New to the site project

-

kingmopar

mopar&son
Reaction score
Just picked up new project car for my 14 Year old son. When He was 5 yrs old,I sold my 68 Dodge Dart. He has always wanted a Dart, He is a true mopar fanatic. So I told him if he got good grades we would get him a car, He has gotten good grades and worked toward that goal. So we picked up a 1967 Dodge Dart about three weeks ago. So far we have dismantled it, I built a rottiserie for him. (I'm getting to old to lay on my back with undercoating and dirt falling in my face or getting smarter in my old age.) We've started to strip the under coating, I will try to keep you posted of the progress...:read2:

Dan's dart.jpg

100_3232.jpg

100_3270.jpg

100_3344.jpg

100_3271.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3329.jpg

100_3334.jpg

Welcome to FABO king! I love seeing father/son projects. He is going to get to drive it a little when it's done, right? ;)

Wow that's awesome!Wonder how my grades would have been if I coulda earned a cool car for My effort?

Me and my son are doing almost the same project. Keep up the good work.

Thought I'd take some time to update what we have been doing on the car.Started laying out and mocking up the rear frame. We used 2x4's for templates alot cheaper then steel,it also helps give you a visual. Finally started building front cross member out of steel.

Attachments

• 100_4243.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 893
  • 100_4187.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 868
  • 100_4186.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 882
  • 100_4044.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 861
  • 100_4038.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 887
Ok, sooo you´re building a woodie.
J/K sorry couldn´t resist.
Great progress, nice way to spend the time with your son.

I would use treated lumber...

Sorry, I couldnt resist either.. ;)

Looks like you guys have it all figured out, looking forward to seeing more build pics...

Glad to see your son sticking to the pro/street look, you don't see that much now days, seems like a lot of kids want their mopars to look like wanna be ricers....

built several cars in my days,going with a home built 4 link has used up the few brain cells i have left LOL ha,ha..

My son (14) and daughter (16) doing the same thing..without the rot.

What is the ize f your rear rm and rubber..did you have to mini-tub ?

Grassy

car is full tub with 15x15 7.5 backspace with a 31x18 mickey thompson s/r tire.my son turns 15 in feb.

Thanks.. 15 this October 14th :)

How did the MTs stick to the rims ?...I think there was a thread on this..I hear they have very poor beading and require heaps of weight..we are a bit nervous buying a set..

Too bad you are so far away..we were the only folks in our area who raced mx and now the only kids that don't drive a Mazda/Honda. etc....it would be nice for my two to talk abour Mopars with someone that knew what they are talking about.

Ohio is a long way from Nova Scotia :)

Anyway, we really like the stance of you car.

Grassy

Thanks for your encouregment i have not had a problem with tires we installed them at home by hand . They have not been balanced yet,not sure if these are the rims we are going with yet.I mocked the rear frame up with the wood to show my son which direction we were headed.I have built several cars and think i have good vision but try to tell that to a 14 year old. A picture is worth a thousand words.We have had the car up and down several ways to set the ride height and this looks good to us.

:)

Tires/rims have been a constant discussion item. I think I am willing to relocate the springs but don't want to mini tub because it cuts into the rear seat and it is beyond what I want to do at my age. I have done one ground up rusty resto on a brit car and I didn't want to get into bodywork with their car..,just stick to the mechanicals. I am trying to find a set of 15 inch rally rims near me or go with a set of 17s off a mustang..

I, and many other members, would like it if you could post a pic or two every so often..it gives us motivation..

Cheers, Grassy

Made a little progress this week ,I've been working alot of overtime so didn't get as much done as i would have liked.This is the crossmember for the rear backhalf (4 link).still needs a few finishing touches but getting there.

Attachments

• 100_4248.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 747
  • 100_4249.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 760
Finally got the four link brackets,so we were able to get some final measurements to build the rear frame rails.Still working a lot of overtime so not getting as much done as we would like to,but making some progress.

Attachments

• 100_4273.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 715
  • 100_4266.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 730
  • 100_4267.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 717
  • 100_4270.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 723
Sorry I'm late to the party! Welcome aboard to you and your son ... looks like that Dart is in good hands. I'm a pretty big supporter of Young Guns so don't hesitate to let me know if you have plans to dress it up. :-D

-
Back