New to mow par x ford guy

-

DavidB1975

Reaction score
I have a 1975 dodge dart swinger. Looking at pull the slant 6 and putting in a 318 Diplomat I know I need different motor mounts In from what I understand I will not need to change the k frame . Please let me know if my information is correct thank you.

(1) Will a 1987 (318) out of a

'73+ A, B, C, F, M, J-Body Slant 6 to 273/318 or 340/360

'73+ A, B, C, F, M, J-Body Slant 6 to 273/318 or 340/360

Schumacher Creative Services Inc. - Engine Swaps

'73+ A, B, C, F, M, J-Body Slant 6 to 273/318 or 340/360​

3 reviews
Regular price$229.00

Assuming both are automatics- get the transmission from the Diplomat, too. The slant 6 transmission will not fit a V8.
Since the 318 is a 1987, it may still have the Lean Burn system on it, which you will most likely want to delete- all this will involve is an earlier electronic ignition distributor with vacuum advance (which will utilize your existing Dart's electronics), and a standard earlier 318 non-feedback carb.
The Dippy's transmission may have a lockup convertor, which will need to be put on a manual switch; so grab the transmission harness too. This trans is a version of your Dart's 904, so all the linkages, speedo drive and driveshaft will bolt right up.
Edit: You will also need to find a driver's side A body exhaust manifold for the 318, unless you're planning on headers.

Last edited:
You will need a V8 K frame!
Incorrect
From what I understand you can buy a kit and keep the original slant 6 K frame. Is that correct?
Go to manciniracing.com where you can find swap kits/motor mounts. Get a bigger radiator while your at it. As mentioned, Mancini also has upgraded ignition kits containing everything you’ll need to ditch the problematic lean burn in favor of the better electronic ignition and distribution.

Thanks for the answers. Have another question. Looking for a different rear end for the 75 dart. Starting to lean away from the 318 from what I hear not a lot of horse power can be achieved. I have the option of a 360 with out transmission or 440 scat with transmission . Any and all suggestions would be hopeful.

Thanks for the answers. Have another question. Looking for a different rear end for the 75 dart. Starting to lean away from the 318 from what I hear not a lot of horse power can be achieved.
Hogwash.
318s share the same LA architecture as every other small block, use most of the same parts, and respond to the same mods as any other LA engine.
That '87 stands a good chance of being a factory roller cam motor, too.
From the factory it had 9:1 compression and the somewhat desirable 302 heads.
All in all, not a bad basis for a fun little street motor.
Someone's always going to tell you to "get a 360" or "get a Magnum", and it's true- cubic inches are King. But not everybody is aiming to be the King.
1713231100560.png

That ‘87 318 is a good motor, especially if it’s a roller. Put a good intake, carb, headers, mild cam and dual timing chain with a metal gear on it and it will move that Dart around just fine.
If you decide on the 360 just remember it’s externally balanced and the 318 is internally balanced

Thanks for the answers. Have another question. Looking for a different rear end for the 75 dart. Starting to lean away from the 318 from what I hear not a lot of horse power can be achieved. I have the option of a 360 with out transmission or 440 scat with transmission . Any and all suggestions would be hopeful.
Depends what you want, there's kind of two ways to look at it different displacement built over similar powerbands say idle-5,000 rpms with the right parts the larger engine will generally make more power across the the entire idle-5,000 rpms, a 5,000 rpm peak hp will give about 0.9-1 peak hp per cid so if built right 318 = 318 hp, 360 = 360 hp etc.. And need similar gears stall etc...

Or you can build different displacement to same hp, parts are gonna be similar for each but where it makes it's power gonna at different rpms, smaller engines generally need more rpm to make the same power and need deeper gears higher stall etc.. and could be less street friendly.

So generally or better off with larger cid especially for a street car, but saying that there's no reason a 318 can't be built to make decent power, just depends on what you want.

-
Back