Oil pump.... reuse or buy new?

-
I've cut corners before, but places I will not cut corners are bearings, rings, oil pumps and timing sets.
Yea I am starting to see y'alls point in the discount parts. I'm gonna have to go back and redo my lower control arms. :BangHead:
I was gonna go with engine tech bearings but decided to go with clevete 77 instead ordered them today.

If the pan comes off any of my motors that has any type of run time I dont think twice about changing either oil pump or timing chain. Little peace of mind.

Nice little video...

That guy changed the pressure relief spring to gain only 3 psi...
confused.gif

Mellings pumps come with 72 psi springs and the MP high pressure spring is 75 psi.... :realcrazy:

Melling makes a lot of Mopar stuff so it's probably the same spring.

I called Mellings when I did my how to change a pressure relief spring and they told me that they use the 72 psi spring in all of their Mopar oil pumps...

Mopar Performance uses a 55 psi spring on the standard pumps and you have to use the spring kit to get it to 75 psi...

Same here, spoke to Cale from Melling both Std volume and High volume gets the 70-75 psi bypass spring.
I called Mellings when I did my how to change a pressure relief spring and they told me that they use the 72 psi spring in all of their Mopar oil pumps...

Mopar Performance uses a 55 psi spring on the standard pumps and you have to use the spring kit to get it to 75 psi...

Melling makes a lot of Mopar stuff so it's probably the same spring.

Yes, they do, but I don't think that they make the standard oil pumps for MP...

The guy on the MP line could not tell me who makes their oil pumps.... (He didn't know....) :wtf:

I consider the oil pump the heart of the engine. Way back in the mid 70s a buddy of mine re used the pump in a 340. Not even 5 hundred miles we were pulling the pan for a new pump. Kim

Shoot I have a Melling pump I got new and it never made more than 60 psi or so, pretty rock-solid but definitely never anywhere near 72-75 psi. Maybe I got an MP one off Mancini? It was 9 years ago I can't remember lol, I do remember it was a standard one though not HV or HP.

Shoot I have a Melling pump I got new and it never made more than 60 psi or so, pretty rock-solid but definitely never anywhere near 72-75 psi. Maybe I got an MP one off Mancini? It was 9 years ago I can't remember lol, I do remember it was a standard one though not HV or HP.
You got the lower pressure relief spring.... 55 psi. The 2 springs look identical but if you put a caliper on them you will find the spring wire in the higher pressure spring is a few thousandths thicker.

Is higher oil pressure always a good thing? I mean is 60 any better than 50?

Not necessarily, if u have good idle pressure say 20 lbs at 600 rpm or 30 lbs at 1000rpm ur good to go. Kim
Yea that is what I was thinking also I didn't what to get wrapped up in trying to get 60 or 70 psi if 50 is good enough

AS with new cylinder heads new oil pumps have to be pulled apart and inspected
best to round the corners and to check and see if the passages line up
I've found all kinds of grinder crap in new pumps
and there is a lot of junk out there
remember that the size and flow of the intake side is very important, more important than the pressure side
oiling of Mopars from one to the other is critical

Don't hate me but what's an oil-pressure gauge,lol. I have no idea what my engine is running on, I never look at it. That factory gauge only says one thing to me, put it in gear and let the clutch out.
If the engine develops a problem at 6000 rpm that would be 100 Rs per second, and she's toast anyway. My hot idle rpm depends on where I have my Dial-back timing set, so unless I was to watch that gauge religiously, the pressure could be this or that.
I just jump in and drive; What ever will be will be.

Don't hate me but what's an oil-pressure gauge,lol. I have no idea what my engine is running on, I never look at it. That factory gauge only says one thing to me, put it in gear and let the clutch out.
If the engine develops a problem at 6000 rpm that would be 100 Rs per second, and she's toast anyway. My hot idle rpm depends on where I have my Dial-back timing set, so unless I was to watch that gauge religiously, the pressure could be this or that.
I just jump in and drive; What ever will be will be.
I agree my everyday driver has 0, 40, 110. As long as it stays above 40 I never give it a second thought. Tbo I didn't even know what the recommend pressure was until the other day.

Well you're in deep now! LOL might as well buy new everything that matters and an oil pump matters..

Well you're in deep now! LOL might as well buy new everything that matters and an oil pump matters..
Yea I know lol I'm in so far I'm at the point of getting nervous about it. If something goes wrong it's to late to turn around now.

-
Back