New Ride

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
After selling both of my other cars in 2008 and after about two years of searching, I finally pulled the trigger on a new ride - the '71 Dart you see below.

I had been looking for something I didn't have to completely take apart to paint and in a color I liked. B5 blue is my favorite color, so I hit the mark there. To my untrained eye, it looks like mostly original paint on this thing. It's from the west coast and there is really no serious rust to speak of. There is some though - a spot on the hood and some surface rust in the trunk but no rot like an east coast car. It's mostly straight except for the front and rear valance which have dings, but hopefully should be relatively easy to correct.

I also wanted something from the 'muscle era' and '71 fit that bill too. I had soured on my long-term early B body Bel. I project a while back and my early A Valiant presented a few inherent hot-rodding logistics problems. It also needed a total restoration which turned me off. I had been looking for a Duster or Demon but never left a Dart out of the picture. This one definitely caught my eye and I made the deal.

It's a Swinger model with ye olde 318, column shifted auto. 14" rallies, A/C, B5 bench interior. P.O. had disk brakes installed and a set of sweet-sounding Flowmaster muffs.

I think I made out and plan to keep this one for a while. Plans are for some weight reduction, small-block stroker, manual-valve automatic, 8 3/4 and Cal Tracs. This is going to be my ultimate street machine which I hope to go 11's with someday. It will need to be painted and a new vinyl installed top but it's OK for the time being. For now, I'm going to POR 15 the trunk and drive it as-is.

Please see the pics of it being unloaded off the carrier as it arrived at my house (which we incidentially moved into on Saturday). Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

Greg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

I love it! Personally the 70 /71 darts and swingers are my favorite mopars ever! Still not sure why I dont own another one?

B5 is an awesome color too.
Nice Find!!
joe

Love it! I am rather partial to 68-71 Darts myself. I owned several 70 Darts myself. Enjoy!

oooo i really like it. That will probably be my next mopar.. once i win money somehow. =D

It looks like you got a great car to start with and I like the plan you have for it. I will keep a lookout for you at Englishtown in the Spring and Carlisle in the Summer.

Looks great !! I could feel your anticipation and excitement as they were unloading it in those pics.... righteous.

-RPM

It looks like you got a great car to start with and I like the plan you have for it. I will keep a lookout for you at Englishtown in the Spring and Carlisle in the Summer.

I'll be at both events, no doubt.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. It's a good car, I'm really stoked. I've never had such a good starting point for a project. I think my plans are realistic too, hope I can get them all done sooner than later!

Very nizzze =P~
And it sure looks like all the chrome trim is good :cheers:

Congrat's Real nice find and it's a driver.:-D

Good looking home too.

Nice ride and home!Wait til you wake up in a couple days and open the garage and say!Yeah!That,s my ride!!No other feeling like it.Congrats on the nice home also.:cheers:

Did I see people peeking out from behind curtains, and mumbling"there goes the neighborhood"?:toothy10:
New house, new car...lifes great eh? Your car has a really nice stance,congrats.

that B5 is really nice looking! I too really like the '71 swingers.

Did I see people peeking out from behind curtains, and mumbling"there goes the neighborhood"?:toothy10:
New house, new car...lifes great eh? Your car has a really nice stance,congrats.

I know, I was thinking that myself. They probably knew what they were in for though when I unloaded my guitars, Marshall amplifier and drum kit...

-
Back