OMG need help fast

-
Agree, if the retainer is failing, then the fix is cheap and easy. If it breaks, that valve will drop in the bore, damage the valve, valve seat, and possibly the piston if she locks (dont ask how i know this one)

Grant

ok how do i get a pic from my gallery to here i have a pic there of the valve in question

oh and hemi i couldnt call that number for some reason i got a smiley instead of all the numbers lol

ok how do i get a pic from my gallery to here i have a pic there of the valve in question

What do you mean by your gallery? Is that a picture hosting service? If so just post a link.

BTW: Sounds like a broken spring retainer and don't run it at all like that or you could drop a valve in the cylinder and destroy alot like Grant said.

everybody joe is a saint and a big help we now know i need a cam and lifters put in ....... joe it was great talking to ya sorry my phone died and i get long winded but the wife dont talk mopars and it was nice to rap about cars .
thx to all for the input now i just buy the parts and slapper together lol

ok so now who has a good recommandation for a cam going in a truck with 488 gears and it cant be stock or so much it needs stall but i'd like it to hit good and have lots -o- torque?????? oh and did i mention affordable??? lets see what we come up with lol

cam is shot or a lifter failure either way it needs both and yes when i actually pull the parts i will post them, however that doesnt explain the spring retaining plate or spinner being different than the rest .... and the gallery means here in my photo gallery is a pick of the spring and assembly check it out and tell me how only one valve spring has that type off retainer and the rest dont ? the motor was suppose to be completely stock and all gaskets point towards that ... what a wierd set-up. the cupped retainer is what i am confused about it was made that way check it out in my photo gallery here on fabo

Maybe it had been changed with head on.. from the amount of sludge on there, I'd guess lifter not pumping back up. Is cam wiped? Hard to tell, but I'd swap a lifter in there first and see. Especially if the pusrod is still moving up and down the correct amount.

Retainer looks fine though from pic.

Sorry about the cell phone dyin!!! The funky retainer is a valve rotator on the exhaust valve. There is only 1. We were discussing why there is only 1. The engine has 2 different valve springs like the engine should have valve rotators on all of the exhaust valves but there is only one. The engine turns but the exhaust rocker dosn't move. The cam is gone or the lifter has had a massive failure.

i thought mine was the one that died lol hemijoejr i thank you very much for the help and any time you need a favor or an odd small block part hit me up i might be able to help

i thought mine was the one that died lol hemijoejr i thank you very much for the help and any time you need a favor or an odd small block part hit me up i might be able to help

No problem!! Glad I could be of service!!:cheers:

For a cam, make sure you don't go too big. You have a limit due to the retainer to guide clearance, and piston to valve clearance. Make sure you change the springs if you go to an other than stock cam. I will think about it and post back.

That's odd that it only had 1 exhaust rotator. Maybe they ran out of std. retainers in mid shift and used 1 rotator to finish up the head. Wouldn't surprise me of Ma Mopar. And WOW is that engine gunky.

BTW: if it's not too gunked up you can pull the rocker shaft on that side and pull the pushrods on that cylinder and use a HD extend-able magnetic pickup tool to reach down through the opening and pull out the lifter on that cylinder and see what it looks like. It's possible it's just a collapsed lifter. Either way you should be able to tell if it's just a bad lifter or the cam is shot. Again that's if the gunk doesn't keep the lifter from coming out.

I just picked up a high powered lighted magnetic pickup tool from Sears for $12 last month and it sure makes stuff like that easy.

thx fishy but if i gotta replace a lifter shes getting a cam an lifter set and a new chain and gears, that outta make her beat prof for a year or two of abuse lol , as joe said maybe new valve springs too lol.............. oh by the way joe dont forget on that cam it will be gased by a 2bbl card stock so we cant get to crazy .

ok question is : my 318 is popping in the carb under load, runs ruff at an idle, i have replaced every part of the ignition system, checked for fuel it is getting plenty, rewired the distribitor twice just to make sure im not crazy,and no change?????? keep in mind the auto was under no disstress when this started.... any ideas....? please help fast as for this is my daily driver .:snakeman:

my 73 318 did the same thing and it was a worn cam lobe. just started all the sudden. good luck

Was the vacuum steady? You did check vacuum right?

My money is on a burnt intake valve.

Are you planning on new rings and bearings as well or just cam and chain?

Looking at the pic are you sure it wasn't 191,000 miles? It's pretty messy in there. I would also add a new oil pump and pick up to the job because your pan is going to be packed full of crud if the heads look like that.

At least do a compression test before you tear the motor down.

I would definitely rebuild the whole thing at this point.
Doesnt mean you can't squeeze a couple years out of it, but IMO that's iffy.

I would be concerned as to why the lobe/cam failed, before replacing it.

If it is an oil flow problem then it will just happen again, and I know you don't want that.

I would be concerned as to why the lobe/cam failed, before replacing it.

If it is an oil flow problem then it will just happen again, and I know you don't want that.

That's why I'm with a rebuild.
I have a mag 360 that is TIRED. Blowing by and running on 20w50.
It runs, but it might as well not. lol:toothy10:

-
Back