Nothing to laugh about

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relating this incident to a gun problem is like relating 9/11 to an airplane problem.

9/11: zero guns used
Oklahoma city bombing: zero guns used.

If he'd driven a rental truck as far as he could and blown it up, he'd killed far more.

I don't approve of this any more than anyone else but fact is, there have been plenty of terror attacks around the world, even in Canada, that use no firearms.

This is a mental health problem, plain and simple.

I still say there was a second shooter.... he definitely planned it well. And a guy who's brother said was not a gun fan...... yeah, he had help.
My untrained ears on the crappy video on the network news heard 2 full auto weapons firing simeltaneously. Not to say that a full sized adult male is not capable of doing so. With no specific target, they just had to point "in the direction of" to inflict damage. 10+ long guns, at least 100 lbs, and bulky. If they were breakdown capable, still makes for a lot of trips to the car. Did no one hear or see the falling broken glass from 2 4'x8' sheets of glass?

My untrained ears on the crappy video on the network news heard 2 full auto weapons firing simeltaneously. Not to say that a full sized adult male is not capable of doing so. With no specific target, they just had to point "in the direction of" to inflict damage. 10+ long guns, at least 100 lbs, and bulky. If they were breakdown capable, still makes for a lot of trips to the car. Did no one hear or see the falling broken glass from 2 4'x8' sheets of glass?
probably too busy with their nose in their smart phones. Hearing it at that height, dont know.

there was definitely two distinct cyclic patterns firing for sure. Could he fire both 1 handed? possibly.

I own a few guns, for protection, in the sticks where the bears wander. Theres a big one around lately, so gun cabinet is unlocked to save a bit of time.
Wolves less than a mile away, but they are more interested in livestock.
To the op,just as you choose to NOT own a firearm,i choose to own at least one. I do occasionally put food on the table with them,and feel its everyone's right to choose.
My best friend's mother was taken by a youth with a car security device (club) and it was a horiffic thing to deal with. I would have no problem rehabilitating him with one little 3 dollar piece of lead.but instead we let the righteous leaders decide thats wrong. Lets spend millions keeping these scumbags behind bars. Our world would be a better place if every law abiding citizen carried a piece.

Everyone might want to go donate some blood to help the wounded! The rest can be dicussed later.

Everyone might want to go donate some blood to help the wounded! The rest can be dicussed later.
I'm not one that normally does go give blood but I think I shall. Good idea

Relating this incident to a gun problem is like relating 9/11 to an airplane problem.

9/11: zero guns used
Oklahoma city bombing: zero guns used.

If he'd driven a rental truck as far as he could and blown it up, he'd killed far more.

I don't approve of this any more than anyone else but fact is, there have been plenty of terror attacks around the world, even in Canada, that use no firearms.

This is a mental health problem, plain and simple.

Actually the government did more to keep crazys off planes than they do to keep them from owning guns (which is nothing).
So 1 airplane incident and now we have to go through checkpoints, cavity searches, no liquids, do not fly lists...... But after multitudes of mass murders by assualt rifle weilding crackpots.... Nothing !

I like guns but dont feel the need to own an AR15. I also like to blow things up but its against the law...

Actually the government did more to keep crazys off planes than they do to keep them from owning guns (which is nothing).
So 1 airplane incident and now we have to go through checkpoints, cavity searches, no liquids, do not fly lists...... But after multitudes of mass murders by assualt rifle weilding crackpots.... Nothing !

I like guns but dont feel the need to own an AR15. I also like to blow things up but its against the law...
No one "needs" a big block a body either... or a dodge demon....

Besides flying isn't a constitutional right

So can I own a Howitzer ?

I am not proposing we ban guns. Even if they did there are already so many in circulation it would be pointless.
I dont know if there is a solution... But flooding society with assault rifles just makes it easier for unstable people to get them. Hell its a popularity thing now.
What do you think happens to all those guns when the owners die or just get tired of owning them? How many people check or even care if the next guy is a crackpot?

I am just doing some open critical thinking here.

I would love to own a howitzer.

I'm not kidding either.
But not because I want to use it for self defense. There's a science to shooting a gun and having the round land where you can't see it.
Having said that, I also enjoy shooting very much. I don't care to kill anybody or any thing. Shooting is a skill, not unlike being able to work on one of these old cars.
We weren't born knowing.
I hate that some douche canoe decided that he had to shoot up a bunch of people.
People are going to do stupid crap whether there's a gun involved or not.
You absolutely have no idea how happy I am that the O/P can wake up in the morning feeling the way he does do about guns.
As for critical thinking, the genie's out of the bottle, and the reality is, people suck.

Deranged individuals will always go on destruction sprees and kill other people...and there isn't a damned thing that can be done if they suddenly snap or hide their mental illness.

Want to blame guns? Want to say it was easy access to them that caused the disaster?

No, they were used because they were one of a dozen choices to create mayhem. Not having access to them wouldn't have prevented it. The dude had the makings of fertilizer bombs in his house.

Imagine if the guns weren't available and he decided instead to use homemade fertilizer pipe bombs filled with nails and ball bearings. Launch a few dozen of those into a crowd of 20,000 from the 32nd floor and its hundreds dead...not dozens. Add in some Molotov cocktails and it's a massacre behond comprehension.

The point is that the problem isn't the weapons chosen...it's the sick mind that decides to use them against innocent people with the intent to kill and destroy.

I don't believe I am saying this in public...I often go into very dark, twisted places in my mind. I often think about killing people...have this "thing" about woman with slender necks...often think about raping them while strangling them. Part of the reason I was deemed a hazard to self and others were these thoughts. I would often put target pasties on people's cars I didn't like...which was damn near everyone. A firearm would be my last choice. Take a lot of rounds to kill a crowd. My choice would be a good old molotov cocktail. Bit of gas, a bottle and a wick. People want to harm others...will ALWAYS find a way.
Simple as that...
you are headed for trouble if u start acting that **** out, you would get shot around here for sure!

Thank you for your concern. I am currently under the carest of a very good head doc. I am very fortunate to understand what triggers me...stress....I do my absolute best to avoid it...
SOUNDS TO ME LIKE U NEED JESUS IN UR LIFE. I DON`T KNOW ANY TRUE CRISTIANS THAT HAVE STRESS .

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE U NEED JESUS IN UR LIFE. I DON`T KNOW ANY TRUE CRISTIANS THAT HAVE STRESS .
Then you hang out with a lot of liar's.
You obviously know nothing about the relationship between religion and mental illness.
In general, religion has been found to have "both a protective and a risk increasing effect" for schizophrenia.
There are many "true Christians" that say they that god has spoken to them, when in fact they are diagnosed with schizophrenia. Religion is traditionally a coping mechanism for people with schizophrenia.

Then you hang out with a lot of liar's.
You obviously know nothing about the relationship between religion and mental illness.
In general, religion has been found to have "both a protective and a risk increasing effect" for schizophrenia.
There are many "true Christians" that say they that god has spoken to them, when in fact they are diagnosed with schizophrenia. Religion is traditionally a coping mechanism for people with schizophrenia.
Speak for ur self, I still don`t know any that have those problems he described, wheather u like it or not. You sound like a pothead I used to work with before he got fired, he had about the same point of view.

So, Im here in Vegas police are hinting the guy the found dead in the room, might NOT be the shooter. Seems like he might have been killed before the shooting started by other shooter or shooters.

Speak for ur self, I still don`t know any that have those problems he described, wheather u like it or not. You sound like a pothead I used to work with before he got fired, he had about the same point of view.
So, because you don't understand or cannot recognize mental illness, it doesn't exist?
Did you know that the #2 and #3 traits of religious fanaticism are close mindedness and narrow education? #1 and #4 are literal interpretation and the willingness to force religion on others.
There is a very blurred line between devotion and insanity.
Calling names is also an indicator of a low IQ. It's often used when someone has an emotional argument to make with little or no supporting logical argument.
While you never actually called me a pot head, you inferred the insult.

The no liquids was brought about by a seperate incident than 9/11, the searches and x-rays and security lines existed prior to 9/11 due to other terrorist BS, and nutcases have been hijacking planes since at least the 1950's.

I am not proposing we ban guns. Even if they did there are already so many in circulation it would be pointless.
I dont know if there is a solution... But flooding society with assault rifles just makes it easier for unstable people to get them. Hell its a popularity thing now.
What do you think happens to all those guns when the owners die or just get tired of owning them? How many people check or even care if the next guy is a crackpot?

I am just doing some open critical thinking here.

I tend to view it like chicken pox. If it's not here, keep it off my island, but if it is here, expose everybody, take the risks into account, and be proactive about it. Sadly, I see no alternative to guns except more guns.

Why? Because even Otzi the Ice Man has an arrow in his back.

Better training with youth, exposing people to the consequences of poor firearms use, and public awareness are part of the solution. Look at Switzerland. Tons of guns, everybody shoots, very few injuries, gun crimes, or death. (and yes, they have restrictions on certain things but their system is modeled on ours)

Deranged individuals will always go on destruction sprees and kill other people...and there isn't a damned thing that can be done if they suddenly snap or hide their mental illness.

Want to blame guns? Want to say it was easy access to them that caused the disaster?

No, they were used because they were one of a dozen choices to create mayhem. Not having access to them wouldn't have prevented it. The dude had the makings of fertilizer bombs in his house.

Imagine if the guns weren't available and he decided instead to use homemade fertilizer pipe bombs filled with nails and ball bearings. Launch a few dozen of those into a crowd of 20,000 from the 32nd floor and its hundreds dead...not dozens. Add in some Molotov cocktails and it's a massacre behond comprehension.m

The point is that the problem isn't the weapons chosen...it's the sick mind that decides to use them against innocent people with the intent to kill and destroy.

This. Where there's a deranged will, there's a deranged way.

I think the key is "bear".
What can you bear?
One may not need a Howitzer.
But people should be well armed enough to be able to take the Howizer away from tyrants.

Tianasquare.jpg

We have hand wringing and politicization without even knowing the facts .
There is really no way to state this without the danger of sounding callous.
But of all the dangers we face as humans, does this particular type of mass shooting thing happen often enough that the risk of one outweighs the risk of the other?
It's the basic question.
I feel more danger personally on the interstate than from "guns".
I'm not afraid of Bubba with an AK.
I'm afraid of (fill in the blank) with a WMD.

ashley_sword_5630.jpg

trophy_STG44_4281web.jpg

I've obviously opened up a can of worms for my views. I apologize for that but everyone has their point of view. As I've stated before that I don't like guns but it's not the guns that kill but the person that's holding it.
And no, I'm not a vegetarian but not a big meat eater either. These animals raised for their meat are killed in a mostly humane process or we are told that anyway. My Dad was a butcher and started in an abattoir in the U.K. when he was 14 and said they were killed in a fast humane fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back