Oil Filters

-
What type of cutter do you use?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-900510&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That is the cutter I used, there is another one summit sells for twice the price but it looks the same except for color.

Dart-swinger here is a link to that site. I also did spend some cash but I worked at an auto parts store so I got a small discount plus I like to save people money so if I could tell them buy this filter instead of another one because its a little cheaper but pretty much the same I would do that.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

I just put a Napa filter on my 340. It great to hear it a Wix filter repackaged for Napa .

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-900510&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That is the cutter I used, there is another one summit sells for twice the price but it looks the same except for color.

Dart-swinger here is a link to that site. I also did spend some cash but I worked at an auto parts store so I got a small discount plus I like to save people money so if I could tell them buy this filter instead of another one because its a little cheaper but pretty much the same I would do that.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Thanks!

I used Frams for years without issue but they scare me now. I use Wix on my cars now. They only cost about $2 more then a cheap Fram. The local Advance Auto Parts store has Purolators for the same price Walmart sells Frams for.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this. I have been using Fram filters for many years. No longer will any of my vehicles receive another Fram. Thank for opening my eyes to this. Fram, cheap mexican crap!

I pulled this off of the net about Fram and a recall back in 1995

FRAM oil filter danger

FLASH!!! (April 14 1995) Due to several recent failures during races in the U.S., FRAM has announced a recall of several models of FRAM oil filters, and racing organizations have banned these filters. Several racers suffered serious injuries when their oil filters literally blew apart, causing them to crash.

I was reading on a Corvette forum about this very subject and one of the members recalls hearing that Fram was buying Purolator. I'm not sure how true that is cause I have not been able to verify it.

In my younger days I had a Pepsi sales route. I made deliveries to a filter plant. One day when I was there they had just completed a meeting about filters. They had several different one on display on the table in the front of the room. I asked the person incharge there if they were compareing different manufacturs filters. He said no, we make all of these. He told me that they were all the same except for the can that the paper was installed in with the exception of the Motorcraft one that had a few more paper pleats. Their display had the likes of Mopar, Wix, Ace, AC, Powerflow, Napa, Motorcraft plus others I don't remember. They also had their own on display. Since then I have used any of the cheaper ones that this manufactur had because there was no difference anyway.

http://hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=oil+filters&partid=23369[/URL] Anyone ever tried these jomar filters?

Again, good work Seth. I use whatever is cheap on my 2 Ford daily drivers but only use WIX or NAPA on my Mopar. Got to take care of the important engine.

Ill be looking for NAPA "gold" next time . Thanks for the info.

Good job man!! I have always used FRAM but after looking at this I think I'm going to change to the WIX. I feel like how a dog owner would feel when he discovers he has been feeding his best friend the worst dog food on the market. :sad10:

Thanks!!

Very interesting comparison. I really notice the difference in oil pressure in my tool truck after an oil change with a Fram filter. I won't use them anymore. It does look like Wix is the highest quality. I have switched to Car Quest Premium filters and looked up on the net as to who makes them and found this site. http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html It looks like the Car Quest, NAPA,
and Wix are all made by Dana and would be the same quality. Again, very interesting and valuable
information. Thanks for doing the testing!
toolmanmike

Good job man!! I have always used FRAM but after looking at this I think I'm going to change to the WIX. I feel like how a dog owner would feel when he discovers he has been feeding his best friend the worst dog food on the market. :sad10:

Thanks!!

Thanks, I am right there with you, I have always used a FRAM up until the last oil change, I put a Mopar Performance filter on it. I never had a problem that I know of with FRAM even when racing but I just figured I would try something else. I am going to try one of the synthetic media filters on my daily driver just to see. I doubt I will be able to tell any difference from using it, but they are supposed to filter more efficiently so I figure why not.

ram250098, that is one of the reasons I did this. I could tell people I use this filter or maybe I heard good things about another filter but I never really had a true reason why I used it or thought it was good.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this. I have been using Fram filters for many years. No longer will any of my vehicles receive another Fram. Thank for opening my eyes to this. Fram, cheap mexican crap!

I pulled this off of the net about Fram and a recall back in 1995

FRAM oil filter danger

FLASH!!! (April 14 1995) Due to several recent failures during races in the U.S., FRAM has announced a recall of several models of FRAM oil filters, and racing organizations have banned these filters. Several racers suffered serious injuries when their oil filters literally blew apart, causing them to crash.

I was reading on a Corvette forum about this very subject and one of the members recalls hearing that Fram was buying Purolator. I'm not sure how true that is cause I have not been able to verify it.

Last I heard(read) Bosch and some other company bought Purolator a few years ago. I read that someone emailed them and the response back was from a person at Bosch,

In my younger days I had a Pepsi sales route. I made deliveries to a filter plant. One day when I was there they had just completed a meeting about filters. They had several different one on display on the table in the front of the room. I asked the person incharge there if they were compareing different manufacturs filters. He said no, we make all of these. He told me that they were all the same except for the can that the paper was installed in with the exception of the Motorcraft one that had a few more paper pleats. Their display had the likes of Mopar, Wix, Ace, AC, Powerflow, Napa, Motorcraft plus others I don't remember. They also had their own on display. Since then I have used any of the cheaper ones that this manufactur had because there was no difference anyway.

Same with many types of milk, kitchen cabinets, etc.
I'll toss my $.02 in:
1987 GMC cargo van, 650k. Just pulled a 5000 pound bobcat with it including all my tools in the back. Seemed to still have most of it's power. I don't think the camshaft is round yet.
1991 Jeep 4.0, 317k, gave it away two years ago. Still got 18mpg and used no oil, acceleration still there. People are still driving it.
1991 Jeep Laredo 4.0, kids' college car, only 183k but sill runs great.
2001 Chrysler Town and Country, 256k, daily driver, no issues yet with small V-6.
2006 Cobalt,73km no issues yet.

Oil changes every 3000 miles with Fram and Wal-Mart oil, about 99.99% of the time. Are these filters that are exploding being over torqued or other wise installed wrong? I never met a filter on someone elses car that I didn't have to pound off. I don't think they stay on your car long enough to matter one way or the other, just use what you are comfortable with. Now, that said, I'm not saying you should use inexpensive stuff on your on your 900h.p. wheelstander, but keep in mind that some racecars go thru the traps with no oil pessure at all. I remember filters in the '70s that you could stack one, two or three toilet paper rolls in. They might be the best, but who wants to add all that weight to their car?

-
Back