No instrument panel lights or radio light

-

THEMESSMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys this is stumping me! None of my lights on my dash panel or my radio light is working anymore. It was working fine when I finished up with the new harness now nothing! Also the gas tank is only reading full and doesn’t change I’m stumped checked the fuses the connections did find a couple bad bulbs. But the high beam light does come on any info or troubleshooting tips for this will be great!

Here is how the dimmer controlled lights work

Of course this is a factory harness, is yours that or a "universal" one?

The dash light dimmer gets power from the tail circuit / fuse. So the park/ tail light circuit has to be working. Power goes through the dimmer--which of course must be twisted somewhat to the left, and wiggle the **ll outta it---and then goes out on TAN and TO the fuse box and through the small INST fuse which is usually at one end of the fuse box. After that power is distributed to all dash dimmer controlled lighting on ORANGE wiring.

Lamps such as the oil or brake warning lamp or the turn indicators or hi beam indicator are "full power" and not controlled with this circuit

The dash light dimmer gets power from the tail circuit / fuse. So the park/ tail light circuit has to be working. Power goes through the dimmer--which of course must be twisted somewhat to the left, and wiggle the **ll outta it---and then goes out on TAN and TO the fuse box and through the small INST fuse which is usually at one end of the fuse box. After that power is distributed to all dash dimmer controlled lighting on ORANGE wiring.

Lamps such as the oil or brake warning lamp or the turn indicators or hi beam indicator are "full power" and not controlled with this circuit
This is a factory one! So my tail lights do work and the switch is a new one to me and it was working now it’s not so I guess in the morning I’ll go out and check for power to the fuse to see if it is and I’ll wiggle the switch to see if it that helps!

So I checked the tan wire from the dimmer switch and I have no power to that wire do you think the dimmer switch is bad?

Double check.

1...Must have either park lamps or headlamps on, AKA switch pulled out
2....Twist and wiggle the dimmer knob and vigourously while watching for flicker of lamps
3....Make sure switch is "to the left" considerably and re-check for power on the tan, at the fuse.

Now when I say "dimmer" you DO know I am referring to the built in dash lamp dimmer in the headlight switch, and not the floor "dimmer witch"?

Maybe something wrong at the back of the dash circuit board where the fuel sender circuit is somehow connected to your dash lights circuit. That would probably ground your sender causing the gauge to peg high, and also might be shorting your dash lights. Could be just two separate problems too, but, that's the only thing I can think of that would affect both systems.

-
Back