New Shop. Which lights?

-
My shop had 8' fluorescent's t12. I singed up for the Obama light program last fall. Local electrician installed 32 new t8 4 bulb lamps. I am saving almost $200 a month! Check with local power company AEP paid for my light upgrade cost me nothing! 32 lamps professionally installed free! Well not really I just got a little of my money back. https://aepohio.com/save/programs/T12Lighting.aspx?ctype=b

I did plant maintenance for 10 years. Needless to say I changed a lot of light bulbs.
I hated 8 foot tubes. If I could get to only the end of the fixture, getting the far end of the new bulb in the clip was aggravating. Then a safe transport and discard of the things was none fun too. Even if you have 55 gal. drums for trash cans you'll have very fragile glass standing out of them.
Needless to say all the lights in my basement are 4 foot tubes.

I would do some research first.

Find out which bulbs are the dheapest to replace. some of these fixtures now days take some expensive bulbs. Use a standard bulb that is available everywhere and is cheap - to keep your overhead costs down (Pun intended).

I use a combination of lighting in my 20 X 26 garage. I have a 4 X 3.5 double pane window in the north wall which lets in lots of natural light. I open my garage door and side door as needed for extra sunlight. I have dual 4 foot fluorescent fixtures running the length of the garage and a set over my work bench. I used to mix in incandescent light at night with the fluorescents but my last incandescent gave up the ghost a year ago and they are hard to find in Kalifornia.
I have been trying out some LED portable lighting. They are bright which is good but they cast deep shadows which is bothersome because my eyes don't adjust from the brightness to the shadows quickly. I do like the fact that LEDs are quiet compared to the fluorescents.

Not all fluorescents make noise. My T8s are completely silent. Modern ones are instant-on too. Some of you talking about fluorescent delay and such are thinking of the old days. Mine turn on instantly same as any incandescent bulb.

I have a 26 x 22 foot garage with 10 foot high ceilings. I have 15-4ft quads to light up my life! Thats right 90 4 foot flouresent daylight bulbs. I have no problem what so ever working under my car lol.

Sounds like I'll be going with the T-8's for now and then maybe later going to the LED replacement bulbs. Thanks for all the input guys.

Well I've been working on the new shop sun up to sun down for 8 straight days. Just too a break to visit the grandson in Ga. I just finished with the shop lights yesterday. I installed to rows of 6 ea 4' T-8 fixtures. I used the lights from Lowes below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_163719-337-...luorescent strip light|Fluorescent shop light
I used the following bulbs.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48928-3-221...ar|1&page=1&facetInfo=47.7800|Linear|SYLVANIA

Seems to put out a lot of light, time will tell when I start actually using the shop. I'll post some pictures when i get home and take some. Now I just need to install my 10K Eagle two post lift. It's sitting outside on a trailer, but that is another project for another day.

T-8

012-1.jpg

Add more light fixtures or add a chrome reflector.
A lamp with higher Lumens will be brighter.
Keep in mind, fluorescent lamps loose some light output over time.

-
Back