New skyscraper in San Francisco has ruined the skyline

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Salesforce tower is butt ugly (now the tallest builiding). I was born in San Francisco (never lived there) and from across the bay, the San Francisco skyline has lost its appealing flavor forever thanks to greedy development.

salesforce2.jpg

salesforce.jpg

Salesforce tower is butt ugly (now the tallest builiding). I was born in San Francisco (never lived there) and from across the bay, the San Francisco skyline has lost its appealing flavor forever thanks to greedy development.

View attachment 1715089871

View attachment 1715089872
I never really considered the skyline to be one of the big attractions in San Francisco. We do travel to the Bay Area around once a year cause we have family in the area. I always have a good time there, but would never consider living there. Too many people, too much traffic, and cost of living is crazy.
Besides I'd rather see the moon setting over the Rocky Mountains, now that's a skyline.

It's all "butt ugly" but that blue stuff in the background.:D
(In both pics)

It looks like any other skyscraper to me. But, while surrounded by buildings just like it, albeit a tad shorter, that was the one that ruined the skyline for you? Sounds like you're living in the wrong place.

I see nothing in either picture I find "appealing".

Didn't they say that same exact thing when they built the first tall building (over 10 stories) in S.F.? I know they did when the Golden Gate Bridge was built.

Greedy development?

No, normal development that is based on profit like it always has been.

If you have a job, you work for a company that has identical motives...maximize profits. If you have a job and expenses, you do the very same thing.

Last edited:
Well, when the big earthquake hits San Francisco, and California, maybe after that, it won't be there any longer.
Were gonna get that quake, sooner or later.

Always a ray of sunshine, Jim. I cannot recall the last time you ever had anything positive to say.

Like many others, I never had the desire to live in a city. I love the green grass and trees too much. I love having a yard for the dogs to play in, a house on a quiet street and nights where you can clearly see the stars. Imagine what it would cost to store 9 cars and all these parts in a big city ???

I lived and worked in San Francisco back in the year 2000. It is an amazing city. It has a unique charm and friendliness that is hard to find anywhere else.
I used to work in a little bar in the North Beach area. It's an Italian neighbourhood - and there's no beach. Where they got the name, I don't know.

Anyway, SF will always be close to my heart.

Butt ugly might be a poor choice of words to use in reference to San Francisco.
The new building looks like a great big phallic symbol.

I never really considered the skyline to be one of the big attractions in San Francisco. We do travel to the Bay Area around once a year cause we have family in the area. I always have a good time there, but would never consider living there. Too many people, too much traffic, and cost of living is crazy.
Besides I'd rather see the moon setting over the Rocky Mountains, now that's a skyline.

Yes.
I much prefer the Grand Tetons.

Always a ray of sunshine, Jim. I cannot recall the last time you ever had anything positive to say.

Like many others, I never had the desire to live in a city. I love the green grass and trees too much. I love having a yard for the dogs to play in, a house on a quiet street and nights where you can clearly see the stars. Imagine what it would cost to store 9 cars and all these parts in a big city ???

Not to change the subject but are you doing FallFling?

I won't be able to make it this year.
Spring for sure though!

My wife lived in a smallish city all her life.

We moved out to the country when we bought the house and five acres. Should have seen the look on her face when we stood on the back deck the first moonless night.

She had never seen so many stars. And she got why I wanted back in the country, right then and there.

Even for that I envy my dad for all the years he spent out on the Gulf of Mexico.

is that what y'all call a skyline out on the west coast?...
hmmm.

downtowndallas.jpg

That is the most ridiculous complaint I have ever read so far. If you think 1 singular building is bad, take a oeak at the Manhattan skyline and the 10-12 skyscrapers going up at the same time.
I'm not complaining, I don't live there. I'm 60+ miles out. I'd go further if I could.

Well, when the big earthquake hits San Francisco, and California, maybe after that, it won't be there any longer.
Were gonna get that quake, sooner or later.
Or maybe it will be the only thing left standing since it was built to the most recent code requirements...

That's progress. I got a few hours in on The Wilshire Grand in L.A. Now the tallest building west of The Mississippi (Korean Air money). These buildings are good Union gigs that keep people working.
A lot of people think that High Speed Rail is a waste. Eventually north to south in Cali and connected to Victorville onward To Vegas (Chinese money) and supposed plans to Salt Lake then Denver and a spur to Arizona. Times change and wish I could see it and ride it.

Was in Oakland last weekend and drove out to the back side of the old Alameda Navy base to see the SF skyline. I agree, that building looks very strange. It is almost ominous looking.

I used to install data/com in all those buildings back in the dot-com boom. Cool city, but way too crowded and expensive for me though.

Some would say that the entire state has been ruined due to greedy development.

And then Californians move out to places like Colorado and ruin that place.... due to...... greedy...... development

All this talk reminds me of what the Indians said when the first Wagon train showed up.

Well there goes the neighborhood.

Time marches on. things change for the good or bad. Depends on your perspective.

-
Back