Oil pumps again...

-

Miszny

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone had experience comparing Melling 63HV and Milodon 21814 pump body with lets say HV standard pump cover? Does it make sense?
It seems that there is no information on Milodon, weather its worth to go with it, what is the size difference? What is the drag it creates vs the HV pump etc.
I tried to see whats the GPH rating for HV pump but I failed to find this information.
Any pros ad cons price aside? I saw some claims regarding power gains using milodon vs HV pump as well with more low rpm oil pressure. Any real life information that you could share?

Thank you.

I am pretty sure I recently saw this exact test on the Engine Masters show but I don’t see it on a quick search.
Maybe season 6 episode 14.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I recently saw this exact test on the Engine Masters show but I don’t see it on a quick search.
Maybe season 6 episode 14.

Yes you did and it was performed on a bb Mopar. Why? Oil pump is an easy swap. Compared stock vs HV vs HP. The verdict was to use high volume pump.

They also proved that high pressure uses horsepower.

Last edited:
Yes you did and it was preformed on a bb Mopar. Why? Oil pump is an easy swap. Compared stock vs HV vs HP. The verdict was to use high volume pump.

They also squashed the high pressure uses horsepower wives tale.
What about Milodon billet aluminum pump?

your saying that a stock type pump had more low rpm oil pressure than a hi volume ???

They were all stock type except for the Milodon. When comparing them all to pressure, volume and HP the HV scored the best at pumping gph and maintaining pressure. The hp thing was a non-issue.

They were all stock type except for the Milodon. When comparing them all to pressure, volume and HP the HV scored the best at pumping gph and maintaining pressure. The hp thing was a non-issue.

I am not having any trouble , but do wish I had more pressure at idle...

Hi

I wonder if anyone had experience comparing Melling 63HV and Milodon 21814 pump body with lets say HV standard pump cover? Does it make sense?
It seems that there is no information on Milodon, weather its worth to go with it, what is the size difference? What is the drag it creates vs the HV pump etc.
I tried to see whats the GPH rating for HV pump but I failed to find this information.
Any pros ad cons price aside? I saw some claims regarding power gains using milodon vs HV pump as well with more low rpm oil pressure. Any real life information that you could share?

Thank you.
I believe milodon only rates there system at max rpm, like my single line remote with swinging pick up is good for 7500 if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find some instructions for it when I get off work.
Actually only good for engines turning under 7000.
Uh oh

Last edited:
Im actually curious how Milodon billet works with stock type pump cover vs HV pump with stock type cover. When youre lookig for a pump its usually rotor part thats gone, rest is good so in reality for billet pump you need to spend 50-60$ more. This is why I'm asking but from what youre saying its a waste of money... I have a few stock covers to try with Milodon, but at this point spending 200$ for this experiment seems stupid.

The hell with it I’m going to buy the Milodon and see for myself. Hopefully this will answer other people question as well. I am in Europe so this may take 2-3 weeks but I will compare to Melling 63hv that I have and see what’s what.
Will keep you posted on this.

Well , I strongly recommend getting a MTOD subscription but you may not be able to in your country.... so if you can't , Enginemasters episode season 6 ep 93 . The Milodon was a horsepower eater.

oil pump 003.JPG

Well , I strongly recommend getting a MTOD subscription but you may not be able to in your country.... so if you can't , Enginemasters episode season 6 ep 93 . The Milodon was a horsepower eater.

View attachment 1715972502

Not possible in my area, I'd have to play with VPN and figure out in USA payment method.

I will check real life result on my engine soon and post information on hot idle pressure. Peak will be the same for both as I will be testing both with the same cover.

View attachment 1715972502
There's some strange numbers there. So the stock pump was more of a power eater than the HP and HV??
TV land...

They also squashed the high pressure uses horsepower wives tale.
Did they??
It takes more force to increase pressure.That's a simple fact. If you bench tested those pumps under controlled conditions, you'd see that's true.
That's why getting your education from watching entertainment TV, is not the best of ideas.

Im actually curious how Milodon billet works with stock type pump cover vs HV pump with stock type cover. When youre lookig for a pump its usually rotor part thats gone, rest is good so in reality for billet pump you need to spend 50-60$ more. This is why I'm asking but from what youre saying its a waste of money... I have a few stock covers to try with Milodon, but at this point spending 200$ for
Did they??
It takes more force to increase pressure.That's a simple fact. If you bench tested those pumps under controlled conditions, you'd see that's true.
That's why getting your education from watching entertainment TV, is not the best of ideas.

Right. What I meant to say was that they proved that fact. I changed it. Thanks for catching my error.

I believe milodon only rates there system at max rpm, like my single line remote with swinging pick up is good for 7500 if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find some instructions for it when I get off work

thats whats on my engine now ...

I believe milodon only rates there system at max rpm, like my single line remote with swinging pick up is good for 7500 if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can find some instructions for it when I get off work

But if it’s 80psi at 7500 you can easily have that with any HV pump. My HV pump with stock style 1/2” pickup is between 75 and 80 psi at 7200 (my redline). Out of the box it was going up to 90 so I shortened the return spring a little.

Also if you do the math using numbers shown by engine masters episode, assuming it’s proportional, HV pump should do 6.5gpm and HP 6.4 gpm…

Soon I will post my numbers for your guys.
Now with HV pump I get 25psi in gear at 850 rpm. It’s built loose with pressure fed roller lifters and non bushed lifter bores. We will see if it changes with billet Milodon using stock pump cover.
This should show what’s what.

Last edited:
Did they??

Back in the 1980’s and even today, the lie (it has to be a lie because it’s easy to prove a lie) was that a magneto took a bunch of power to drive. Warren Johnson said it was 5 hp (IIRC) and others said it takes upwards of 10 hp to drive one.

The fact is it takes less than 1 hp to turn a mag. And that was a 10 amp mag. An actual 10 amp mag, not an MSD rated 10 amp mag.

So it’s not unusual for a HV pump to show a power increase.

LOL, so the more pressure the pump has to produce, the less power it consumes.. Brilliant..
You should be working at NASA..

LOL, so the more pressure the pump has to produce, the less power it consumes.. Brilliant..
You should be working at NASA..
If you know your correct prove it & move on !
I'm curious what they call NASA where you're from?
Is it ASSUH ?

-
Back