Old school rear look

-

Andrew Cinque

Reaction score
Hey Guys, thanks for letting me join the forum. I have a 68 Dart GTS and I’m looking to go with deep dish Cragars in back and larger tires. I definitely want that big tires in back muscle car look. I’ll need to lift the rear to clear the wells, looking for some guidance as to how to go about this. I’m guessing I’ll need longer travel shocks. Rebuild the existing springs and add to them or just buy new ones. Thanks

4E145D53-82FD-4224-BA49-353439175FAD.jpeg

Airshocks will beat the shock crossmember outta the car. Not good when it fails.

That's a beauty. All the things you're thinking will do it, though I think the current stance is perfect, maybe wider instead of taller. narrow an 8-3/4" housing 2" per side and you can get those deep dishes with out the mini tub if its the look you want and still have a decent ride quality.^^^^also what he said

I like the look of it as is, maybe a little bit higher in the rear would be ok, but in the end it is your car to do with as you wish. Love the color!

7" wide and 255's are about all you can do without wheel lip rolling and trimming or moving the springs in.

1492195-236824768adaa04e8dd4ce41bf2c70d2.jpg

Last edited:
If you buy new springs, ESPO is out your way IIRC... they can set them +1" or +2" in standard or heavy duty if you choose. Good deal, I recommend them.

My self, I stand on the gas in my GTS and the rear rises about three inches lol. :poke: Really wish I had one to drive on the street tho (jealousy).

That's a beauty. All the things you're thinking will do it, though I think the current stance is perfect, maybe wider instead of taller. narrow an 8-3/4" housing 2" per side and you can get those deep dishes with out the mini tub if its the look you want and still have a decent ride quality.^^^^also what he said
Narrowing the rear is way out of my pay grade and idk even where to go for that. But Im in NY so it shouldn't be all that hard to find someone. Here's the thing, I have 391's now, and was thinking of switching them out for more user friendly highway driving but I'm not sure yet. If I were to narrow the rear, in order not to have to lift the car in back as much to fit the tires I want, and chose to switch the gears later, would that effect the narrowing I just did ? If I went that route, I could probably just rebuild the springs with slightly more height and almost go with stock shocks. The car has air shocks now from the previous owner and I want this out asap.
Thanks

If you buy new springs, ESPO is out your way IIRC... they can set them +1" or +2" in standard or heavy duty if you choose. Good deal, I recommend them.

My self, I stand on the gas in my GTS and the rear rises about three inches lol. :poke: Really wish I had one to drive on the street tho (jealousy).
Someone on FB did recommend ESPO also. I plan to contact them and ask some questions.

Nice looking car. I love the stance you are looking for also. Super Stock springs worked for me. I ended up using 002 spring on both sides (I have the 003 spring yet). Different car, but am able to fit 29x12.5x15. Chrysler Imperial shocks are longer and should work. I am going with CE adjustable shocks.

20221120_224650.jpg

20221120_223924.jpg

IMG956858.jpg

-
Back