Nick's Garage dyno's a 318 Stroker.

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't made it past the second pull and he's over 400 horse, 440 tq @5500. Through 340 manifolds! Stay tuned.

As Nick said, "I think that's a great little engine". I agree!

There will always be those that discount the 318. It just didn't have the glory of the 340 because it didn't receive the cams, 4bbl, good manifolds... it was a grocery-getter.

But for what the 318 will do, it's worth it. You can get cheap power from a 318. Try buying anything 340 cheaply. :D

As Nick said, "I think that's a great little engine". I agree
And they are often free. 360's can be had for reasonable price and 340's are stupid priced. The stroker kits are pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I'm going to be running a 318 with 273 heads... good compression. I have an Erson "rv" cam which has a decent lift, but not over the .500 that people usual search for. I'm running it on the street. It's all low end power. TTi headers, street dominator manifold, 3.55 gear, and best of all it's a stick.

Would a 340 or a 360 be better? Sure. Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement. But I won't be disappointed. Heck, I haven't even started this one and I'm already looking into building a stroker 318. It never ends...

I'm going to be running a 318 with 273 heads... good compression. I have an Erson "rv" cam which has a decent lift, but not over the .500 that people usual search for. I'm running it on the street. It's all low end power. TTi headers, street dominator manifold, 3.55 gear, and best of all it's a stick.

Would a 340 or a 360 be better? Sure. Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement. But I won't be disappointed. Heck, I haven't even started this one and I'm already looking into building a stroker 318. It never ends...
A 400 horse 318 isn't too hard or expensive to build. Neither is a 318 stroker. Bigger cubes just means more power. (if built right)

Nice... but it's not a 318 anymore. I'm not knocking it I'm just saying.

Last edited:
That little 318 put up some impressive numbers! All without aluminum heads or headers. 65'

Put yourselves in a slant guy's shoes. Everybody always askin "why'd you build THAT?"

Not bad at all for a motor that wasn’t even running while he was tuning and there were motor sounds.:D
Well you know, it IS TV. Also, if you noticed when he adjusted the timing, he said he was advancing it, yet he turned it clockwise. LOL That's ok though, Nick's the real deal even if the show isn't.

Well you know, it IS TV. Also, if you noticed when he adjusted the timing, he said he was advancing it, yet he turned it clockwise. LOL That's ok though, Nick's the real deal even if the show isn't.

I went back and watched that part again and it either wasn’t running or that’s the smoothest idle I have ever seen.
Plug wires were even dead still.
But yea, whatever.:D

Good eye. I did not notice that. That reminds me of a really good story. When I was stationed in Sacramento (1978 +/-) My neighbor and his son rebuilt the 6 cyl engine in the son's AMC Rebel. They were trying to start it, and all they were getting was pops and bangs. I went over and offered to help. He said Thanks, but we want to try and figure it out ourselves. I asked if he had checked the wires against the firing order, and he said yes. Well, they drained the battery and gave up. The next evening, they asked for my help. I asked again about the plug wires, and added "Does the rotor turn clockwise or counterclockwise?? He said, "Don't they all turn clockwise?" 20 minutes later it was running great.

I don't hold anything against shows like this for that kinda stuff. It's like seeing comments about Counting Cars saying the show is "fake". That's bullcrap. They take in old cars and restore them. Right? That's not fake. I don't care WHAT they do on the SHOW. It's entertainment, like Nick's Garage. For him to really be real about setting the timing, he'd have to have gotten the light out, hooked it up and spent time they probably didn't have in production, so he winged it. Who cares? At least that's my opinion and I'm stickin to it. lol

Those exhaust manifolds have to be the choking point now on that engine. Dollars to donuts,headers and that little monster see’s more horsepower at higher rpm. Then a ported manifold and bigger carburetor will get even more.

I didn't recognize the casting number on those heads, does anybody know what they are?

from prior discussion and dyno results, the threshold for manifolds and shorty headers is about 400 before they start becoming detrimental to power.

however, headers will pick up some torque over them in the low and midrange.

but this thing doesn't seem that wild, and with the manifolds and smallish carb i'd bet it's super crisp on the street and has great throttle response.

I didn't recognize the casting number on those heads, does anybody know what they are?

Screenshot_20231024-020822_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back