New Job!!

-

74Dusterkid

Reaction score
This morning at about 10 my teacher from my technical school called and told me that i will have a job at bermont motors a chrysler,dodge,jeep dealer in the service department as an "apprentice". he also said that i will be getting co-op learning at school when it starts so i can leave school at 11 and go to work. and i will be dual enrolled in my tech school and north hampton community college so that i can take the chrysler cat program at the same time.

thank you every one he said i should start by the first week in august and im only 17 i guess being number 1 in the auto class for the year helps

Way to go 74Dusterkid.:cheers: I wish you the best of luck.
I was born in Reading and lived about a mile away from the Maple Grove Raceway back in 1976 when I was 10. We use to go to the pool all the time. I hear its gone now. My brother would cruise around Pottstown in his 442 back then, his best friend Ray still live's in the area.

Cool man, I went through the Chrysler CAP program a long time ago and got my co-op job at a mom and pop chrysler dealership in sewickley, PA.

My scool was on neville island, Teacher was Brian Kerr, nice guy.

Man I learned so much about cars in that school.

I found out early that chrysler did not pay me what i was worth so I decided to go to a mercedes dealership, got tired of flat rate after a few years and now I'm running my own mobile repair business on Mercedes only, but that chrysler school taught me all the fundamentals that I needed to work on vehicles and most systems are the same.

I talked to Goody "goodysgottacuda", he went through the german car program and seems to be doing well.

Remember if you get your *** beat working on chryslers you might want to look into working on the highline cars, don't worry they are very similar to chrysler anyways, especially after the daimler chrysler thing.

Good luck.

thank you everyone yea he said that about the mercedes program but now you have to start with the chrysler program then move to the mercedes program when they see you eccel in the chrysler and then move you up to get the best techs they can.

and maple grove raceway is still there but i dont know about the pool. and in pottstown they now cut high street down to only one lane each way so there is no more cruisin.

You lucky bastard:-D

Tried that when I was younger but no one was looking for apprentice at the time and I could not cut it on shop wages for new comers:angry7:

im suprised i even made it in cause chrysler closed about 6 dealers in the local area and only two were left that were feasible for me to get to and the first that i applied at with the school took me in. cause most of the techs from the closed shops went to the other two i and i thought that they would want money making techs instead of a highschool kid trying to learn and just costing them money.

That,s great news!I started years ago as apprendice,I ended up applying at Ford plant and got hired.Figured I,d work there a few years and move on,well that was 22 years ago,wages and benefits can,t be beat.I,ll be retired at 54,hopefully healthy and start my own bussiness?Good luck on your career!

Good luck and congratulations!

Sometimes, shop managers want someone without work experience and preconceived notions so they can train them in their way of getting things done and shop etiquette. Apprentices are much easier to manage than some crusty old guy with 25 years of experience too. Get the experience and run with it. Good luck to you and I and wish you the best.

Good move and congrat's 74Dusterkid.:cheers:
Know all I need to hear is a couple of our other members getting called back to work.:clock: That sure would make my day to.

Good for you! We had a kid come through one of the Ford dealerships I was at on program like yours and they fast tracked him for diesel certs. (Schmuck! I was offered $31.00 an hour in Florida if I'd gotten mine.) So this can pay off in the long run. Congratulations on the job and the opportunity.

Good luck and congratulations!

Sometimes, shop managers want someone without work experience and preconceived notions so they can train them in their way of getting things done and shop etiquette. Apprentices are much easier to manage than some crusty old guy with 25 years of experience too. Get the experience and run with it. Good luck to you and I and wish you the best.

Yes, this is very true, and they can pay a trainee much less than a crotchety 25 year veteran as well.

The benz dealer I worked at last had decided to force the old guys and specialty techs like engine and trans only guys out of the shop to make rom for lower pay trainees.

About every ten years they do this to weed out the higher pay guys.

IN this economy most tech are barely turning 20-30 hrs flat rate because nobody is taking their cars to the shop, and if they are, they are skimping and getting oil changes only.
Lotsa little piddly jobs.

You are one lucky person with the way things are in the world work today. Do a good job and keep your nose clean as they say...
Ccongratulations!

Yes, this is very true, and they can pay a trainee much less than a crotchety 25 year veteran as well.

The benz dealer I worked at last had decided to force the old guys and specialty techs like engine and trans only guys out of the shop to make rom for lower pay trainees.

About every ten years they do this to weed out the higher pay guys.

IN this economy most tech are barely turning 20-30 hrs flat rate because nobody is taking their cars to the shop, and if they are, they are skimping and getting oil changes only.
Lotsa little piddly jobs.

You had that, too? Last flat rate tech job I had I was offered an hourly with flat rate incentive and the straight flat rate boss couldn't understand why I jumped on it. Let's see, my last two days on the straight flat rate I made 5 hours combined, and I was offered a job that guaranteed 40 with a flat rate bonus to do jobs in a flat rate time. And the boss couldn't understand why I was leaving to take it... My bonuses each week were more than I was making working straight flat rate...
Flat rate is good for the employer, not the employee. Won't do it again, unless it's on the collision side. Last flat rate job I had in collision I could bank 100-125 hours a week and carry to the slow periods.

thanks everyone he should be calling back cause the owners are on vacation some where and cant get in touch until they get back.

Cool man, I went through the Chrysler CAP program a long time ago and got my co-op job at a mom and pop chrysler dealership in sewickley, PA.

My scool was on neville island, Teacher was Brian Kerr, nice guy.

Man I learned so much about cars in that school.

I found out early that chrysler did not pay me what i was worth so I decided to go to a mercedes dealership, got tired of flat rate after a few years and now I'm running my own mobile repair business on Mercedes only, but that chrysler school taught me all the fundamentals that I needed to work on vehicles and most systems are the same.

I talked to Goody "goodysgottacuda", he went through the german car program and seems to be doing well.

Remember if you get your *** beat working on chryslers you might want to look into working on the highline cars, don't worry they are very similar to chrysler anyways, especially after the daimler chrysler thing.

Good luck.

Wow, my dad grew up in McKees Rocks. My grandfather worked at Dravo on Neville Island. Small world.

-
Back