new Pennzoil commercial!

-

gdtmdan

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the new Pennzoil commercial? I think every car they specify on is a MOPAR :headbang:. I think the future oil in my mopars is going to be Pennzoil :blob:

I know Pennzoil has a good name but I believe its paraffin base oil. I work in the oilfield and deal with that stuff all day. Really nasty stuff but I might be wrong. I hear the Pennzoil gunks up really bad because of it. But igright be wrong. IMO.

I know Pennzoil has a good name but I believe its paraffin base oil. I work in the oilfield and deal with that stuff all day. Really nasty stuff but I might be wrong. I hear the Pennzoil gunks up really bad because of it. But igright be wrong. IMO.

I've heard that before too.

I used to use only Pennzoil back when I first started driving and working on my own car - until I saw how badly it gunked up somebody elses engine that we were tearing down.
I've only used Valvoline since then and never had a problem.

Pennzoil bad? I thought Quaker State was the funky stuff? I just use the Wallymart stuff....My Breeze leaks so bad I never change it, just keep filling it! here is the lowdown from Quakerstate on paraffin base...looks like most auto oil is paraffinic.

There are two basic types of crude oil, naphthenic and paraffinic. Most conventional engine lubricating oils today are made from paraffinic crude oil. Paraffinic crude oil is recognized for its ability to resist thinning and thickening with temperature, as well as its lubricating properties and resistance to oxidation (sludge-forming tendencies). In the refining process, the paraffinic crude oil is broken down into many different products. One of the products is wax, and others are gasoline, kerosene, lubricating oils, asphalt, etc. Virtually every oil company uses paraffinic base stocks in blending its conventional engine oil products.

Many people believe the term paraffinic to be synonymous with wax. Some have the misconception that paraffinic oils will coat the engine with a wax film that can result in engine deposits. This is not true. The confusion exists because paraffinic molecules can form wax crystals at low temperatures. In lubricating oils, this wax is removed in a refining process called dewaxing. Wax is a premium product obtained from crude oil and to help us produce the highest-quality base stocks available, Quaker State® uses base stocks with the minimum amount of wax possible. The end result is a motor oil product formulated with premium lubricating base oil.

Havoline is another with far too much paraffin in it. The stuff sets up like black candle wax all over everything in any area where it is allowed to cool a little ( especially under the rocker cover ). This is why every mfgr went to hotter thermostats and hotter engine operating temps.
Pennzoil is probably the leader in recycling oil.
Good for the environment ? Sure.
Good for their profit margin ? I have to assume it is.
Good for older engines ? Who knows. I don't want to find out the hard way that it's not.

i used to use only pennzoil back when i first started driving and working on my own car - until i saw how badly it gunked up somebody elses engine that we were tearing down.
i've only used valvoline since then and never had a problem.

x2

I just saw the commercial tonight and I also just saw a castrol commercial and it also has all Mopar! :cheers:

Huh. The jiffylube commercial I just saw was also all Mopar... Mopar takin over? :glasses7:

Pennzoil is the official oil for Mopar's "Exprees Lube" at all their dealerships. Most dealerships now use Pennzoil as thier contracted engine oil supplier.

My old Boss at Napa swore by Brad Penn Oil and put it in everything he owned.
Brad Penn is not a real person, it's short for Bradford, PA where it comes from. It's the old Kendall refinery bought from Sunoco when they bought out Kendall.
I believe all of it(or at least what he carried) was synthetic blend. Mid priced stuff and almost as green as antifreeze. Never used it myself.
BTW I still use Napa brand oil because it's just Valvoline(Ashland Oil of KY) in a different bottle and quite a bit cheaper. Don't tell Valvoline I told you this.......

Mobil 1 gents! All my vehicles get the full syn.

You are not wrong.
I have seen crap a half inch thick in engines.
Hate that crap, and only use it for killing ants.

Havoline is another with far too much paraffin in it. The stuff sets up like black candle wax all over everything in any area where it is allowed to cool a little ( especially under the rocker cover ). This is why every mfgr went to hotter thermostats and hotter engine operating temps.
Pennzoil is probably the leader in recycling oil.
Good for the environment ? Sure.
Good for their profit margin ? I have to assume it is.
Good for older engines ? Who knows. I don't want to find out the hard way that it's not.

I have ran Havoline all my life and it isn't unusual to have gotten 200K to 300K miles out of my motors without issues. The few that I have tore down weren't sludged up at all.

You are not wrong.
I have seen crap a half inch thick in engines.
Hate that crap, and only use it for killing ants.

Me too.

Pennzoil and Quaker State are the same type oil and will result in the same issues.

-
Back