Oem Gts Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston Calipers

-

squirrelyone

Reaction score
I Wanted To See If Anybody Knows How Much A Set Of Original Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston Calipers And Rotors Off Of A 1968 Gts Dart Would Go For ? I Have A Complete Set Good Condition Thats Off Of A Gts. Are These Still Common To Find Or Rare. Please Let Me Know Guys.

I bought a complete set of 4 piston brakes; calipers, rotors (shot), spindles, hubs, etc. from a member here on the forum about a year ago for $75 IIRC plus shipping. They were off of a newer car but I think all of the sbp stuff is the same. Everything I bought needs to be reworked, ie the calipers need rebuilt etc. I thought the price I paid was more than fair. If all of the parts you have are useable as is I think I've seen them go for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300+. Maybe more. I think some places charge over $100 core charge each for the calipers, but I just checked Autozone & they're charging $25 to $30 core charge.

I can get rebuilt original 4 piston calipers here for $77.00 each. Here in Canada parts are less available and more expensive than in the states. Rotors are $105.00 each brand new.

I can get rebuilt original 4 piston calipers here for $77.00 each. Here in Canada parts are less available and more expensive than in the states. Rotors are $105.00 each brand new.

Do you have the source info. on those calipers for $77?

Thanks for any info.

... but I just checked Autozone & they're charging $25 to $30 core charge.

Even though Auto Zone lists these parts as available on their website they in fact, are not, at least in the Northwest part of the states. Same thing with Partsamerica.com, which is Schucks Auto Supply. I had to go to Calipersonline.com to get mine. The $100.00 core charge (each) can be avoided by shipping your cores to them first. I ordered the stainless steel piston variety since my car will not see daily use. Does anybody have newer, better info on availability?

Its no secret that I really dislike that brake system. I do however, like the A-body owners who already own that brake system. I would have to ask Autozone and others what they will pay for the rebuildable caliper cores and let them go. Then hold just the spindles for those owners who may desperately need one. There are no repops of those spindles as far as I know.

Even though Auto Zone lists these parts as available on their website they in fact, are not, at least in the Northwest part of the states. Same thing with Partsamerica.com, which is Schucks Auto Supply. I had to go to Calipersonline.com to get mine. The $100.00 core charge (each) can be avoided by shipping your cores to them first. I ordered the stainless steel piston variety since my car will not see daily use. Does anybody have newer, better info on availability?

You did very well going the stainless steel sleeve approach for the piston bores. Basically you should be troublefree for a long time. You have no worries about availability at this point, as your calipers are the best they can be, and should last indefinitely. There are piston seal kits available if the seals ever leak, but with your stainless upgrade should be good for a long time.

There are a bunch of older threads with info. on caliper/rotor availability.

Off the top of my head, O'Reilly's, NAPA, and brakewarehouse.com have the calipers, but you must come to the auto parts store with all the parts numbers in hand, because the counter people do not have catalogs with the info. Summit has aftermarket slotted,cross-drilled rotors for $79.

I think Red is correct that there are no spindle repops at this point.
Hopefully if we keep our K-H setups well greased and adjusted, we will not need spindles, but certainly, there will be some who will need them.

Red gives good advice; Save the spindles for yourself or someone else.

I put rebuilt calipers on my car about 20 years ago. I just flush them out every two years or so and they still work perfectly. And they are not stainless steel.

I put rebuilt calipers on my car about 20 years ago. I just flush them out every two years or so and they still work perfectly. And they are not stainless steel.

Flushing out the brake fluid works beautifully, keeping water out of the system

Brake fluid is hydroscopic: brake fluid absorbs moisture

Piston bores pit due to humidity, but can be helped by driving the car regularly, where the pistons have to travel through the range of the bore.

Some people have found running silicone brake fluid in older cars, where anti-lock brakes are not a consideration, is also a very good alternative, as silicone fluid does not absorb moisture.

Driving these cars every month is preferred, but sometimes this is not possible due to bad weather (winter).

Changing the brake fluid regularly, though, is a good insurance policy against rust in the braking system.

man looks like prices are all over the price for those things.. i have a good working set on a 71 dart that i will be parting out once the weather breaks.. had hoped to get $250 - $300 for them.. gonna have to find a resto guy that really needs them i guess.

Is this right for the KY disk set up? It looks just like the one for the small drums that we took off the car.

The only numbers I can find are a circle with a line thru it, 7 (maybe), -024-8

100_0508.jpg

100_0507.jpg

100_0506.jpg

100_0504.jpg

Its no secret that I really dislike that brake system.

Dare I ask?

Why?
When the shop put an ad out for "brake job" at a set price, the conventional one piston calipers got repetative and easy. Just a whisper of compressed air will baloon the dust boot allowing the piston to drop right in (very best way to do Ford) and we're making money. Then a corvette or something with 4 piston calipers rolls in a ruins an otherwise good day. Then 2 weeks later it comes back because 1 piston is sticking and wearing pads sideways or leaking fluid somewhere thus another good day ruined. There were no stainless pistons etc.. back then so those daily drivers kept comming back with one prob or another on one side or both.
I learned to hate all multi-piston calipers a long time ago.
Its my understanding that new Toyota trucks and some others now have similar. I haven't seen any and hope I dont. LOL
But like I said before , for those who own a car with such a brake system as OEM and in use, a part needed for repair, like a spindle, is great.

Pretty much all the super cars like the Viper, Corvette Z06, Shelby GT 500 KR and all the foreign exotics have as standard equipment, multi-piston calipers.
There are a lot of advantages using the multi-pistonm setup, as long as everything is in good working order.

Point very well taken, though, about the entire hassle concerning the potential for leaking seals. Totally makes sense that the more pistons with seals on a given caliper, the greater potential for problems.

When my calipers go, I'm planning the stainless steel sleeve insert upgrade, and be done with it!

Hopefully my spindles hold up, with only having to chase a thread or two, over time!

-
Back