Nor-Cal '73 Swinger

-
Swamped.,in part land. You did tools? Interested.... Life's decent.Mike ,needs his time... Great find,on the house.

Swamped.,in part land. You did tools? Interested.... Life's decent.Mike ,needs his time... Great find,on the house.
Yeah, I sold industrial & hand tools for 12 years. Graduated high school in 92 and immediately went to work in the tool industry until I moved into Telecom in 04. I loved the business & am still a tool freak. I keep telling Mike that I can't believe I didn't take better advantage of buying tools at cost. Although I have redundant tools up the ying-yang & the nice, polished ones never get touched.

Home alone - Day 3

Productive week, amazing how one can get things done when he takes a week off & doesn't tell anyone about it! Today's plan was to tackle more interior work. I'm missing the package tray altogether and didn't want to fork over $75 bucks for a custom color tray (White) plus shipping. Furthermore, the rear seat back was all bent out of whack, probably from the same little old lady that supposedly owned the car before me. Same old hag that jerry rigged the under dash wiring.

After searching the forums for custom trays, i ran across Younggun2.0's post and liked how his came out. He used 1/8" Hardboard from home depot & Black vinyl from Joann Fabric. I shot Youngun2.0 a PM & mailed me a paper template at no charge because I was missing my original tray. Thanks YG2.0!

I went a whole different rout than him, however. I got my 1/8" Hardboard from Lowes, first of all. And "B", I got WHITE vinyl from Joann fabric. Whaaaat? The hardboard was $9 for a 4'x8' piece and it turns out I needed two yards of vinyl to fully cover the tray. The premium vinyl I wanted was $24.99/yard and I'm too cheap to pay that. I asked the lady there why the premium was so much when the standard was $17.99/yard. I smiled a lot and made lots of eye contact. I asked her about herself & how her day had been. I flirted my *** off. She said she would see what she could do & cut the 2 yards of premium vinyl & rang me up for a grand total of $15.96. Sweet.

I cut out YG2.0's template & traced it on the hardboard & then used a jig saw to cut it out. Test fit after test fit, sanding down the dimensions each time until I was happy with the gaps. I straightened out the seat back and then finally wrapped the tray in the vinyl using spray on adhesive. 1st attempt at upholstery & I'm pleased.

Here's the pics:

20131002_091216_zps881e0564.jpg

20131002_091127_zps820a87ea.jpg

20131002_091145_zpsb2bc2cf1.jpg

20131002_092932_zpscad34c2f.jpg

20131002_102202_zps51280c3c.jpg

came out sweet you slut! looks really good...seat came out pretty straight.lorna asked if you unbuttoned your shirt too.lol

Black usually pops the white....lol sorry for all the racial slurs I just had to ha!

Well, my week off is almost over and there are two things driving my progress today. I have time on my hands and no money. 1st thing I did today was take the Dart out for a drive. When I got home, I used a little bit of that time I had to polish the paint. What a difference, here's a few after shots.

PolishedDart1_zps0f33731a.jpeg

PolishedDart2_zpsa83f6995.jpeg

After polishing the car, I broke out the tape measure & went to work making myself a spare tire board. I had left over 1/8" hardboard from the package tray project & figured I'd give it a shot. As I took down the measurements from the trunk I drew up a rough sketch. From that sketch I measured & cut a cardboard template. Once I was happy with the fit & look of the template, I transferred it over to the hardboard & cut it out with the jig saw. I'm pretty happy & it didn't cost me a penny! The trunk still needs some love, but that's a project for another day. But I've got my tire board & I can add a trunk mat to my list of wants. Here's the pics. The last one shows the actual fit inside the trunk.

TireBoardSketch_zps4ed32d59.jpeg

TireBoardTemplate_zps9f88fd82.jpeg

FinishedTireBoard_zpsd18df784.jpeg

TireBoardInstalled_zpse88c0afa.jpeg

Hey Jeff,
You and Mike + whoever else should take a ride down to Redwood City for the Horses to Horsepower show at Sequoia High School.
Here is the link

http://www.redwoodcity.org/calendar/EventDetail.aspx?Id=4015&CallingPage=Calendar.aspx
well we both missed that one.damn it.but i went to jeffs house today and installed the tf-2 kit in his trans.works much better no slip no mushyshift.while i did that jeff took his newly aquirred 340 shortblock apart.found one rod with no bearing in it at all and a tore up crank.....sucks...View attachment Img_131006115836(1).jpg

View attachment Img_131006122800.jpg

That sucks. Is the rest useable?

The rest looks good. Crank may be salvageable with a .20/.20 grind but wont know till i can afford to have a machinist look at it. Bores look good & mic out at 4.07 & should be good with a hone/de-glaze. I'm sure I'm gonna need to replace the rod that had the blown out bearing. Maybe a fellow member can help out with a solo 340 rod to get me back on track.

Good news is the TF-2 is installed & we were able to get the console shifter functioning need to tweak the existing linkage or find the correct factory linkage bar to get dialed in. I'm gonna start a wanted thread for that. But still, no more column shift. looks good inside.

I need to save some pennies to get the block & crank cleaned inspected & hopefully ground back to a usable state.

Yes Jeff,
I was in the same situation when I took my motor apart to rebuild so I bought a set from a guy on Webay™ and still have six or seven left.
Guy

Hey Jeff,

What year is your block? I have a whole set that came out of a '72 block if you want to pick them up. What kind of machine work are you going to need? American Cylinder head off of 880 in Oakland did mine. Great work and not to bad on the price.

Yes Jeff,
I was in the same situation when I took my motor apart to rebuild so I bought a set from a guy on Webay™ and still have six or seven left.
Guy
nice,love it when a plan comes together.....

-
Back