Not so much a clone Hemi Dart

-
Looks like you’re using the rear metering blocks. I have them as well on my 770’s. I’ve gone to a brown diaphragm spring on mine now. Will get to try it in about 5 months after the snow screws off. It had a bog when the secondaries would open with the plain springs. But if you’re into the carbs that means your getting close!

Finished up the 770’s last night. Now I gotta dig out my L88 (850 vac sec) carbs. Taking those to the dyno as well.

Looks like you’re using the rear metering blocks. I have them as well on my 770’s. I’ve gone to a brown diaphragm spring on mine now. Will get to try it in about 5 months after the snow screws off. It had a bog when the secondaries would open with the plain springs. But if you’re into the carbs that means your getting close!

I found my old combo ET’d the best with the lightest springs. You could feel them open on the street but I had enough converter it wasn’t an issue at the track.

63875082-7500-4C46-A1E1-7E6204471AA1.jpeg

Finished up the 770’s last night. Now I gotta dig out my L88 (850 vac sec) carbs. Taking those to the dyno as well.

I found my old combo ET’d the best with the lightest springs. You could feel them open on the street but I had enough converter it wasn’t an issue at the track.

View attachment 1716025039
Thanks for the clarification on the lighter springs run at the track. Curious if you were trans or foot braking. BTW, can’t wait to see some dyno results.

Oh, wow. How much RPM do you have in finish?
Just wondering, because i have 3.91 gears ansd 28" Tires and i am at around 6000 through finish.
I have manual trans, but makes no difference in last gear.

Oh, wow. How much RPM do you have in finish?
Just wondering, because i have 3.91 gears ansd 28" Tires and i am at around 6000 through finish.
I have manual trans, but makes no difference in last gear.

I was going through around 7k, 130-131 with a 29.5 tire.

Good choice on the 4.10’s. With your combo you’re still going to be 6700+ over the stripe. Soon soon, dyno numbers.

Yeah, I messed around on it for a few hours last night. Pretty much just need to set a date and commit. We have some stuff at work that’s been keeping my schedule in flux. That’s the only reason I haven’t committed to the dyno date yet.

Well dyno day didn’t go quite to plan. Spent all day Monday fighting a reversion problem with the cross ram. Tried 2 sets of carbs, different coil, crank trigger, re-sealed the lid. Pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it and it would not straighten out. I was offered a little time the next day if I wanted to try something different. I pulled the cross ram off at the end of the day Monday and realized it was pulling oil up from the bottom and obviously had a pretty decent vacuum leak. Being the day had went so bad I opted to go home and grab an old barton single plane I had picked up. It’s completely un-ported and the older style with smaller runners. I grabbed a few of my dominators and went at it again today. Unfortunately this old intake requires the use of straps across the ends of the valley to keep the tray from deflecting. Not having those proved to put an early end to my day. I made a hit with my BLP carb I run on the roadrunner. She sounded good and we shut her down at 6500 to the tune of 806hp. That blew all the silicone out of the ends of the now deflecting valley tray. I had to pull the intake again and reseal it. I knew I was only going to get one more hit. I tossed on my 1150 and told him go to 7k. She put 818 up at 6900. Carb was a bit lean. Wish I could have jetted it up and did some timing sweeps. All in all though she’s pretty stout. Definably power still on the table. I did get to spend some quality time with my dad, he enjoys the hell out of this stuff.

48D6AECF-B041-441A-BDB7-69A85BEF1458.jpeg

484F1D4A-15C7-4EDE-9BB7-8C8E2DA35440.jpeg

E646795F-3A0C-47C0-B644-BF1FD5FD4F9A.jpeg

DDAE61A2-BF9D-4DEB-A039-2EC883240236.jpeg

19FF6CBC-86FF-4B04-8AD6-A5A08E80E91D.jpeg

Last edited:
Well dyno day didn’t go quite to plan. Spent all day Monday fighting a reversion problem with the cross ram. Tried 2 sets of carbs, different coil, crank trigger, re-sealed the lid. Pretty much threw the kitchen sink at it and it would not straighten out. I was offered a little time the next day if I wanted to try something different. I pulled the cross ram off at the end of the day Monday and realized it was pulling oil up from the bottom and obviously had a pretty decent vacuum leak. Being the day had went so bad I opted to go home and grab an old barton single plane I had picked up. It’s completely in-ported and the older style with smaller runners. I grabbed a few of my dominators and went at it again today. Unfortunately this old intake requires the use of straps across the ends of the valley to keep the tray from deflecting. Not having those proved to put an early end to my day. I made a hit with my BLP carb I run on the roadrunner. She sounded good and we shut her down at 6500 to the tune of 806hp. That blew all the silicone out of the ends of the now deflecting valley tray. I had to pull the intake again and reseal it. I knew I was only going to get one more hit. I tossed on my 1150 and told him go to 7k. She put 818 up at 6900. Carb was a bit lean. Wish I could have jetted it up and did some timing sweeps. All in all though she’s pretty stout. Definably power still on the table. I did get to spend some quality time with my dad, he enjoys the hell out of this stuff.

View attachment 1716042288

View attachment 1716042289

View attachment 1716042290

View attachment 1716042291

View attachment 1716042292

View attachment 1716042293

Congratulation! You’re already past the hopeful 800. And I bet there’s still more in it, just ran short on time. Unfortunate to hear about the cross ram issues. EXCELLENT!

Congratulation! You’re already past the hopeful 800. And I bet there’s still more in it, just ran short on time. Unfortunate to hear about the cross ram issues. EXCELLENT!

I’m pretty sure a ported single and a 1250 she would pick up. Where did yours run best at timing wise?

I’m pretty sure a ported single and a 1250 she would pick up. Where did yours run best at timing wise?
I have to agree with you. My Barton I port matched and spent time at the plenum rounding the short radius’s. Was sceptical running the 1250 but it handled it ok. My best was with 32 degrees, very minimal drop from 34 degrees, 1 or 2 HP only. All my runs were also running stinky 91 octane. Edit - forgot to mention that we tired a few different spacers and the shear plate was a game changer. It picked up I think it was about 15HP. I said, leave that shear plate right where it is, it’s coming with me.

-
Back