new member from south carolina (69 dart swinger 340)

-

450ER

Reaction score
hey guys glad i found this site. I'm not a new dart owner really but am just getting back into it. 28 year old from louisiana (living in south carolina now though). my dad grew up racing a 69 dart swinger which my uncle still has to this day in his garage, 4 speed, 340, original paint. he will not give up that car i've tried so many times to buy it back so i had to settle on another dart.

I found my '69 Dart back in 1999 when i was still in high school for $500. it had grass and weeds grown over it and it was full of trash. dad and I rescued it from the field. it didnt have a motor at the time but we knew the guy had the numbers matching 340 and 727 transmission in a dodge pickup drag truck. the guy wouldnt sale it to me. we took the dart anyways, picked up a '78 dodge diplomat police car with 318 (360 heads) and rebuilt it and 727 and i drag raced the car and drove the 318 dart on the street for a couple years. sometime between 1999 and 2001. too big of a cam and no stall converter so it was slowwww off the line, but still ran some 14's and was a blast to drive.

a few months after we got the car running the guy called and told us, come get the 340 and transmission now for $1,000 before he changes his mind. luckily i had been saving for a truck so i had the cash to deal. dad and i went over there, test drove the drag truck in the street, then proceeded to pull the motor right there in the driveway. that 340 (bored 30 over i think) and 727 has been sitting in my dad's shop since. also the dart has been sitting outside at my dads place in louisiana for all this time.

i moved to SC in 2002, got married, thought i had a baby (long story short.... she cheated on me, baby not mine, getting divorced now) which leads to where we are now. complete chaos! getting back to my roots, going to get this car from louisiana and start drag racing here in SC. got lots of parts sitting at my dads shop that he and i both got over the years and never did anything with. i'm pretty sure we have 2 or 3 727 tranmissions, maybe 1 904, that 318/727 thats in it now, the original 340/727, various other blocks, 2 or 3 sets of x-heads, a few different carbs 750 and 850's, i believe it has 4.30 gears now in the 8 3/4 rear end. i think we have a complete set of drag tires and wheels as well (maybe 9"?).

the interior is completely gutted except for the dash, i dont have headlinder or seats or door panels or anything like that. but all the glass is there, bumpers, grill (is ok), taillights, cheap headers. i will get some pics up ASAP. planning to go get the car sometime in the spring. (1500 mile roundtrip, should be fun)
although i do have a title for this car i dont really see driving it on the street, i dont know how to behave and it will result in some tickets and possibly impoundment. hahahha, so the plan for now is to just race it. I will post some pics ASAP

here are some old pictures

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

Welcome to FABO, 450ER, from sunny SoCal. You're going to have fun here.
That old pic reminds of when I got off the plane after arriving for Army basic training at Ft. Polk, LA, way back in '71. I was wearing only a pair of jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirt, and nylon windbreaker because I thought I would be spending a warm winter in the South. Got off the plane and it was sleeting! Just about froze until we got uniforms issued almost a week later.

Hello and welcome..........Great to have you...........Looks like you have some work to do like me........Have fun.........I know iam. All the best.

i wanna move down to SC cant stand this cold , ny has no race tracks everything is over priced and you move at 200 MPH ,, besides that welcome toooooo FABO

Welcome from NC. I miss my home state and there are a few strips around the NC/SC border if you are near there.

great car, enjoy . this is a great site.

well it's been a while since I first posted but I'm back!

I have some good news. we got the car running over the holidays when I went home to visit family in Louisiana. it had been sitting since 2001 when I last drove it. bad news is, the car looks worse than i remember, oh well. it can be... it will be fixed.

I could not bring the car back with me just yet due to trailer issues but my dad is going to bring it to me in the spring time. I spent a week digging out parts in my dad's shop. I found a TON of goodies (i think)

2 sets of X heads
1 set of J heads
the original 340/727 (complete)
complete set of rims
3 different intakes
4 holley carbs
a couple shifters
complete set of harland sharp roller rockers (looks like these still retail for $700!)
some adjustable pushrods
couple sets of lifters.... solid and hydraulic
and probably some other stuff i'm forgetting right now....

ok, here she is on video.... this is with that 318/904 in it.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/34713808"]1969 dodge dart on Vimeo[/ame]

rough i know. but so glad to hear it cranked up! cant wait to rebuild and drop that 340 in it later this year.

-
Back