** New Ritter SBM Build using Victor Series SB Heads**

-
Have some Ritter blocks cracked? Guy l was talking to at the machine shop said something about it...any truth to it?

Cracked during machining? Mine didn't still building my ritter motor, but a few blocks are out there and running both cast iron and aluminum.

He said it was in the lifter valley...I assume it was on the dyno or track.

18 bolt heads & block
The Victor heads are drilled incorrectly on the inner bolt holes they dont go through the head only about 1.5 inches up from the bottom like a HEMI head even if you drill right through the head they wont line up with the threaded holes in the Ritter block was talking with Kent to Dave from Edelbrock about the mistake but never got a final answer . I plugged the block holes then redrilled & tapped to match the head

The strange bit is if you look at the original inner hole it is on the edge of the boss most people said this was due to core shift but when the block is redrilled to match the Hemi centre on the Victor head every bolt hole lines up in the centre of the boss like the inner bolt holes were cast using Hemi measurement

Shiloh’s block has developed cracks in the lifter valley around the cam bearing area. He’s posted picts on Moparts. I know the prob first arose as his roller cam bearings were walking out of position. The made some retainer tabs to keep them in place, and later discovered cracks.

Shiloh’s block has developed cracks in the lifter valley around the cam bearing area. He’s posted picts on Moparts. I know the prob first arose as his roller cam bearings were walking out of position. The made some retainer tabs to keep them in place, and later discovered cracks.

Ouch!!!

Shilohs was a first gen block too, the casting has gotten a lot better, I showed him some pictures from my ritter block and even he said it looks way better compared. He had alot of issues with his block but look what hes doing with it. Wish I'd didnt have another set back else mine would be closer to running, my set back is heads not block, when I had mine machined no problems there, I took mine to QMP who did Shilohs block so they know them well.

I think QMP has seen every Ritter on the west coast... and for very good reason! I can think of three others besides yours that have been there :) now hopefully some of these mills will get screwed together and on the track.

I am trying believe me lol, hopefully soon. See how these block handle some boost. QMP are the best on the west, worth my drive a good hour and a half one way lol.

“Hour and a half one way”...... so about 30 miles in the Inland

I should be at Match Race with Shiloh. Stop by if you’re attending

When is the match race and where? Lol pretty much, that one hour is just getting past Pasadena lol

I am going to start a new engine build. This will be about a 9 month or so project so bare with me.. haha

The block is in stock and should arrive in California in the next few weeks where the fun will begin.

Cubic inch I have not decided yet but 482 CI SBM sounds good to me! Go big or go home??

Base of the build will be off of the Ritter Block.

- Cast iron small block Chrysler XR Ritter

- 318 / 340 main journal

- 50mm roller bearing cam tunnel

- 5 billet steel main caps with main studs - This is done and line honed already

- 9.600” deck height

- 48 degree lifter bore angle with standard Chrysler bore diameter - Will be bushed

- Siamese cylinder design

- Factory style and location motor mounts - Motor plate will be used.

I will be using the Victor series Edelbrock heads... This will be EFI since I already have the computer. I also have all the timing accessories, wheel, distributor pick up etc. I have everything for the boost except the choice of poison "Turbo's or Procharger" and the intake or injectors. I do have the Elbow, Throttle body and all the sensors, wiring harnesses etc.

Of course it will have a Solid Roller.. with the "Nasty sounding *****" grind! Lol

Brian at IMM Engines will be assisting on the build. It will most likely be broke in with a carb N/A then it will get installed in the car, boost added and off to Cunningham Motorsports in Temecula Ca for the EFI Tuning.

Lots of other things will be changed while the car is under the knife. K Frame, motor plate, Mid Plate, Clean up firewall and repaint under the hood. Complete rewire. I will finally be installing my Custom dash that has been on my parts shelf for 5 years or so, new gauges, New front seats "Race Buckets" etc.

Stay tuned.....
I am going to start a new engine build. This will be about a 9 month or so project so bare with me.. haha

The block is in stock and should arrive in California in the next few weeks where the fun will begin.

Cubic inch I have not decided yet

Cubic inch I have not decided yet but 482 CI SBM sounds good to me! Go big or go home??

- 318 / 340 main journal

- 5 billet steel main caps with main studs - This is done and line honed already

- 9.600” deck height

- 48 degree lifter bore angle with standard Chrysler bore diameter - Will be bushed

I will be using the Victor series Edelbrock heads... This will be EFI since I already have the computer. I also have all the timing accessories, wheel, distributor pick up etc. I have everything for the boost except the choice of poison "Turbo's or Procharger" and the intake or injectors. I do have the Elbow, Throttle body and all the sensors, wiring harnesses etc.

Of course it will have a Solid Roller.. with the "Nasty sounding *****" grind! Lol

Brian at IMM Engines will be assisting on the build. It will most likely be broke in with a carb N/A then it will get installed in the car, boost added and off to Cunningham Motorsports in Temecula Ca for the EFI Tuning.

Lots of other things will be changed while the car is under the knife. K Frame, motor plate, Mid Plate, Clean up firewall and repaint under the hood. Complete rewire. I will finally be installing my Custom dash that has been on my parts shelf for 5 years or so, new gauges, New front seats "Race Buckets" etc.

Stay tuned.....

but 482 CI SBM sounds good to me! Go big or go home??

- 318 / 340 main journal

- 9.600” deck height

Stay tuned.....

- 318 / 340 main journal

- 9.600” deck height

Stay tuned.....
I have built 2 Ritter blocked engines. Make sure the oil drains and venting is correct. If not it won't make it off the Dyno in one piece.

What list of those mods would you recommend? I did some on my block that I got from a guy on moparts that he did on his aluminum version. I got from him to make sure the rear drain isn't right on the oil pan, drill 1/2" holes in the cam tunnel for draining. I'll find my list. But do share yours please.

Last edited:
Were they the newer blocks?

Btw Shiloh blasted a 5.3 at Irwindale last week.

@Mad Dart Has there been any progress or updates on this build plan? I am still not seeing much on the small block Victor heads and wondering if this one is still in the works?

The Victor heads are drilled incorrectly on the inner bolt holes they dont go through the head only about 1.5 inches up from the bottom like a HEMI head even if you drill right through the head they wont line up with the threaded holes in the Ritter block was talking with Kent to Dave from Edelbrock about the mistake but never got a final answer . I plugged the block holes then redrilled & tapped to match the head
I was wondering if you could explain a little more . I need to use all 18 bolts on my build. How did you plug the holes , weld ? Did you drill though the head ?

amazing good luck with the build ! I have money put aside for an alu Ritter block build , but with all the talk about electric cars and possible upcoming legislation to ban gas cars , i put it on the back burner . might be selling the car as well while the prices are high . Don't want to be caught with an expensive horse drawn carriage when a new form of transportation is forced on the population .
guess i'm just an old pessimist
will be following this build as it is my dream build

I was wondering if you could explain a little more . I need to use all 18 bolts on my build. How did you plug the holes , weld ? Did you drill though the head ?
Ill see if i can download the emails from Kent Ritter & Dave Stinson from Edelbrock back & forth .
If you have the heads check a gasket to see if the hemi style bolt holes centres line up with block centres you can remove the Heli coils from the head inner bolt holes i used a 17mm long series carbide mill cutter to help prevent flex & a lot of coolant those heads are hard .

-
Back