"new" truck shopping

-
Threads like this (show) why I converted my beater old 01 Cummins to 4WD. Neighbor's kid just dragged home a 140K Cummins automatic the other night--I did not want an auto--he paid I think 16K. I could not find a 5 or 6 speed one like that for 10 K more and his is a short bed which I did not want

Threads like this (show) why I converted my beater old 01 Cummins to 4WD. Neighbor's kid just dragged home a 140K Cummins automatic the other night--I did not want an auto--he paid I think 16K. I could not find a 5 or 6 speed one like that for 10 K more and his is a short bed which I did not want
And again, Yer a Bad Honky ****. Cracker! Lol! Much Love and Respect, SIR!

Just asking, but have you thought of something older either in good shape or restored? You should be able to find something with your budget.
No, I haven't
My current truck is an 05 and I can see through the doors and cab corners
with the amount of road salt they use here, that is pretty standard

there is more rust in that truck then in my 50 year old duster

but no, id like to get a newer low miles truck

I've had good luck searching with cargurus.

Unfortunately it's not possible to filter by bench seat or 3/4 and 1 ton at the same time.
hey, that is a sharp looking truck...and i believe it is the same color as i pointed out to the wife the other day and got my "color choosing right" revoked
apparently, that one is too flashy

but Kudos, it checks all the boxes and even came in below budget, even after adding in shipping

you are right that it is impossible to find a website that allows for easy searching
"3/4" does not yield anything "2500" is often times interpreted as a model, instead of a search criteria

having said all that, i do believe i have found one that might be the one, it is a 2017 ram 2500, 80K miles in something called "maximum steel"

1680180506089.png

(not the same truck, but same color)

im hoping to work something out on that one

well, son of a biscuit, now i found another one i like, this one in a dark red (dont know what it is called here, back home we called it bordeaux)

it has all the same features, almost 4K miles more, but $1400 cheaper, plus i can pick it up, trade in the superdookie and drive it home
it also has a tonneau cover, which i intended to install before taking it on spring break, so that is another couple of bucks saved

i think i will go with that one instead

well, son of a biscuit, now i found another one i like, this one in a dark red (dont know what it is called here, back home we called it bordeaux)

it has all the same features, almost 4K miles more, but $1400 cheaper, plus i can pick it up, trade in the superdookie and drive it home
it also has a tonneau cover, which i intended to install before taking it on spring break, so that is another couple of bucks saved

i think i will go with that one instead
Hey, you should help Dan find a car! Kim

Poor Dan. I wonder if that Ram has the feature where it wont move if the door is open or ajar. I dislike that. Some times a guy like the door open when backing up.

Poor Dan. I wonder if that Ram has the feature where it wont move if the door is open or ajar. I dislike that. Some times a guy like the door open when backing up.
thanks for bringing that up, i will try that out on my test drive tomorrow

i used to have a brand X with terrible rear view, but it had an electric rear hatch, so each time i had to back up i would pop the hatch and look out that way

thanks for bringing that up, i will try that out on my test drive tomorrow

i used to have a brand X with terrible rear view, but it had an electric rear hatch, so each time i had to back up i would pop the hatch and look out that way
You could probably trip the switch. I think its in the latch.

You could probably trip the switch. I think its in the latch.
depending on how much it bother me, it would get bypassed or ignored

kinda like that annoying "seat belt beep"

now, i always wear my seatbelt (because i drive like a maniac and it is the only way to keep my skinny but from sliding all over the front bench) except for when im plowing, because in spending just as much time back up as going forward
so, i installed on of these

shopping

I've cut a few off in the junkyard but haven't yet found the right one for my '12 ram 1500.

I think after the last beating he took on here he's kept his profile low for a minute, lol
Well, make sure you don't call me Dan

I got what I wanted for what I was willing to pay
We ran Into a little issue with my trade (they had assured me over the phone a trade in would be made)

After they got my old truck on the rack, they decided they did not want it (turns out one of the previous owners had straight piped certain sections of the exhaust)

Well, that was a deal breaker to me, so I told them, I am NOT leaving here with two trucks

So I asked them to bring the price down almost 6K (a bit more then I was expecting to get for a trade in) and I would find someone to pick up my truck

Well, they couldn't do that, they could only come down 3k

Which was pretty close to what I was willing to pay, so I called a buddy and said "hey, want a free superduty?"

We decided he was gonna come pick it up (we were about 3 hours from home) and when he got back I would sign the title over to him

I got off the phone and told em, someone is coming to get it...and they said "fine we will give you 2500 for it"

Well crap, now I'm in a bind, because I allready called my buddy
So I called him back, explained the deal and told him I did not want to be an Indian giver so if he wanted it, the truck was his, but he said not to worry about it and just trade it in, he had no room to park it anyway

So, I took thier 3k discount, 2.5k trade in and ended up 312 dollars over what I "hoped" to pay, and well within my budget

As a result, we are now an all mopar home again, and yes, that 5.7 hemi is the smallest engine you will find in one of our vehicles

20230331_173919.jpg

Well, make sure you don't call me Dan

I got what I wanted for what I was willing to pay
We ran Into a little issue with my trade (they had assured me over the phone a trade in would be made)

After they got my old truck on the rack, they decided they did not want it (turns out one of the previous owners had straight piped certain sections of the exhaust)

Well, that was a deal breaker to me, so I told them, I am NOT leaving here with two trucks

So I asked them to bring the price down almost 6K (a bit more then I was expecting to get for a trade in) and I would find someone to pick up my truck

Well, they couldn't do that, they could only come down 3k

Which was pretty close to what I was willing to pay, so I called a buddy and said "hey, want a free superduty?"

We decided he was gonna come pick it up (we were about 3 hours from home) and when he got back I would sign the title over to him

I got off the phone and told em, someone is coming to get it...and they said "fine we will give you 2500 for it"

Well crap, now I'm in a bind, because I allready called my buddy
So I called him back, explained the deal and told him I did not want to be an Indian giver so if he wanted it, the truck was his, but he said not to worry about it and just trade it in, he had no room to park it anyway

So, I took thier 3k discount, 2.5k trade in and ended up 312 dollars over what I "hoped" to pay, and well within my budget

As a result, we are now an all mopar home again, and yes, that 5.7 hemi is the smallest engine you will find in one of our vehicles

View attachment 1716071279
Sounds like they tried to hustle/ scam yer ***. Damn Crooks

When I bought my 12, the guy said they had a " no nego policy" and they pretty much lived by it, if I wasn't wanting to pay their sticker we were done. First time I've ever run into it that firmly.
He did give me (forgot which) either 300 or 500 off to compensate for the "doc fee" (whatever the hell that is..... I've never paid a "doc fee" before this truck.... ) Though it's been 22 years before this truck that I bought from a stealership....... I usually do "private party" only, when buying a vehicle.

Sounds like they tried to hustle/ scam yer ***. Damn Crooks
I dont know what the game was
Perhaps they really can't sell a truck without cats, and they didn't want to put the money into it to turn it, or perhaps you were right on their motives

All I know, in the end I'm happy

Perhaps they really can't sell a truck without cats, and they didn't want to put the money into it to turn it, or perhaps you were right on their motives

They definitely can't sell it without cats, and they're back ordered pretty bad too, so they'll have to sit on the truck for a long while until they can move it, so I'm not surprised. At least they did make a deal though, and in the end the difference on the trade was way less than the cost if you'd had to install cats yourself.

I've had some interesting experiences with dealers over the years and pretty much always found that when I stick to my own limits and expectations, and I am willing to walk away if I don't get what I want, the dealers will back down rather than lose the sale.

And Thats a Great Thing! SWEET RAM, DUTCHMAN!

I've had some interesting experiences with dealers over the years and pretty much always found that when I stick to my own limits and expectations, and I am willing to walk away if I don't get what I want, the dealers will back down rather than lose the sale.
I had a realtor friend of mine just had his truck wrecked ( he was without a vehicle over 6 months before he could find one); I had to walk him through the dealerships, and the games they played after he got jacked around so many times, he called me not knowing what the heck to do!.... I mean some of the stuff they do is blatantly obvious if you're a car guy.... I told him crawl underneath and inspect everything you can (he's all worried about that carfax report ) I told em "that thang ain't nothing but a piece of paper bro" the one he liked (with the price he was willing to pay) was leaking underneath he said "it looked like it was from the back of the motor" I said "dude that's the rear main seal" so the dealership brought out their mechanic and he said "it's perfectly normal for those things to weep a little bit of motor oil.".... I get it if it's a 1976 chebbie or something like that Good Golly this was a freaking 5 to 7 year old Honda or some **** like that

Last edited:
So I completely forgot to check this door nonsense
Didn't remember untill I was backing it up this morning to move the boat
I popped the door open to see what I was doing and all is well

All it did was put a message on the screen that the truck was not in park, but it drove just fine

One thing I found out is the way the front hubs lock...I don't like

I can put it in 2h or 4h or 4l but the moment I put it in 4h it locks rhe front hubs, I would have liked to have the option to decided that for myself

Just as information, per MotorBiscuit, "Back in 1995, Chrysler Corporation opened a factory in Saltillo, Mexico to assemble Dodge Ram trucks. The Ram 2500 is still made in Mexico.". My 2012 Ram 2500 2WD Crew Cab 6-1/2 ft bed was made in Mexico as was my 2002 2500 Cummins and 96 Ram 1500. So, not really domestic.

Just as information, per MotorBiscuit, "Back in 1995, Chrysler Corporation opened a factory in Saltillo, Mexico to assemble Dodge Ram trucks. The Ram 2500 is still made in Mexico.". My 2012 Ram 2500 2WD Crew Cab 6-1/2 ft bed was made in Mexico as was my 2002 2500 Cummins and 96 Ram 1500. So, not really domestic.
It really made in Mexico. More like assembled in Mexico. Kim

-
Back