OD trans

-
I was given a 355 8 3/4 sure grip for free, upon disassembly I was told it looked in excellent shape and as if it. was never apart. Had it rebuilt and my mistake was not changing gears at that time
The reason was I had a car with a auto trans and 355 and it was no issue to drive at highway speeds so I figured in this current case it would be ok as well and with the 727 trans and it was
With the 727 i hardly realised the 355 was there
When I converted to the 833 which was also out of a 69 b body the same as my car, the driving experience was day and night and I enjoyed it except for the highway

Not following why going from the 727 to a 4 speed made a difference on the highway. In both cases you are running at 1:1 in the trans, unless you are using 3rd in the 4 speed or something.

Gear noise maybe? If so, maybe your 4 speed is going bad or something?

Really puzzled. If anything, the 4 speed should have dropped your highway RPM's a bit due to no longer having slip from a torque converter.

Did you change to a shorter tire at the same time?

Not following why going from the 727 to a 4 speed made a difference on the highway. In both cases you are running at 1:1 in the trans, unless you are using 3rd in the 4 speed or something.

Gear noise maybe? If so, maybe your 4 speed is going bad or something?

Really puzzled. If anything, the 4 speed should have dropped your highway RPM's a bit due to no longer having slip from a torque converter.

Did you change to a shorter tire at the same time?
It makes a big difference since you're going from a direct drive clutch to a fluid drive converter. Converters have slippage. Clutches do not.

It makes a big difference since you're going from a direct drive clutch to a fluid drive converter. Converters have slippage. Clutches do not.

Right, and you would think he would be even more pleased on the highway going to a clutch. But it is the opposite for him?

Confused.

Same size tires. Same rear
With the 727 it wasn’t a issue
The 4 speed changed the entire car but I knew that and enjoy shifting a 4 speed again
As I said and either way it’s not enjoyable driving at highway speeds

Same size tires. Same rear
With the 727 it wasn’t a issue
The 4 speed changed the entire car but I knew that and enjoy shifting a 4 speed again
As I said and either way it’s not enjoyable driving at highway speeds

To be clear, not questioning your opinion. If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't enjoyable. Much like AJ's dissertation on gear ratios where his math might make sense but my experience says I don't agree.

Just puzzled what the difference is since RPM couldn't have change much. No response needed.

And I agree with you on the 4 speed. I just so much more enjoy a stick car. Auto's have their place and are enjoyable as well, but I just like a stick car better.

Have you checked for chrome updates?

There have been a rash of them lately.

I manage about 100 chromebooks at work.

We had at least three updates in the past 2 months and if they were "sitting on" an update, strange things would happen, like not printing, or not being able to reply to emails, or not getting group emails. Updating fixed them all.

In settings run the "safety check".

Ours are even set to update automatically via the management console, but apparently some still needed to be manually triggered.

I really like the O/D manual. And I have it in a 66 Barracuda with a non stock high performance 273. I run the standard small front bearing main housing and front bearing retainer so I can swap transmissions if I want. I even run an original 64-65 Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. I have no problem with the gear splits, the highway cruising and mpg is sweet.

To be clear, not questioning your opinion. If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't enjoyable. Much like AJ's dissertation on gear ratios where his math might make sense but my experience says I don't agree.

Just puzzled what the difference is since RPM couldn't have change much. No response needed.

And I agree with you on the 4 speed. I just so much more enjoy a stick car. Auto's have their place and are enjoyable as well, but I just like a stick car better.
Dion, my friend asked me last night exactly what you're saying..... Bear with me for a moment.
Back in 72 I had a 69 GTO automatic with a 3:55 posi rear......Besides being quick the car would cruise comfortably at highway speeds. Being a young idiot but back then the highways were deserted in the early AM hours I had that car at 100 and never do I recall that engine reving like my 383 does now
Maybe its time gone by or maybe I should shut off my hearing aids (LOL).
Either way what im going to do is get a column mounted tach like ive always wanted to do and report back at what the RPM is at a given speed
I want to thank you as well as the other members for taking the time to reply with advise to me

Dion, my friend asked me last night exactly what you're saying..... Bear with me for a moment.
Back in 72 I had a 69 GTO automatic with a 3:55 posi rear......Besides being quick the car would cruise comfortably at highway speeds. Being a young idiot but back then the highways were deserted in the early AM hours I had that car at 100 and never do I recall that engine reving like my 383 does now
Maybe its time gone by or maybe I should shut off my hearing aids (LOL).
I want to thank you as well as the other members for taking the time to reply with advise to me

:thumbsup:

Either way what im going to do is get a column mounted tach like ive always wanted to do and report back at what the RPM is at a given speed

Sounds like a great plan.

This would be weird, but I wonder if the lever is flipped on the 3-4 fork? That would give you 3rd gear when you thought you were in 4th and would put your RPM at about 3750 at 60 mph with a 245/60/15.

I would think it would feel weird, and be dangerous if you RPM'ed the motor in 1:1 and then shifted to 1.39:1. But it's the only thing I can think of.

But we will know more when you post some numbers.

This would be weird, but I wonder if the lever is flipped on the 3-4 fork? That would give you 3rd gear when you thought you were in 4th and would put your RPM at about 3750 at 60 mph with a 245/60/15.

I would think it would feel weird, and be dangerous if you RPM'ed the motor in 1:1 and then shifted to 1.39:1. But it's the only thing I can think of.

But we will know more when you post some numbers.
At one time id say no way but at my age anything is possible LOL
Im ordering that tach tonight

I really like the O/D manual. And I have it in a 66 Barracuda with a non stock high performance 273. I run the standard small front bearing main housing and front bearing retainer so I can swap transmissions if I want. I even run an original 64-65 Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. I have no problem with the gear splits, the highway cruising and mpg is sweet.

What's your differential ratio, and the diameter of your tires?

Agree. Same with the 500 and 518 trannys. They are 4-spd trannys, not 3-spd with overdrive. A 727 with a GV OD is a 3 spd with OD. With that setup you 1st and 1st in OD. With the 518 and 833OD you don't.
So would you call it four speed with overdrive if it is a 4 speed transmission and one of the four gears is an overdrive? Or what would you call that?

So would you call it four speed with overdrive if it is a 4 speed transmission and one of the four gears is an overdrive? Or what would you call that?
Semantics. It is a 4 speed and 4th. is o/d but it is basically a 3 speed and 4th.is overdrive. No difference than a 5 or 6 speed. A 5 speed is "usually" a 4 speed and 5th is a o/d and a 6 speed is "usually" a 4 speed and 4th. and 5th. are overdrives depending on who makes it and how the ratios are set up.

There he is ladies and gents, the 318 hater now telling you how bad your OD trans choice is and what a looser you are for choosing it.

Tells us again AJ! How do you get more than 33 miles to the gallon?

If your just spinning tires, you have no control over your foot. Also, your tires probably suck. Possibly, even your suspension. And you blame it all in being “Just a Streeter” kind of a guy.

Yeaaaaaaaaaa LMFAO!

While I agree the ratios are far from ideal, there is always a give and take in this game.

Wow! What a great thread this was! You guys just answered the question I was about to post: who has knowledge of the Lakewood LK7000K bellhousing for use with the OD, and do you use one of the 3 shim rings and a smaller retainer, or does it have a 5.125 register hole when used without the rings? That was my question, because that would allow me to use my 2:66, 2:47 and 2 cast iron 30 spline OD's all without changing the bellhousing. But after reading this post, I think I'll just dump all 4 of those on one of those sites and use the shim ring that allows use of the Tremec 5 speed. H E Double Hockey sticks Yeaaaaaaaaaah!

A230 ratios
For slant sixes and 318
1st 3.08
2nd 1.7
3rd 1.0
R 2.9

for 340 and 400s
1st 2.55
2nd 1.49
3rd 1
R 3.34
I've got access to a close ratio three speed out of a 340 Demon with the factory Hurst floor shifter. I'm going to score it just because I don't want to let it get away. I'm thinking that it will be fun when it comes time to swap to a V8 in the SWB D150 with the existing 3.90 rear. But being it's a truck, I'll probably rebuild the Dakota 5 speed NV3500 I got lying around.
Man, them NV3500s are a bear to do....

Wow! What a great thread this was! You guys just answered the question I was about to post: who has knowledge of the Lakewood LK7000K bellhousing for use with the OD, and do you use one of the 3 shim rings and a smaller retainer, or does it have a 5.125 register hole when used without the rings? That was my question, because that would allow me to use my 2:66, 2:47 and 2 cast iron 30 spline OD's all without changing the bellhousing. But after reading this post, I think I'll just dump all 4 of those on one of those sites and use the shim ring that allows use of the Tremec 5 speed. H E Double Hockey sticks Yeaaaaaaaaaah!

Usually the blowproof bellhousings use the 4.807 pilot diameter so the most you would have to do is swap the front bearing retainer.

Man, them NV3500s are a bear to do....
Yes, I’ve a LOT of ugliness is usually involved with getting a well worn unit apart. And getting one back together takes fabrication of some of the fixtures used to hold the main and cluster assemblies together.

Usually the blowproof bellhousings use the 4.807 pilot diameter so the most you would have to do is swap the front bearing retainer.
Not a blowshield, the LK7000 is an aluminum bellhousing that fits small block plus gen 3 hemis and A833, A230, and the Tremec 5 speed will all bolt up. Provisions for hydraulic or mechanical clutch, too. They are under $400 for the kit with shields. I've been searching for an OD bellhousing and keep missing them, plus they want obscene $. My cars are drivers, no need for the original part...so this looks like a great option, if in fact the register hole without shim rings is really 5.125"...anyone got one???

Not a blowshield, the LK7000 is an aluminum bellhousing that fits small block plus gen 3 hemis and A833, A230, and the Tremec 5 speed will all bolt up. Provisions for hydraulic or mechanical clutch, too. They are under $400 for the kit with shields. I've been searching for an OD bellhousing and keep missing them, plus they want obscene $. My cars are drivers, no need for the original part...so this looks like a great option, if in fact the register hole without shim rings is really 5.125"...anyone got one???

So what do you want to end up with? engine and transmission?

'71 340 with a '72 2:47. I'm not putting a Tremec in my Duster. I would have to go through all the frustration described above and cry like all those other little girls before I could be driven to have anything but an A833 (which is basically my point). I DO still want to know the register hole size on the Lakewood aluminum LK7000K bellhousing, however, because I'd like to know I could swap in one of the OD's just for giggles.

And you never know what new product might come down the road, like maybe a kit that includes the cluster plus a new first gear that brings 1st to 2.70-ish as an alternative to 3.09??? JP, you paying attention?

-
Back