rickstershemi

It's True....I'm Nutz
Reaction score
The new 408 is done....no pics yet
frown.gif

360/408

4" Scat Crank

6.123 Scat Rods

KB (Icon) .030 over Forged Flat-top pistons at zero deck.

Total Seal Rings

Worked J-Heads & New 2.02 1.60 PBM Valves - back cut, 10.5-1 comp.

Erson Cam: Flat/HYD Intake: 312/248 @ .503, Exhaust: 320/256 @ .517, 110 installed @ 106

PRW 1.5 aluminum roller rockers (PITA) but got them to work......
rant.gif

Weiand Tunnel Ram w/600 AFB's

1 5/8 - 1 3/4 - 3" step headers through 3" full exhaust

4-speed / 3.91 gears / 3000# / 26-27" 9" ET Street

I'm hoping for at least a solid 450hp and 11's....
luck.gif

Whatcha Think....
1343795-scratchchin.gif

Rickster

Erson? What WERE you thinkin? 450 is probably in the ballpark. Any port work on the heads?

Erson? What WERE you thinkin? 450 is probably in the ballpark. Any port work on the heads?

Heads have extensive porting done and hopefully should be in the 260 range.....as far as Erson.....I don't understand your comment, I have a custom Erson grind in my 565" BBC that pushes my 63 vette roadster @ 2550# into the 7's @ 170+.......where does your Erson comment stem from, would be interesting to hear...??????

I hope your close on the 450 # I believe it should be very close, just looking to see what others thought, this is my first small block Mopar in a very long time, ran a 340 in my 72 Challenger that ran low 11's, but it was a roller and stock stroke, but way more compression and cam 8)

Rickster

My Erson comment is kinda an inside joke. When we had a Stupid Shops in Macon, Those boys tried pushin their crappy line of Erson street cams on us. If you compare them to other makes with similar duration figures, their lift is very low in comparison. They'd try to push the Erson 1.6 rockers on everybody to make the extra sale. Kinda stupid when when you could just get another brand cam with the lift you want and use the 1.5 rockers and not spend the extra money. I don't know how the rest of the Erson line is. Their bigger race oriented stuff might be better, but their street grinds just don't have a lot of lift. I've always thought that it was a marketing ploy to sell the higher ratio rockers. I could be slam off base. I know Eddie Hill used to be sponsored by Super Shops and Erson. That's supposed to mean he ran their stuff. He was DA MAN for a while, so there must be sumthin it. Course, I'm sure all his stuff was custom ground and not off the shelf.

My Erson comment is kinda an inside joke. When we had a Stupid Shops in Macon, Those boys tried pushin their crappy line of Erson street cams on us. If you compare them to other makes with similar duration figures, their lift is very low in comparison. They'd try to push the Erson 1.6 rockers on everybody to make the extra sale. Kinda stupid when when you could just get another brand cam with the lift you want and use the 1.5 rockers and not spend the extra money. I don't know how the rest of the Erson line is. Their bigger race oriented stuff might be better, but their street grinds just don't have a lot of lift. I've always thought that it was a marketing ploy to sell the higher ratio rockers. I could be slam off base. I know Eddie Hill used to be sponsored by Super Shops and Erson. That's supposed to mean he ran their stuff. He was DA MAN for a while, so there must be sumthin it. Course, I'm sure all his stuff was custom ground and not off the shelf.

Could be something there ....???? Have never ran one of their street grinds until this build.....every Erson I have ran has been a custom grind....my builder came up with this one, so we shall see...?????

and yes....Eddie Hill was certainly one to be reckoned with, actually my all time favorite top fuel driver & team, hell even their dog was cool :cheers:

Rickster

The new 408 is done....no pics yet
frown.gif

360/408

4" Scat Crank

6.123 Scat Rods

KB (Icon) .030 over Forged Flat-top pistons at zero deck.

Total Seal Rings

Worked J-Heads & New 2.02 1.60 PBM Valves - back cut, 10.5-1 comp.

Erson Cam: Flat/HYD Intake: 312/248 @ .503, Exhaust: 320/256 @ .517, 110 installed @ 106

PRW 1.5 aluminum roller rockers (PITA) but got them to work......
rant.gif

Weiand Tunnel Ram w/600 AFB's

1 5/8 - 1 3/4 - 3" step headers through 3" full exhaust

4-speed / 3.91 gears / 3000# / 26-27" 9" ET Street

I'm hoping for at least a solid 450hp and 11's....
luck.gif

Whatcha Think....
1343795-scratchchin.gif

Rickster

You sound right on track, of course it will depend on how well your chassis works. My guess would be in the 117 mph range at that weight.

You sound right on track, of course it will depend on how well your chassis works. My guess would be in the 117 mph range at that weight.

That would be great and put it in the 11.3 -.4 range if it will 60'....????? Funny as that is exactly what my old Challenger ran 8)

Rickster

This is a nice thread, Im in the process of building a 65 Dart with a 4inch motor as well. Shooting for around the same numbers as you.

This is a nice thread, Im in the process of building a 65 Dart with a 4inch motor as well. Shooting for around the same numbers as you.

Sweet would like to hear more about your project....!!!!!!!

Rickster

sounds cool, i would of used a cam with more lift though, really depends on head flow, big cubes like bigger cams.

I,m running a .631 lift solid roller in my 408,best run is [email protected] bigger cam will get you there with your exstensive ported heads.

lol, I wouldn't exactly say the porting is extensive, but it's pretty good according to my builder.....also the short lift with rather large duration should help with the iron heads I'm told....we will see.....?????

Rickster

Bigger cam isn't always better,you need the heads to support it,when i first built my 416 it was in the 11.20's with only a .494/.513 hyd. cam..

lol, I wouldn't exactly say the porting is extensive, but it's pretty good according to my builder.....also the short lift with rather large duration should help with the iron heads I'm told....we will see.....?????

Rickster

Even though the heads dont flow at that high of lift, it still can benefit from the extra lift. If you think about the ramp on a big lift cam it opens the valve faster and the head spends more time at its stall and you end up with more power. Even a stock lift head will make more power with a .590 lift cam will work on a stock port that stops flowing in the .450 lift range. Just my 2 cents from my experience.

Even though the heads dont flow at that high of lift, it still can benefit from the extra lift. If you think about the ramp on a big lift cam it opens the valve faster and the head spends more time at its stall and you end up with more power. Even a stock lift head will make more power with a .590 lift cam will work on a stock port that stops flowing in the .450 lift range. Just my 2 cents from my experience.

I could be totally off base here, but doesn't the longer duration pretty much do the same thing...????

Rickster

Rick, you will make AT LEAST 450 hp, but I am willing to bet you'll make closer to 500.
260 cfm flow in the head is enough to support well over 500hp. The cam duration seems right on.

I can't speak for the lift since I dont know what lift your heads are flowing the number at. Other than that, I think you'll be happy.

I'm pretty positive you'll run in the 11s.

I think you may have trouble with the dual AFBs an I think the cam is a little small. But, if the heads are 250-260 I don't think when it's all debugged it should make any less than 440-460. That should be enough to get close to 11s, but it will come down to chassis and driver/shifting.

may be alitle hard to hook up a tunnelramed 4" stroker with a fourspeed but im sure there is 11s runs with that car if you can just get it to hook

I could be totally off base here, but doesn't the longer duration pretty much do the same thing...????

Rickster

Hey Rick, I am not trying to second guess your combo at all. I think you will make good power and be very satisfied with it. Having said that someone commented on a low lift cam and I thought I would clarify. Flat tappet cams with large lobes with big duration @ .050" and a low amount of lift will have problems with lifter bounce, so the cam manufacturers slow the rate of lift to where the lifter can deal with it and stay in contact with the lobe. When you over shoot your ideal lift for maximum lift numbers, you effectively can have a steeper ramp than the low lift version. To support my theory, take a look at a stock eliminator cam, if ones available to you, and you will see a lobe that looks like a roller lobe with stock lift (short and fat). Stockers actually launch the lifter off the lobe to get more lift out of the stock cam. Pretty ingenious and was found by mistake! I hope this clarifies my answer to the previous question. Good luck with your car, i have a feeling its going to fly!

If the carbs are jetted right for the intake, you will have a engine that will be a torque monster.
It all depends on the head work, but i think 490 horse is a good guess.
The same set up in a 360 would be good for 450.
I think 40 cubes more is worth 40 horse.
The torque will be over 500 foot pounds.
A 408 is a very big engine and with a stock head should make a lot of torque.
Did i say torque???????:clock: time will tell. Good Luck.

-
Back