Nitrous plumbing A1A...??..

-
IMG_20200319_202516.jpg

These are the instructions for the low pressure switch..
First I wanted a bypass switch on it to check other systems...
Second after the power on/off switch I want to loop in the button on the shifter.
And third I wanted to put the timing retard signal wire in after the switch... That way I can have an assistant hit the switch while I adjust and check timing...
Also I was going to have the fuel pump on its own power switch.
Also the Purge on its own button and standalone power..
IMG_20200319_203608.jpg
I pictured this on my dash or somewhere I could reach it, but it looks like I have to plug that little 6-inch cord into the distributor... I think the best I'm going to be able to do is mount it from the inside of the firewall. I won't have to use the start retard and likely I will only have to adjust the actual retard once or twice if that... I'm not a fan of having it under the hood near the distributor or on the outer firewall....

I think they make an extension cable for that short one. Made by MSD.
I thought I had made a conversion cable for it for the regular Mopar distributor. Years ago I put a different motor in the car for funsies...
If it doesn't care how long it is I don't mind extending it with proper soldering and shrink wrap?

I'm also a little confused at what happens to the one that comes out of the MSD box? Is it now not yet used?... I know it's simple as hell but it still got me a little baffled...

But one thing I'm relieved of no one's seeing any major flaws in my wiring plan....
I don't suspect anyone will see anything wrong until it's all done LOL...

If it were me, I would not install that bypass switch. If I ever accidentally left it in bypass mode, the low pressure protection switch would be useless.
I personally would have a jumper wire or the bypass switch with alligator clips so that it’s a tool used only when necessary. Then it stays in my tool box until actually needed.

If it were me, I would not install that bypass switch. If I ever accidentally left it in bypass mode, the low pressure protection switch would be useless.
I personally would have a jumper wire or the bypass switch with alligator clips so that it’s a tool used only when necessary. Then it stays in my tool box until actually needed.
You know that was my very first thought was to put some kind of jumper wire between them when I needed it and then I thought it would be more convenient to have a switch. Maybe a compromise between the two is having a fusible link and just sticking the fuse in there when I need it and pulling it out under normal circumstances?..

Well I grabbed all my paperwork for my six Al and my two step and this new start step deal... Spread it all out on the dining table in preparation to call MSD and get some clarification..
Before I made the call got a flashlight out and got upside down underneath my dash to examine my MSD wires. My MSD is in my glove box... To my amazement the mentioned distributor extension wire was already plugged in and a big bundle of it coiled up to extend as far as I need. (This doesn't run in accordance with my usual luck!).. also the white wire that coming from the MSD that is normally blocked off I put a butt connector on to block it off. Meaning I just need to connect the yellow wire to that white wire and basically off I go. disconnect the MSD box distributor plug and plug in this start step...
To my credit though the MSD tech line did say the instructions weren't complete. They just show one scenario of a points distributor and one scenario of a 7 Al box...
I will take out the passenger seat first thing tomorrow when I get started on all this. I want to run the nitrous line and get all the under-dash wiring and relays...
IMG_20200320_082640.jpg

Well dialed up Summit and ordered electrical panel, relays, amd fused links.
Also a couple AN connections and a small AN hose for the connection from the regulator back to the tank on the fuel side.. and for a cherry on top ordered a ball cap to make $100 order for free shipping...

Well I lied... I thought I was going to get to the wiring this weekend but the weather just kept holding out. It was better that I did more driving and working on my carburetors..
Anyways I'm going to go full-tilt into it (wiring) tomorrow morning and expecting a package from Summit later tomorrow afternoon..
Looks like it's going to come together much faster than I thought at first. I was thinking I may not be able to even think about getting a shot till mid to late summer. At this point it'll be just a matter of getting back to work and being able to buy a bottle and gauge and have it filled...
The worst case will be getting the bracket mounted and a blow down tube routed outside of the car..
Eventually I'll need an electric heating blanket for it I'm sure, but I'll have I powered up switch waiting for that..

Okay put some of the finishing touches on the plumbing. Still got one small piece from the regulator back to the tank (fuel side) that should be here any time now...
I got almost all the electrical wires routed and into the driver's compartment along with the nitrous line. I put quick disconnects nitrous/fuel solenoids and the full throttle switch so I'm able to take all the carburetors and all that stuff off all is one without having to cut wires in the future.. I'll point those out in a picture, one and stuck behind the coil and one along the firewall...
IMG_20200323_162653.jpg
IMG_20200323_162720.jpg

So left I have a wire on the driver side under the fender that I want to run for a positive for the fuel pump and a ground wire for the relay that I will run through the low-pressure fuel cut off switch...
I did go ahead and take the passenger seat out and should be able to start hooking up the switches tomorrow if they come tonight...

Test fit my new switches for the nitrous..
They fit perfect in the stereo hole...
I'll put individual switches in the job holes..
LOTS of wiring tomorrow...
IMG_20200323_200657.jpg

Who loaded my shoes with cement?! LOL 1 o'clock and trying to find motivation.. in the garage having a sandwich but ain't no wiring getting done..

Who loaded my shoes with cement?! LOL 1 o'clock and trying to find motivation.. in the garage having a sandwich but ain't no wiring getting done..

Don't feel bad...I've screwed off over a week because I don't feel right. I think it's RA related. If I don't feel better tomorrow I'm going to call the doc.

Well I'm running yet another 10 gauge wire around the passenger side to energize all of this nitrous and related stuff...
IMG_20200324_143456.jpg
IMG_20200324_143548.jpg

LOL...by the time you are done you'll have another 50 pounds of wire in the car!!!!
At least 10 lb of nitrous!...:thumbsup:...
And if my wife keeps leaving homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies in the garage for me there might be another 10 lb of me...
IMG_20200324_144302.jpg

-
Back