Oldschoolcuda saved by stranger

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Been holding out on this story but have to pass on because it shows the brotherhood of car lovers. Making a long story short was at a local car show last month when a show official came running up to me freaking out about a problem with my cuda. Look over and about 15 folks are standing around her pointing. Turns out my full tank of gas expanded on a super hot day and gushed out around the cap wiping a serious strip of paint off rear quarter panel. Talk about a buzz kill. Was just leaving show when gentleman came up to me and was just as devastated as i was. Turn's out he owns two local NAPA stores plus a NAPA auto body specialty store in town. Gave me his name and number saying i'll help you anyway i can. Realized a week later the whole rear quarter panel needed to be repainted and i was in over my head so called him. We took off trunk, matched paint with single stage ppg and he came over to my little garage and told me i'll show you how but your doing the work. This is how she looked after color sanding this afternoon and this guy owns a 67 mustang and 71 chevelle. Thank you car gods.

Oldschoolcuda

parts5 349.jpg

parts5 348.jpg

parts5 350.jpg

Wow, its surprising just how generous some people can be. Koodos to the Chevy and Ford guy. Hopefully you were able to swing a little black magic on him while he was in your shop and get him swapped over to the dark side! Glad it all worked out.

Well, that story shows that brotherhood exists from other brands too! Gratulations toa nive work.

Yea DRENO was ready to park her and save pennies for a total car winter repaint. Now i've got some limited experience color matching/blending paint. Wow their's alot to it with equipment, technique,temperature,humidity and vehicle contour. My hat is off to folks that do auto body for a living.

Oldschoolcuda

Ya see! THIS IS what the hobby is all about.

Oh, no, not the crowd of people pointing at your car thing!!!!!!

That had to be a crappy feeling.

I have a short story to share.
I was at one of the international speeways for a car show, not mentioning any names, when a bunch of the classic cars were lined up to take some parade laps around the track.
I noticed that one guy was having his car pushed by a bunch of buddies while waiting to get on the track as everyone was starting, and turning of their engines as they waited in the heat.
Well, I figured that the car did not like the stop/start thing, maybe battery was low or not pushing CCA's so I gave it no more thought, until the guy finally fired the car and I noticed his fuel cell fittings were dumping fuel when he started it and he was having it pushed so the officials would not notice the fuel he was going to leave all over the track.

Everyone saw it but except for the officials and he went and did his little laps and then parked it in the show field.
My buddy ran up to his car as the was parking it and said: "Hey buddy, i just wanted to let you know your fuel lines are leaking profusely coming out of your tank." and the guys said "(big frustrated sigh)"Yeah, I know, so what's it to you." and the guy walked away mumbling to himself.

So my buddy shakes his head and just walked away because he knew he was dealing with a cave man..
Funny thing is was the fact that I had several AN fittings and all the tools necessary to repair his problem in the trunk of my car and we already had in mind to ask him if he needed our help until he turned into and instant azzule.

You are right Spaz it was crappy. Have been around plenty of ups & downs in 30 plus years in the hobby but this took the cake. Have decent bodywork skills but had not shot paint in yrs. After reading your story that is exactly why i try to not be an a-hole unless provoked( does not always work). Then watch out if i am provoked( have you seen inglourious basterds). Anyway the best part is this guy is a paint guru and just loves classics regardless of make. In 2 weekends has taught me how to turn my cudas finish into a zero footer instead of a twenty footer and has recruited me into a local club. All it has cost me is supplies,beer and 2 dinners. Here is another pic. Amazing how we got 2010 paint to match 1984 paint ( cudas only repaint )

Oldschoolcuda

parts5 371.jpg

Question is - did you fix your tank vent line so it dosent happen again?

good to see this guy helped you out!

Incredible generosity and the main reason I think most of us do what we do.....the camaraderie amongst car lovers no matter what the brand seems to be the constant in our hobby :cheers:

Rickster

A true car guy is a true car guy. Regardless of brand loyalty. That's why I don't diss the others (only in jest). Reminds me of a rad story earlier this month :)

Grant

Same thing happened to my Demon this year. I wondered if it had something to do with the winter blend gas I had in it. It never happened before. I need the quarter repainted and the stripe replaced.

Glad to hear you got some help. That restores faith in the hobby and the world and is worth more than the job itself.

Sorry to hear you had the problem, but it was a great story.

I have never seen gas do that to paint, is there some kind of explanation to what has changed to make it do that?

Thank you for sharing this great fellow that took time to help another great fellow in need of experience :happy10:
A good guy alert and a great teacher in one :cheers: he must be living right to care and help some one and fallow up on it, I have seen and worked around a few NAPA countermen and they are the best in town :happy10:

I think he had some interest in my wife Mike & was willing to sacrifice her for cuda repair if needed( just kidding ). He is semi retired & just loves to teach and help. A true treasure to the hobby. My vent tube is fine. What got me was being parked in a low spot on rear drivers side that tilted car at a bad angle & habit of keeping cap slightly loose so contour of cap matched body line. Screwed by my own analness ( is that a word ? )Still had winter fuel mix plus several additives in tank that helped eat thru paint.

Oldschoolcuda

Wow Bruce that really sucks! Glad to see it worked out. When I get off deployment in December I need to take a look at your car and see the work. I might get in touch with that fella that helped you out and try and get some tips.

Hope you have a good car show season with some new paint! Tell MJ I said hi!

Rick on "the high seas"

Hey Rick. First off thanks for your service it's got to be tough out there in waterworld & we miss seeing you and your 64 out and about.The polar bear cruise to driver is in december and hopefully you'll be back in time. Was kinda in a lull with both cars basically being done & this mishap and the help given re-energized me. Only thing keeping me from diving into another a-body project is MJ & money. I am actully contemplating selling cuda to start a d-dart recreation project.

Oldschoolcuda

Why did the paint strip off? I've never seen gas to do that by just running down the side.

Car tilted at angle ,todays gas(10% alcohol), coctail of octane boost & lead additive added to tank plus fact it probably was seeping out for quite awhile before being noticed in 100 degree heat. Was a high blood pressure moment to be sure.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back