Oil Pan Plug Issue

-

dart14

Reaction score
1969 318 in a coronet leaking oil from the plug. Tried a self tapper and the self tapping threads got eaten while inserting the self tapping plug. Purchased a helicoil kit from NAPA (1/2 x 20) for $48. Drilling out the hole (33/64 bit and another $20) seemed fairly tough but was accomplished. Tried to tap the hole and the threads on the tap got eaten. What is this reinforcement around the drain hole made of ? Need a top of the line tap ? Is there a trick to this ?

P1010191 - Copy.JPG

P1010192 - Copy.JPG

P1010194 - Copy.JPG

maybe it is in the heat affected zone from when the thread insert was welded in?? If you can weld, I would say to remove the old insert plate and weld in a drain bung that they sell for transmission pans or have a shop do it.

I wonder if you could heat the begeezuz out of the pan threaded piece and let it cool as slowly as possible to anneal the steel. Then thread it with the tap.

1969 318 in a coronet leaking oil from the plug. Tried a self tapper and the self tapping threads got eaten while inserting the self tapping plug. Purchased a helicoil kit from NAPA (1/2 x 20) for $48. Drilling out the hole (33/64 bit and another $20) seemed fairly tough but was accomplished. Tried to tap the hole and the threads on the tap got eaten. What is this reinforcement around the drain hole made of ? Need a top of the line tap ? Is there a trick to this ?

View attachment 1715975103

View attachment 1715975104

View attachment 1715975105
Buy a fine thread nut & bolt and weld the nut to the outside.

Speedway has pans for around $50 bucks before you pull too much hair out. Could try the welding options above, but sounds like my typical struggle of me convincing myself I can save $60 by buying a $19 tap and fighting it myself for 2 hours, then welding a nut on for an hour, then blow a hole through the pan, or the nut leaks....and could have had a new pan on for $50 in an hour lol. God I love these old cars...lol

View attachment 1715975103

View attachment 1715975104

View attachment 1715975105

my daughter drove my 88 silverado for a while in college, she had the oil changed at quick lube and they stripped it , I ended up tapping the hole with a 3/8'' pipe tap , and used a 3/8 pipe plug in in , no more problems...

I've seen those work for temporary plugs where you have a leaking soft plug. They can be VERY convenient if the soft plug is in a location which is really hard to replace properly without removing an exhaust manifold, or intake & head, etc
They're not ideal, but sometimes they can be a life saver.

I've seen those work for temporary plugs where you have a leaking soft plug. They can be VERY convenient if the soft plug is in a location which is really hard to replace properly without removing an exhaust manifold, or intake & head, etc
They're not ideal, but sometimes they can be a life saver.
I'd jump on that to get home! BUT, for a Continuous Immersion in a Hot Oil Bath? Err, ahh, ummm, No, Dammit! Hell No!

followed rustycowl69's advice and heated it up slow cooled as best I could and got the the tap to bite and completed the new threads for the helicoil insert. I tried cutting a helicoil down about 60% of the length, but I couldn't get it to insert and seat properly. Inserted a full helicoil and cut it off from the inside of the pan opening but it is still a little sloppy. Not satisfied with the threads on the original plug so I am going to buy a replacement tomorrow, snug it up, and add some oil to see if it holds. I thought about buying a replacement pan, but trying to keep as much original as I can, but starting to wonder if it is really worth it.

P8280196.JPG

P8280197.JPG

PC230126.JPG

followed rustycowl69's advice and heated it up slow cooled as best I could and got the the tap to bite and completed the new threads for the helicoil insert. I tried cutting a helicoil down about 60% of the length, but I couldn't get it to insert and seat properly. Inserted a full helicoil and cut it off from the inside of the pan opening but it is still a little sloppy. Not satisfied with the threads on the original plug so I am going to buy a replacement tomorrow, snug it up, and add some oil to see if it holds. I thought about buying a replacement pan, but trying to keep as much original as I can, but starting to wonder if it is really worth it.

View attachment 1715976602

View attachment 1715976603

View attachment 1715976604
Thanks for the follow-up. Most of the time, we never hear the end of the story.
I'll be ecstatic if it ends up working for you. One of my wild a$$ ideas finally worked?! Hahaha.

-
Back