"Next Victim"

-
Being another Don Carlton / Clyde Hodges fan, I'll be watching this. I'm trying to decide a direction for my 73 Dart Sport. Thanks for sharing!

I think it's supposed to say "real closely". It's a lesson that you're not supposed
to post typing while driving with a beer in one hand and a nice greasy cheese
burger (Yummm) in the other.

Big changes today but I forgot my camera. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

I think it's supposed to say "real closely".

Big changes today but I forgot my camera. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

Oh, that would make that sentence makes sense. I keep spell check on and proof read before clicking "Submit Reply" button.....but eating a sammich' makes sense too.

John without a camera !!!! What's this world coming to ?

no....and John tells me he doesn't think he (S.P.) is doing well...we need to keep him in our prayers.

your grasp of the concept of this Duster is dead on. More radical than the silver Duster, that is too pretty to alter, it will be my STREET version of the wire car....and (a version of) black w/ ghost "Missile" graphics

In a day or two it will look like a picture of a Sox and Martin Duster build taken inside their shop around '72 / '73 (my guess). just a shell on a jig...no frame. The S&M build started as an actual car also, but I think shortly after that they started building the cars with panels.

Being another Don Carlton / Clyde Hodges fan, I'll be watching this. I'm trying to decide a direction for my 73 Dart Sport. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Tinman2,

I would love to meet you someday and do a little bench racin'....I would mostly listen.

should I call this my version of the wire car....or cable car?

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Is "S. P." from Florida involved?
No.....and our good friend J.P. is busy changing a water pump in his garage at home. Then he
said he was going to take a peak inside that Lenco and replace a couple of the gears.

Wire%20in%20Joes%20garage_zpspqs4ltph.jpg

This is like playing "What's My Line". You should tell them who you used to work with Carl.

Hey everyone. I got to go to Don's Lenoir, NC shop a couple of times before he passed away. After that, I got to know Clyde Hodges and worked there at that same garage for a while. Clyde taught me how he made the Southern Style ProStock fiberglass parts. I learned a few other things during that time... lots of which I am now trying to remember.

My conversations with Old Man Mopar started after I commented on the picture at the bottom of his posts. That I think was the first resto of the wire car (cable car as we knew it).

Back in the mid 70s, I lived in Hickory, NC and I would drive by Don's dad's house where this car was parked in the grass between the house and a one stall garage building. I would take friends and drive 20 minutes just to look at that car. Don's new Lenoir garage had been built maybe a couple of hundred yards behind his dad's house. I would also look down that way to sneak a peak of any other pro stock activity. I was about 20 at that time, didn't know anyone there, and never dared turn down that drive.
Old Man Mopar's picture shows the car as I remember it... Don Carlton on the doors and Mechanic Clyde Hodges on the fender. Being friends with Clyde.. I was really disappointed to see the latest restoration with their names removed.

Through local drag racing, I became good friends with Bruce Walker (Barry Setzer pro stock) who still lives just outside of Lenoir, NC.
I also got to know Stuart McDade who lives in Hudson, NC. I haven't seen Stuart for years though. Last time I went to visit him, I met his wife outside their home. She really didn't seem too happy about the drag racing part of Stuart's life. She wouldn't tell me where he was. She just said she would tell him I stopped by.

During the time I was at Don's garage with Clyde, I met Ricky Smith, Roy Hill, and Ronnie Sox.
If you remember the 78 Dodge Challenger painted like Sox & Martin, Clyde told me that was Don's gold Rod Shop Colt rebodied. I watched Ronnie place the Chroma-Graphic lettering (stick on) on that Challenger.

I was also there some while Clyde built a pro stock Arrow for Canadian Alban Gauthier.

I wasn't there very long but I got to see some cool things, Carl

Back in the early 2000s, I was talking a lot with Clyde and was gathering parts to build a Duster similar to one they would have raced. Clyde offered to help some as his time permitted, but then he passed away. After that, I just gave up on that dream and sold my Duster and all the parts I had collected. Big mistake- never give up!

Hi Tinman2,

I would love to meet you someday and do a little bench racin'....I would mostly listen.

should I call this my version of the wire car....or cable car?

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Sounds good! All the local Lenoir gang called it the "Cable Car". I suppose either one works.

....I got to go to Don's Lenoir, NC shop a couple of times before he passed away. After that, I got to know Clyde Hodges and worked there at that same garage......
Now here is somebody that has touched history. Hope we get to hear some of it!

....John tells me he doesn't think he (S.P.) is doing well...we need to keep him in our prayers.
Stewart Pomeroy (S.P.) who bought the Mopar Missile Duster from Don Carlton and who also owned
Ronnie Sox's first Hemi Colt is gravely ill. Please do remember him in your prayers.

so if the floor pan was in good shape and I have a feeling you may be back halfing it, why did you put in a new floor pan? just curious.

-
Back