No Respect for Early-A's

-
I totally agree. I've been into early As for over 30 years and I really enjoy it. Way to go!

Some of you guys might like our car.... '64 Valiant /6.

This is our generation II A body... 4-door, turbocharged slant six/904/8.75 rear end with Cal Tracs, fiberglass hood, and bucket seats.

Jusr weighed it: 2,680 pounds ready-to-race.

But, our FABO friend Aaron (srixon4406) , has an almost mechanically-identical car and it will be faster because it's a '62 Valiant, and is lighter.
Lighter is faster.... and the generation I cars are the lightest... and have full rear wheelwell cutouts so you don't have to worry about the slicks rubbing the insides of the, fenders!

Nice...

We are not quite finished, but should be racing this bucket of bolts this fall... wish us luck!!!:prayer:

Attachments

• 100_3613.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_3622.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 167
  • js640_turboside.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 172
  • js640_IMG_0829.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 176
  • js640_IMG_0747[1].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 165
You know I definatly love your car Bill, and I am really looking forward to seeing how/what it runs and how it sounds.. Also if I ever make a trip to Arkansas, I would think meeting and seeing it in person to hear and learn from someone that is very knowledgeable about automotives would mean a great deal to me.

You know I definatly love your car Bill, and I am really looking forward to seeing how/what it runs and how it sounds.. Also if I ever make a trip to Arkansas, I would think meeting and seeing it in person to hear and learn from someone that is very knowledgeable about automotives would mean a great deal to me.

Thanks for the kind words!!!

Dude; I'd love to show you the car in person! We have been working on it for three years, straight, and I think it's gettin' close to being ready to race.

It was a rusty, filthy relic, totally worn-out, when we got it; nothing (except the steering box) that moves on that car, is original; it has ALL been replaced! It sat in an open field for fifteen years before we acquired it.

My racing partner. Freddie, and I have both faced some health issues while we have been working on it, which have slowed us down, but that's in the past; we are back in business, now.

Still have to install the MSD 6-AL (digital) ignition box and the Accu-Sump accummulator.

If it runs well (fast) we'll have Tom Wolfe (Shaker223) to thank; if it's slow, we'll have only ourselves to blame; Tom showed us the way...

Thanks a lot for your interest!!!:cheers:

That a super nice looking car you got. Talk abot a sleeper.

Thanks for the compliment!

That /6 is our race car... Here's my "sleeper." :)

Supercharged 360 Magnum (10 pounds of boost) in a '72 4-door... Low 11's (yeah, the 'Stang was second to the finish line....) :)

:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3093-1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_3101.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_3269.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 154
  • valleave1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 152
That 64 is awesome Bill. What size
hoosier's are you running

I appreciate the kind words!!! Thanks a lot!:cheers:

"What size Hoosier's are you running?"

The biggest I could get in there...

They're 9" wide, 26-inches tall and on 15" rims.

Hope that's big enough, 'cause I ain't tubbin' it... too lazy.

looking good Mopar or no Car is my motto! My 65 Cuda Formula S is ready to roll also, I just got over my own battle with epilepsy and can drive agin! Just got back to working and have moved to Chicago, my car is at a friends back in Maryland! My goal is to soon get car shipped to me here so I can start driving it as it was fully mechanically restored before I got medically messed up! I just need a good paint job and put the chrome and logos back on this car and it is finished! I love my mopar and used to drag race a 66 cuda ran low 13's in street class! Was good and went to regioal races in Indianapolis twice!! Loving life again and soon will be back out having fun with the cuda!!! Your car looks great and that slant 6 will run great! People think one must have big block to go fast, that is BS!!!! I know and you do too!!!! Go Get em!!!!

Gregg

Gregg glad to hear your in good health if you have that you have everything. I wrenched on Penskes 73 Eagle Offy a 4 cyl with a turbo 1,100 HP 159 cubic inches so your right you dont need a big block to create HP or go fast but I still like my 440.

looking good Mopar or no Car is my motto! My 65 Cuda Formula S is ready to roll also, I just got over my own battle with epilepsy and can drive agin! Just got back to working and have moved to Chicago, my car is at a friends back in Maryland! My goal is to soon get car shipped to me here so I can start driving it as it was fully mechanically restored before I got medically messed up! I just need a good paint job and put the chrome and logos back on this car and it is finished! I love my mopar and used to drag race a 66 cuda ran low 13's in street class! Was good and went to regioal races in Indianapolis twice!! Loving life again and soon will be back out having fun with the cuda!!! Your car looks great and that slant 6 will run great! People think one must have big block to go fast, that is BS!!!! I know and you do too!!!! Go Get em!!!!

Gregg

THanks, Gregg! If this thing will hook, it MIGHT get out of its own way, I dunno...

It weighs 2,680 with no driver, but getting the turbo to spool (quickly) may be a bigger problem than traction.

If it was easy, everyone would do it... LOL!

We may find out why most folks DON'T do it... LOL !

We'll see...:prayer:

I think the reason most don't do what you do is because all they know is 'slap a v8 in there and call it good'.. The way of going turbo slant six is so unorthodox to some people that they will try and do anything they can to get you to see it there way, and I think that is the hardest obstacle to overcome when building something like your race car.

I think the reason most don't do what you do is because all they know is 'slap a v8 in there and call it good'.. The way of going turbo slant six is so unorthodox to some people that they will try and do anything they can to get you to see it there way, and I think that is the hardest obstacle to overcome when building something like your race car.

Well, thanks for the support. I do appreciate it.

I have had a lifetime of normally-aspirated V8s and just wanted to try something different for a change.

I HAVE a V8 car... never have had a six, nor a turbocharged car.

This is all new terrritory for me, but I'd be lying if I said this setup was anything ~I~ came up with.

I watched the Ryan Peterson video and Tom Wolfe's video and started gathering information from them about how to accomplish something like what they had done.

Both of those guys are magicians with a slant six.... and are friendly and forthcoming with information, so I basically just built a "copycat" motor, hoping I could come somewhere close to the performance they had achieved.

That remains to be seen...

If I can run within a second of either one of them, I'll feel pretty good!

If I can't, shame on ME; they gave me the blueprint!

The formula isn't all that complicated; I think it's all in the tune-up, personally.

One thing for sure; it's gonna be fun!!!:happy1:

Attachments

• 100_3680-001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144
Loved watching that video of the Cuda smoking the Mustang. Poor guy in the Ford didn't know what hit him!:blackeye:

Glenn

-
Back