No Brake Lights 1969 Dart(Different than post underneath)

-

courvillejustin

Reaction score
1969 Dart
Ok I have no brake lights. The turn signals work, also the flasher does not work.
So far I have replaced the flasher relay (drivers side), the flasher box itself (passenger side), and the brake pedal switch. All to no avail, I am still having problems with brakes and flasher, If I pull the light knob to turn on headlights I am getting power back there, ei. they turn on. Also I noticed if I shut turn off the key, flip the flasher switch powered on, then turn on my left blinker the flashers will go off.
I also pulled out the backseat, and sill plates looking for a busted/cracked/etc wire. Everything looks fine.
Thanks for your guys' time.

Maybe a lose of ground, Look it the trunk at your wiring harness and see if there is a grounded wire to your body behind your tail lights.
When the key is on you will get a feed ground.
Do your head and tail lights work with the key off ?
It could be a bad ignition switch. I am not a great tec here:happy10:
So you will get more info on this I am sure.
But I am sure the head lights and brake lights should work with the key off as well as your flashers.

No lose grounds.
Head lights work but no taillights with the power off.
Thank you, I appreciate the input, lol I am bound to get it eventually.

I second Snake's thought. I had the same gremlin pop up a few years back. It seemed like I checked everything, but it turned out to be the turn signal switch.

READ RedFish's posts about this in the other brake light problem threads he is the man when it comes to this , he explained the whole circuit in one thread and helped me solve my problem - rusty bay in my fuse box ,check yours but definitely read his responses

People hesitate to accept the diagnosis. Not because they can't comprehend the circuitry but because the signal switch costs 60.00 or more and it takes half a tool box to change the darn thing.
Try working in a service center and quoting 150.00 to get Joe Customers brake lights on. Often times Joe had stopped in for just the annual 3 dollar safety inspection sticker and didn't even know his brake lights weren't working.
For what its worth this is common to everything American made for many years. Good luck

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I figured it out, me being the idiot I am didn't check the wires under the dash I had a bum wire and a blown fuse.

-
Back