a little spot repaired for rust and the floor pans replaced, thats it! It now will get a paint job and will be done for sure a good daily driver, pump gas pedal three times turn the key and zoom it starts every time! So just be patient find a good solid a body and have some fun!!! Reality of todays market is you will put in more then you will get back so enjoy the ride, smile and pass Mustangs with a wave of the hand everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65CudaLover!!!

These are great but really inexpensive cars- it is really easy to be way upside down money wise on one. Even without seeing it this cars sounds like a $500 parts car. But still it might be worth it for the interior & trim parts.

Nobody has mentioned that Valiants are really difficult to sell.
Any thing from 63 to 66 is a hard sell lol Barracuda to darts .

-
Back