On a'69 Dart with a white interior, what color is the metal painted?

-

69_340_GTS

Reaction score
On a'69 Dart with a white interior, what color is the metal painted? What color is the headliner supposed to be? I see lots of them painted black, lots of them painted white, some even painted body color! Lots of white headliners, lots of black headliners. What's correct... or is there no such thing?

On a'69 Dart with a white interior, what color is the metal painted? What color is the headliner supposed to be? I see lots of them painted black, lots of them painted white, some even painted body color! Lots of white headliners, lots of black headliners. What's correct... or is there no such thing?

What is you upper door frame paint code on your fender tag?

There are different combinations. But mostly look at upper door frame paint. That will dictate the upper AND lower color of the door.

The factory interior trim selector will sometimes say. Different model and interior grade may have different combination of white and secondary color. So a white and black interior Dart 170 may be different that a Dart GTS or GT.

The last picture of the 69 GTS burgundy upper and lower metal on the door is incorrect. The car has white and black interior. The door will match either the black or white in the interior. The exterior paint does not get carried over into the car. And you can see why; it looks totally out of place.

I believe the factory manual list the paint code for the upper and lower door frames. That paint code is a separate entity in itself. It is not the same color code as the exterior color, even if the exterior color is close. Even the white will be another shade.

Also different years will have different combo's. Your pictures show a 1967 Dart 270.

ALSO: The metal dash is absolutely not the same type of paint as the upper and lower doors. Dash paint is suede semi textured finish. It is not gloss. The idea is you do not get glare off the dash in your face. Same reason the factory never put white dash pads in these cars.

Factory Trim Selector here:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1969ColorAndTrim-04.shtml

Here is some explanation for hardtop car. Convertibles are different.

Read the last thing at the bottom of the page. And then read the two tone combination list. They are connected by the dictated color of carpet on the second seat determining the steering wheel and instrument panel being color keyed to the carpet.

69_Dart0002.jpg

69_Dart0003.jpg

There's something not right about the rear interior quarter panel in this convertible. They are never two tone. They are molded one continuous color. So either is all black or all white.

wheelpeople201209_Blue_Dart_interior_left.jpg

Sounds like if it's got white seats, then the metal is white and so is the headliner, with black dash and black carpet. Thanks for the clarification(s).

Sounds like if it's got white seats, then the metal is white and so is the headliner, with black dash and black carpet. Thanks for the clarification(s).

The trim selector does not specifically say what the upper door frame paint will be.

What does your Fender Tag say?

The fender tag is the final say. (well that and carefully sanding upper trims to see if original paint is there)

...i don't think there was white in '69,i believe it was pearl

69 was white, my brother had a white, white, red GTS stripe 383 in early 70's LOVED THAT CAR

The metal on doors and headliner were white

View attachment image.jpg

This looks right to me compared to my brothers

67 was pearl not sure on 68

I have seen white interior with color dash other than black. I think you could get carpet color and dash to match, blue dash carpet, red dash carpet. I've seen them this way and they looked factory

The trim selector does not specifically say what the upper door frame paint will be.

What does your Fender Tag say?

The fender tag is the final say. (well that and carefully sanding upper trims to see if original paint is there)

I don't have a fender tag for a car with the white seats. I was just wondering what was "correct". Thanks.

thanks for the post --will help me in my choices,, great photo display ,Lawrence

-
Back