Oddly optioned cars and Dealership demonstators?

-

elitesrock2

Reaction score
Wondering what kinda wierdly optioned mopars all you folks have come acrossed in your years. Dealer demonstrator cars are some of the oddballs. There is a 68 or69 dart in my area that is a factory yellow, 4 door 4 speed 318 car. The guy who has it says it was a dealership demo car. it now has a 360 in it though factory 318 long lost. owner saved car from crusher

That's a neat ride, I've seen a 225 slant six duster with a stick and a 8 3/4 out back, HD cooling, HD springs etc....I've scratched my head more than once with Mopars, hence my signature!!:thumbsup:

How about a 70 Dart Swinger 340..stripe delete, high back bucket seats, auto on column...broadcast sheet calls for white wall tires on steel rims with dog dish caps and trim rings...yup, odd stuff....

DSC02848.JPG

I had a 67 Coronet 500, that came ordered with a drivers side headrest only. The passenger side wasn't even drilled for one. Bought the car from the original owner, who told me he didn't want anything blocking his view when backing up.

I wonder if there are any drivers education cars out there with pedals on the pass side also.

parted a 71 slant 6 dart that had an 8 3/4 and 4 piston disc brakes up front..
had a friend with a 71 4 door dart that had a 8 3/4 disc brakes and a sway bar.

oh the one that got away - 71 Scamp 340. Probably the only one that ever existed.. rallye wheels, sharktooth grill, 340 scoops - all of it, it was a 340 Duster in a Scamp package. Special ordered by a Chrysler exec. His wife sold it to a local car shop, they took it apart for all the good stuff and I think they destroyed the shell.. I was "a day late and a dollar short".

I have a 67 Charger factory ordered with these nice options: 383/4 bbl., 4 spd.,PS, PB, A/C, remote mirror, console, buffed silver paint and radio. What's puzzling is the owner elected to order the car with standard 7.75/14 black wall tires and small hub caps.
A few extra dollars spent on top of the chosen expensive options for white walls or redlines and wheel covers would have made the car completely different looking.[/QUOTE]

oh the one that got away - 71 Scamp 340. Probably the only one that ever existed.. rallye wheels, sharktooth grill, 340 scoops - all of it, it was a 340 Duster in a Scamp package. Special ordered by a Chrysler exec. His wife sold it to a local car shop, they took it apart for all the good stuff and I think they destroyed the shell.. I was "a day late and a dollar short".
I didn`t have a clue what I had ! bought a new 68 form S barracuda fastback in 1968. gave $3256 for it in Tulsa, Tink Wilkerson Chrysler-Plymouth. the window sheet info said 330 h.p. roadrunner engine, along w/ the other stuff. paperwork said the only diff between it and the roadrunner 383 was the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. which didn`t mean anything to me at the time. only one I`ve ever heard of ! I floated the valves on it "showing off" at a little over 80 m.p.h. in low gear once, (by mistake) also outran a new hugger Camaro (CHEVY ADVERTISEMENT AT THE TIME) and a volkswagon thru the Ozark mountains. we were all racing, was no contest. I have never seen or heard of anyone having a barracuda w/ that option. no power anything, had disc brakes on the front. traded it in at grand Spaulding dodge in ok city in 69 for a 440 4 speed coronet rt. I have often wondered who got that car, and where it went. They said it sold in three hrs., when I was back in for a timing adjustment the next day . no brag- just fact, believe it or not.

1965 Valiant 200, 4 door, 273-180hp, 4 speed, black with aqua interior. Early build with 9" drums.

My first car was a 65 Dart 270 post 2 door with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. One of just a handfull made, which I found out a few years ago. That car got me started loving Mopars! I have 1 Polaroid photo of the car somewhere. I'll find it and post it someday.

Also have a 66 Dart 170, 2 door sedan, /6, 3 speed, factory radio and heater delete.

Nothing too odd but with the loads of documentation we got with dad's full optiined 67 Formula S. We found that the rear defrost was dealer installed as per owners request. Car was ordered new In California, why would they need rear defrost?? Lol

Oh the days when you could walk into a dealer and order what you wanted.Years ago at a mopar show in Denver was a un-restored 67 Dart 273 hi-po 4 speed 4 door sedan. In the 70's I worked at a Dodge dealership and we got allot of what I called "factory rejects".The owner of the dealership took ma mopar's mistakes.We had a 75 Coronet yellow,with a blue vinyl top and green interior.A 75 Dart SE with every possible option but had manual steering.76 Ramcharger with a 440,A/C,power windows,cruise,also manual steering.We got a Aspen in with no oil pressure.Found out that the 318 only had the front and rear cam bearings installed.For the most part odd color combo's.Oh yea,1 more.A 76 Aspen station wagon brown/brown interior, 360, 3 speed on the floor, power brakes,manual steering,radio delete.

I wonder if there are any drivers education cars out there with pedals on the pass side also.
I will look for pics when I get home. Guy here in Denver has a 70 Coronet R/T that was a drivers ed car.

My roadrunner in my sig pic was a Chrysler exec car, 383 4spd with cruise control.

Actually i just picked up an unusual one.
A 1975 Valiant 4 door taxi.
999 paint code and it looks like it was a basin street blue (petty blue) body with a white painted top, 225 slant six, column auto, power steering, non power big bolt pattern disc brakes, 6'' steel wheels, 65 amp alternator, heavy vinyl back seat that is smooth with no pattern to it, and a pull strap on the passenger's rear door.
It also has a sensor on both rear door pillars to indicate if the door is not closed properly or is opened at any time.
VIN is VT41C5FXXXXXX and is a built to Canadian specs car.
I'm not sure what i'm going to do with it yet, but i certainly didn't want to see it parted out any further and crushed!

My first was a 66 Coronet 440 poly 318 with PS, A/C, and PW.
I've never seen another with those options.

I currently have a 66 Coronet 440 383-4 with PS and A/C.
Has dealer installed radio, so ordered without (no antenna hole)
1679 66 440s with 383 built, how many had A/C?

Also have a 73 Satellite built with no day/night mirror, and no carpet.
Base int (no wood grain). No trim except side molding (no drip rail, no wheel, no belt, no rocker).
.....but has A/C.

Also a 72 Charger SE 400-4. Has both sway bars and 3.23 SG.
Bucket interior A/C, clock cluster and auto on column with no buddy seat.
(no slap stick?)

I had a 70 Super Bee with PS, A/C and 3.55 SG.
I guess A/C cars almost always had 3.23 or higher.

I've seen and driven a 77 Aspen wagon in maroon, with bucket seats, rallye wheels and a 360 4 speed.

I've seen a 67 Dart with a passenger head rest only and build sheet to prove it.

In the early days of ebay, I bid on a 68 Super Bee- B3 blue, stripe delete, bench seat, 4 speed with A/C.

I have a 67 Charger factory ordered with these nice options: 383/4 bbl., 4 spd.,PS, PB, A/C, remote mirror, console, buffed silver paint and radio. What's puzzling is the owner elected to order the car with standard 7.75/14 black wall tires and small hub caps.
A few extra dollars spent on top of the chosen expensive options for white walls or redlines and wheel covers would have made the car completely different looking.
[/QUOTE]
Maybe the original owner was planning on putting mags on the car right away? We see people doing that a lot these days. Just go on CL (or kijiji up here) and you'll see all kinds of available "new take-off" tire and rim packages from people that upgraded their wheels on day 2.

Here is one that I owned.64 Belvedere 4 door sedan,Poly 318, power steering,automatic.Here is the odd part,tinted glass but no A/C.Radio delete,glove box light and light in the trunk but no backup lights.It also had front and rear bumper guards that were most found on the more expensive Fury model.Back then if you wanted to order a car,you went in and the salesman got out a order form.Check the boxes of what you wanted and they MAILED it to the factory.Just about anything could be had.

IMG_1443.jpg

Maybe the original owner was planning on putting mags on the car right away? We see people doing that a lot these days. Just go on CL (or kijiji up here) and you'll see all kinds of available "new take-off" tire and rim packages from people that upgraded their wheels on day 2.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...sounds reasonable and I know a lot owners did just that. But the car still retains the body color wheels indicating to me the owner used it as ordered.

-
Back