"One for the books" SB oil pump fit

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So I am FINALLY making small progress. I had acquired (some time ago) a "new in the box" 360 LA "roller" that had been reman by some (I guess) local engine builder. Cam is in, got the timing cover on, and now time for oil pump.

COULD NOT find "thought I had" a new pickup. Finally realized it is still in the 'teen I had had in the car. So pull the pan--------handily it's on an engine stand

For some reason I threw the pump and pickup on the new 360. The DRIVE NUBBIN where it fits in the block..........won't fit!! Bear in mind this was IN and WORKING in the 3'teen!!!

Grabbed the new in the box pump, swapped the pickup and installed it. FITS JUST GREAT.

(Yeh!!! I primed it!!!)

So xplain?...........How many have had a pump like THAT?

ok, ill bite, what in the world is a "drive nubbin" ?

As far as I can read it its the bottom drive end of the distributor gear. That goes into the oil pump on a small or big block mopar. But I don"t speak millennial either. The same guys that write dizzy. Because its electrical and they don't have a clue how it works. 3'teen they write easier to type 318. Maybe a hipster thing.

Last edited:
Well YOU TELL ME what it's called........it's the "thingie" whut stickein'deoutee on the one end of da ' owl pump...............

This is part of the CASTING on the pump. It PILOTS into a MACHINED DRILLING in the top of the REAR MAIN CAP

It is essentially the boss? for the drive hex IN the pump.

Well it don't...........fit that is.......and yet it came out of what was a running 318 where it fit just fine!!!!

No, it wasn't dropped or hammered on, either....................

Never would have occurred to me that an oil pump and a main cap would not "like" each other.

It's the "thingie" whut stickein'deoutee on the one end of da ' owl pump........ Yeah ok I dont speak that language either sorry. Would love to help you but can't translate.

Last edited:
You have an owl pump count me out.

"This is part of the CASTING on the pump. It PILOTS into a MACHINED DRILLING in the top of the REAR MAIN CAP

It is essentially the boss? for the drive hex IN the pump."

No, now you are just bein' difficult

They’re a tight fit. What’s the OD compared to the cap? Maybe it was the last run on a worn out machine before the cutting tools were changed.

new one by me. I've never ran across one fit and not another, same with bb's
if it don't fit , force it , well , that's what she said anyways....
I'm fairly certain it's extremely damn close,,,

I understand you perfectly Del.
I'm guessing the pump drive was not yet in?, so it wasn't hanging up on the hex-drive.

Me to. You'd have to be two things not to understand him. 1) stupid. OR 2) totally inexperienced in building or installing or replacing a small block oil pump. There's hope for #2, but that #1 might as well just give up.

Well YOU TELL ME what it's called........it's the "thingie" whut stickein'deoutee on the one end of da ' owl pump...............

This is part of the CASTING on the pump. It PILOTS into a MACHINED DRILLING in the top of the REAR MAIN CAP

It is essentially the boss? for the drive hex IN the pump.

Well it don't...........fit that is.......and yet it came out of what was a running 318 where it fit just fine!!!!

No, it wasn't dropped or hammered on, either....................

Never would have occurred to me that an oil pump and a main cap would not "like" each other.
when I was a machinist, we called that "boss" a SPIGOT.

Did the 318 drive mushroom out the "mounting neck"?

We've gotten some pumps right out of the box like that at work. Whether they came like that, or were new "supposed to be" warranty returns........who knows?

The thing-a-ma-jigger is indexed.
Maybe you didnt have it clocked just right, for it to seat ?

ok, i get it now
i take it this was without the distributor drive in place, so it couldnt be hanging up on that?
simple case of the tollerances stacking up against you
the hole in the cap is on the small end, the outside diameter of the nub/boss/spiggot/neck is on the large end

or just a bur somewhere?

but, nothing i ever seen in either one of the two oil pumps i ever handled (put that in there, so rusty knows what category i fall into)

I understand you perfectly Del.
I'm guessing the pump drive was not yet in?, so it wasn't hanging up on the hex-drive.

Right. This is the bare pump. The new pump fit fine, and the problem pump just came out of the 318 that had been running in the car

I have some other pumps lying around if I get time I'll have a look at them. By the way the pan and timing cover is finally on the new mill. Hope to have the heads on this week, they are EQ. I'll have to deal with custom pushrods next

I'm gonna chop up a couple of old magnum PR and stick threaded rod inside so I can jack them around LOL

The only issue I have ever had with a small block pump is a MP HV one that I bought new years ago when I was a teen-age kid, it was thicker, and the pan needed modified for clearance.

-
Back