Opinions on kobalt 80 gallon compressor

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
An 80 gallon, 2 stage, 5hp compressor popped up for sale locally. It’s a k7580v2 model with 15.2 cfm at 175psi. Asking price is $550. What’s y’all’s thoughts? Worth checking it out?

98ACD57E-0D0A-4AEC-A8A6-31C52881B73E.jpeg

It looks good from what I see in the cloudy photo.Cast iron 2 stage? 80 gallon is a good deal. Price is right.

Good price. They're about the same as any other China import compressor. You win some, you lose some. It's a gamble even brand new.

Check the motor power requirements. You want 230 V single phase to wire into a residence. Looks new and for that price it’s a bargain! Same as what I use and I have never run out of air.

Are you able to hear/see it run??? That would be a deciding factor for me.
I’ll have to see if the seller can hook it up to see if it runs.
Check the motor power requirements. You want 230 V single phase to wire into a residence. Looks new and for that price it’s a bargain! Same as what I use and I have never run out of air.
This photo shows what looks like a coating of oil/dust on the top of the tank so guessing it’s been used a fair amount.

140B01CF-19FD-402F-B6EF-EE046DE77A77.jpeg

An 80 gallon, 2 stage, 5hp compressor popped up for sale locally. It’s a k7580v2 model with 15.2 cfm at 175psi. Asking price is $550. What’s y’all’s thoughts? Worth checking it out?

View attachment 1715994108

Heads up for you if it isn't a 220 or 230 volt motor then it isn't 5hp.

Based on the CFM and PSI you listed I suspect it is a true 5hp model.

You might even be able to sand blast a little with 15 CFM, but I doubt it's 15 CFM at 175 psi. 15 at 90, maybe.

...and you forgot "backlit" in addition to "blurry".

Well, unfortunately the compressor is pending sale. He’s holding it until Monday for someone. I’ll check back with him Monday and see if the other guy flaked out.

I have the 60 gallon Kobalt. Works good, they are actually made by Cambell Hausfeld. If you look on the compressor it should have their logo on it.

Check the tank for rust and that they drained it regularly. One of mine finally rusted through after 30 years. Another one I have you can hear the rust rattling around inside. Might also look at the date on the tank to see how old it it. Tanks by themselves are expensive.

My Kobalt is a little 30 gallon 2 cylinder cast iron inline pump, 5HP 115V and I've had it a few years now. Works like a charm. Still made in China, but it's been a goodun so far.

Heads up for you if it isn't a 220 or 230 volt motor then it isn't 5hp.

Based on the CFM and PSI you listed I suspect it is a true 5hp model.
They rate them differently now. It's probably rated in "Running HP" which is somehow different and higher than actual rated HP.

Messaged the guy last night and no big surprise, the guy he was holding it for never showed. I’m gonna go look at it sometime this weekend.

A comparable compressor of that size now runs in the $1300-$1500 range, so if can buy it for $500 I don't see how you can go wrong.

I finally had to rebuild my 30-year old oil less compressor I had bought new a few weeks back. Cost me $22 for a kit from Amazon and now it's

working perfectly again. I think you have a bargin there.

Tom

-
Back