Officially Homeless

-
Okay, I am now also using my phone. So the writing won't be as strong. I really do like your last paragraph. Very well put.

I am not saying It's my job to help, I just want to help. As for helping the addicted over the homeless. Lots of the homeless are addicted. So I will be helping them. What is so wrong with helping them? The addicted youth in the system already have help. The homeless more than likely don't. I don't understand why it's such a big deal that I want to try and get kids off of the street. It would be a huge benefit if you could. Crime would go down some too. I know, you can't help those that font want, or won't except it. But some of them want help and no one wants to give it. I know that everyone is going to butt heads over this whole topic, maybe it would be best if I just keep my ideas to myself and share with those that care, which in this case maybe no one. Shame on me for offering to help. Lol

Okay, I am now also using my phone. So the writing won't be as strong. I really do like your last paragraph. Very well put.

I am not saying It's my job to help, I just want to help. As for helping the addicted over the homeless. Lots of the homeless are addicted. So I will be helping them. What is so wrong with helping them? The addicted youth in the system already have help. The homeless more than likely don't. I don't understand why it's such a big deal that I want to try and get kids off of the street. It would be a huge benefit if you could. Crime would go down some too. I know, you can't help those that font want, or won't except it. But some of them want help and no one wants to give it. I know that everyone is going to butt heads over this whole topic, maybe it would be best if I just keep my ideas to myself and share with those that care, which in this case maybe no one. Shame on me for offering to help. Lol

I don;t have a problem with you wanting to help out, I think its very noble of you to want to do and being that your a single guy with no family man responsibilities you are prime for being able to do such a thing.

I respect the fact that you want to do the things you say you do and help out.

I am not trying to say its a stupid idea or anything, I was just trying to throw different options out there that may be a little wiser and that could still accomplish essentially the same goals but with out such a drastic change to your own life .....and yes I think to many people here on fabo have have "been there , done that" it would be offensive....because its hard to believe that someone would honestly want to voluntarily want to put them selfs into a situation that so many people faught so hard to get out of........and for the people who actually live life on a day to day basis as homeless may have been offended aswell and even though to you it felt like you would be doing it with the best of intentions.....it may really piss off someone on the street......and someone who could possibly be high on ****** and have a few 40 .oz in there system and a knife or a gun or something in the pocket is not necessarily the first guy you want pissed off at you lol .

So I don't think any of the things people have said here were specifically said to make you sound like your stupid or like its nothing but a waste of time or anything like that....I think I aswell as other thought about you and your safety and all figure there are many different ways for you to accomplish the same goals but by altering your plan on attack.

anyhow, I hope nothing I said makes you have any hard feelings towards me or anything, I wish you luck at the new position at work and I hope you can still find a way to help out........I think your hearts in the right place and its not that I Don't care about what your fighting for.....its just that I can not do something as drastic as you when it comes to elping out....as I have a family of my own to take care of and to ME that is MY number one priority.....not to mention, we are not the best off either.

the best i can do is drop change in buckets at christmas time, maybe drop change in donation jars at grocery stores, open doors for folks and so on....... May not be the biggest most noticed deeds in town.....but like I said in my last post, every deed no matter how big or how small will make a difference somewhere along the line.

You probably better, so you feel sorry for yourself because he doesn't have it as bad as you did? Bottom line is the guy is trying to help some people out other than himself, so now what the f#ck is your problem?

To each his own, I don't know many homeless people with a job, car, cell phone and internet access... This guy roughed if for a few days and maybe he learned a few things.. As long as he got something out of his quest thats all that matters...

J-MacsMopars, you're heading in a good direction by trying learn, grow, and help others. People are not always going to agree with the choices you make. In the big picture, you will probably do the most good by getting yourself established in a good career; you will be in a better place to help your family and your fellow man.

You probably better, so you feel sorry for yourself because he doesn't have it as bad as you did? Bottom line is the guy is trying to help some people out other than himself, so now what the f#ck is your problem?
shouldnt have let this get to me

Jerrod,

There is only one person on this forum that I have issues with and he hasn't posted in here. Thankfully we live in a free country, thanks to all that have volunteered to fight for this land that we call home. Do you think any of the people that where drafted became offended because people would volunteer to go live and work in those dangerous situations?

Tate,

Thanks for your support and seeing that I am trying to do good in the world. I wish there were more people that felt the same way. There is far to much greed in our society and not near enough care.

Greenhornet,

I have learned several things, not near as much as I had hoped as I got cut short. I agree, most homeless do not have cars, jobs, phones, etc... But like I stated, I couldn't give all that up just because I felt like doing something. I love people in general and help people whenever I can. It gives me a feeling of self accomplishment. There is no high like the high you get after helping those that need it.

Goldfish,

Thank you. I really do feel my heart is in the right place and that I can someday be a good example and show myself, my family, and the world that even though I started out as a f**k up. You can make something of yourself. This is something that I really would like to help troubled youth do. I also do agree with you that I can do good by having a good career. I really do look forward to having a family one day and plan to teach my children to love and respect their fellow man no matter what their situation may be. I know that people don't and won't always agree with me and I may have became a little defensive of myself here a time or two, but I truly hope to do good in my life.

Daredevil,

I truly do thank you for your input and want you to know that there are no hard feelings from me towards you and hope the same from you. I am sorry that I offended you, but still don't completely understand why it was offensive. I feel that if I was in the same situation as you where and seen someone wanting and willing to help out. I would do what I could to help out myself.

It was never a mockery and I don't see why you took it that way. I honestly think you are reading more into this than there was. I wasn't bashing or making fun of anyone's misfortune. I know you felt this was a bad idea from the start. You didn't feel it was productive. But damn, I feel it was much more productive than a lot of other people that are single and in my age group that go home and sit down in front of their computer to play World of Warcraft. Now that is something that is such a plus to all of us, NOT!!!

I will never know your life story, but I do respect you for what you have done and continue to do to help the homeless in your community. Thank you! I am sure there are some lives that you have touched as well.

I want to add one more thing. I didn't mean that you have to be a crackhead to be homeless, but it was mentioned that allot of the homeless are addicts and I threw that in. Looking back, that shouldn't have been said.

In conclusion, lets let this thread rest. There is no reason to become angry with one another over something like this. Thanks again everyone

Jeremy

I'm glad you're safe and didn't get rolled or hurt... I lived and worked construction in a small city near by for almost 11 years.. I saw all kinds of crazy things from homeless and crack heads, found billfold contents dumped out in back alleys, you know someone got robbed, beat or killed when you find stuff like that on the streets...

Was I talking to you? Did I say I had a problem? Just pointing out you dont have to be a crackhead to be homeless. I was one of the young people on the street. I wasnt a crackhead though.Twenty one when it happened. Just was a man and didnt run to mommy and daddy to hang on their coat tails. Wasnt but a few months but I will never forget it. Him play living on the street helped nobody. I thought this was a poor idea from the start. And it was a little offensive to mock peoples tragedy.If you ever end up there not by choice you will understand.This happened 30 years ago to me. Nowadays i,m an area manager for a plumbing company and doing well. Now WTF is your problem? DD

You were talking to everybody, you very clearly showed you had a problem. So you lived on the street when you were 21 you act like your the only person here that has had a rough beginning. There are alotof people here that couldn't run to mommy and daddy because they didn't have the money or care to help out anyway. You think what he is doing is OFFENSIVE? Yea your right, donating money to homeless shelters and food banks is completely out of line and trying to understand it the best he can with what he has is completely disrespectful.....you have a nice day

I never said it was out of line. Quit putting words in my mouth to defend yourself. I know what I do,heres an example.What have you done? You have a nice day.

I was NEVER defending myself I was defending Jeremy, Im glad your turning this into a competition about who is the best do-gooder, you said what jeremy was doing is offensive to you.....I did not put those words in your mouth so dont even go there. Quit trying to knock everyone else who is trying to help, like you have. It is Childish, what does it matter as to how a person approaches it as long as they are doing some good?

Right on DD! I remember hearing about what you did....very stand up thing to do.

anyhow....I am sure everyone has an opinion on something like this and it all boils down to.......pretty much just do what you think is right and what will make you feel good, don't let me or any other person change your mind....just know that most of us mentioned some of the things we did to help out and give you different perspectives to tackle your goal....not so much as telling you our ideas were better than yours.

Hope everyone can get along and the tension in this thread can cool off a bit.....one thing I can say for sure.....its a good thing to know that so many people give a Sh!% about others rather than just themselves! .

keep at it, you will find a way to make it work that works for you and will still accomplish the goals you have in mind. Good luck

Just becareful ,alot of homeles people here in south florida will attack each other if they think you have something they want i have heard of several attacks ,not long ago there were 3 teens arrested for attacking homeless with a baseball bat they killed 1 homeless guy right by my house in a nice area he was sleeping on a bench

bum bashing is what it's called, or what you do when without a punching bag. 'joke'

I've heard of people driving their 4x4 through alleys over 'cardboard condominiums' , just running them bums flat.

I,m sure he can defend himself. He asked for opinions and he got mine. I dont know why you feel you have to strike out at me. Anyhow it doesnt matter as I dont care what you think. I will keep doing as I have done. Sorry what I said bothered you but he asked for opinions and he was a class enough individual that he listened to what I had to say and didnt take it personal. In earlier posts I pointed out he was in a position to help others and other options were available. I am glad he cares enough to try and experience things to understand the best way to help. Sorry that you have such a dim view of my opinion but thats life. Everyone will not agree with you. Sorry to have offended you but I will not apoligize for my views on life. DD

that wonderful, now move on

I have a few family members that are homeless and with good reason.
They basicaly would not listen to reason, and drugs was the main motivator in their decision making process.

You can only lie, cheat , steal and hurt everyone you know for so long until nobody wants you around unless you want buckshot in your behind.

Not alot of people choose to become homeless but their actions lead them there once they have exhausted all recources and fried their brains in the process while making enemies with everyone they know.

Sad how a thread can go into the ditch so completely.

Sad how some people look down on other people.

And for such a lame reason! (house-less)

Lets bash Chebby, Ferd or Terminal Moters. Much more fun, and actually, some of those cars are a joke, to say the least!

IMHO the OP has a big heart, though a little misguided, his intent is pure.

Write your book, do research, don't fake houselessness, that's a warning, people in high stress situations can snap if you cross them. Most of the "homeless/worthless" people I have met are mentally ill or thier rental was foreclosed out from under them, neither have any "bounce back power"

No jobs =no $$$ =no roof, that simple, most "sane" people climb out of the hole, slowly at best. "car dwellers"

Feel good about your intentions, don't let your heart rule your head.
Give your time or money to a food pantry, meals on wheels, your local churches, or take one under your roof. (if you dare)

Good luck,

LCjeff

I have a few family members that are homeless and with good reason.
They basicaly would not listen to reason, and drugs was the main motivator in their decision making process.

You can only lie, cheat , steal and hurt everyone you know for so long until nobody wants you around unless you want buckshot in your behind.

Not alot of people choose to become homeless but their actions lead them there once they have exhausted all recources and fried their brains in the process while making enemies with everyone they know.

Yup Meth does strange stuff to people, I thought it was a rust remover.:stop:

LCjeff

Hey J-mac,

I have been quiet here about my thoughts on homeless people for bit here. It seems a pretty heated subject, which proves that its a time in someones life that emotions run high. I think a lot gets lost in the keyboard and if we were all sittin around leaning over a fender and discussing this it would sound very different. I too like to write and unfortunately I am uneducated so its pretty much unpublishable. If that makes sense. Writing helps me heal the things in my life I cant change. I think its noble that you want to help others and try to be a better person. You are a better person by changing your life and getting on track. Maybe you dont realize what you have accomplished. We all have had that friend that never did get back on track and is now incarcerated or 6 feet under. Its painful to watch. I have become a slave to my posessions and often dream of a time when I had one car (my Dart) and lived in a cheap apartment. I made very little money and squeeked by every month. I even ate Top Ramen every day to save money. Those were simpler times and more carefree. I too wanted to help people in need. I chose to go back to school and become a firefighter paramedic. It took 3 years of working full time and going to school full time to do it and it was rough. Here is where the homeless come in. I work in a beach community on the west coast. We have a lot of homeless people here and I meet differnet folks daily. EVERY one I come across has some type of hang up. Whether it is drugs, alcohol, or mental illness. The edia glamourizes the homeless as regular people down on their luck. This can be true as proven by some good people here on this forum. However the celebrities who make a big stink about the homeless being victims of society, is untrue and those people have no clue what the homeless are about. This is where your experiment comes into play. To help the homeless you need some perspective. Even though you are not desperate and truly homeless at least you are trying. Geez, I wish some politicians or upper management would approach problems this way, the world would be such a better place. I know some here have fallen on bad times, however it is usually short lived. We as a community of car guys are of the "roll up your sleeve and get it done" types and work hard to get where we are today. Each day I run across troubled youth as well and wish I could reach out more to them. It seems to me that most of them are still able to turn their lives around. Even though I only see them for a brief period of time, i feel I can touch them in a way that will help them think of a way out of their situation. I know its just a moment in their life but maybe I will touch one of them and it starts the process of healing. I have seen many people take too many pills or even ****** and stop breathing and come close to death, hell I have had some get mad as hell when they wake up after we give them medication to reverse the narcotic of choice for ruining their high. My point after this long rambling is that you can make a big difference in someones life by living the example you have set. Talking to kids in school about your experiences could make a huge difference in some kids lives and maybe they wont travel down the same road you did. Money doesn't solve all problems, people giving a crap does. I am proud of you for trying to expand your horizons and help another human being during this time on the earth.

To the other members here who have been down and out at some point in your life. I am proud of you as well, we all have our trials. You have worked hard and have thrived in the most diverse situations. You should never forget where you came from and be proud of what you have accomplished. Its these experiences that build character in ourselves, which seems to be a dying quality in this country.

If you ever have a chance, check out Will Smith's movie "The Pursuit of Happiness".

Excellent (true) story about a man who loses it all, and busts *** to climb to the top.

-
Back