one piece fiberglass front ends

-

451 demon

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one I wanted some input on them and if any suggestions on brands or if any body knows some one who has a used one for sale. The only place i have look at and talked to is us body source. I'm putting it on a dart sport that I'm turnig into a demon so I need 70-72 dart front. I'm asing the car for drag racing only. Thanks for any input.

I have bought one glass part (an aspen deck lid) from US body source and it was your typical glass needed a bit of work to make it fit perfect but was doable.

From what I have heard unless you get a one piece tilt it's not worth going glass on the fenders, not enough weight savings for the hassle of mounting them, I would weigh everything first to determine if this is true or not.

If you are just doing a glass hood and bumper then from what I hear AAR is the company to go with as from what I have seen the fit and finish is spectacular.

**Edit
lol I just saw the title. yha just remember their stuff takes some work but isn't horrible

One thing to look in to is if the class or track your racing at requiers working head lights and if a tilt front end can be set up to run them.

I'm thinking about getting one I wanted some input on them and if any suggestions on brands or if any body knows some one who has a used one for sale. The only place i have look at and talked to is us body source. I'm putting it on a dart sport that I'm turnig into a demon so I need 70-72 dart front. I'm asing the car for drag racing only. Thanks for any input.

451 Demon,

I have owned 5 one piece front ends in my life. The early ones were nightmares. Poor fit and finish. Lots of cracking and splitting after 1 season. Poor paintability, etc.

The later versions were better but heavier, no weight savings. It's also a pain filiiping it up (yourself) between rounds to work on the motor or cool it down.

My advise, go race weight fiberglass, individual panels , from a reputable source. There is a lot of junk fiberglass out there, especially the offshore variety. Remember, you get what you pay for.

sscuda

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of using it as a lift off and not a tilt, and using a regular lift off hood to. Just tring to make it easier to work on and lighter. Any recommended companies for any fiberglass parts would be helpfull thanks.Class rule doesn't effect me, so I don't need factory head lights or turn signals

Hey 451 -
I had a lift off front end on my old '69 340 Swinger that I built years ago to run NHRA Super Street. It also had a separate lift off hood. I could either remove just the hood or the entire front end.
Loved it for working on the car. Remove the front end and there's a ready made chair (the front tire) to sit on and work.
The only drawback was it was a 2-person job to remove the complete front end. It mounted on two horizontal pins extending from the front frame stubs and was secured by two dzus fasteners on the back of each front fender by the doors.
I also had both a front engine plate and a mid-plate between the engine and transmission. I could pull either the engine or transmission separately or pull them both as a unit.
Still wish I hadn't gotten stupid and sold that car. I'd love to have it to run on the street now.

A OPFE is a PITA. Neat initial idea ... but the PAIN of it will cancel that out REAL QUICK.

GO with separate panels ..... and I would STAY AWAY from US Body ...UNLESS you are able to pick the parts up and INSPECT THEM before paying for them.

And under NO circumstances accept parts that have been painted on the inside.

I would do just the bumper and hood . The dart steel fenders are very light already.

12 years of owning a 70 Challenger with a one peice front end. Definitely a love/hate relationship!! Love the easy removal for working on it. Hate trying to take it on and off with out scratching it or the doors up. Mine is VFN, has held up well, and is very light.

Attachments

• 2974597120055648122zTUgsG_ph.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 734
Billy G, that is cool. I can certainly see why it is a pain to work on and off.

VFN!!! IF they have the parts you are looking for. I have had a few parts from them. They price was cheap but the parts weren't. IIMR the shipping wasn't bad either.

-
Back