Opinions on Power or Manual steering

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I for a 72 Scamp that im wondering what the best route to go is. Performance build BB car. Those that have used both what do you prefer manual Or power? Im thinking Manual will offer more room. I currently have a power box but really not sure if its any good. The car sat for quite a few years. So if I have to buy one im curious as to what y'all like?

We have members that swear by both types. It comes down to personal preference, budget and what you are going to do with the car. The manual route is simpler but have you driven one? More turns lock to lock. If your wheels aren't moving it requires both hands and a lot of effort. Gas stations and parking can be tough. An automatic helps some because you have both hands available. Stock PS doesn't have much feed back, upgraded PS can be really good.

As for A body or any old car I've never driven a manual all newer cars with power steering.

If that's the case, you won't be real happy with manual steering......

Around 1994, I drove a '68 Belvedere 4 door with manual steering as a daily driver and it sucked. Are you in an urban area where you will have to parallel park? Not fun.

You did say big block, so I'm going to say go power. Especially if you can get the firm feel fast-ratio setup (16:1 vs 24:1 as I recall). The power steering on early A's is pretty vague all right. The manual you can feel rough gravel in the asphalt

Its in a 72 plymouth. And to be honest Ive never driving anything with manual steering. This will be the first car older then 1983 ive driven. Performance is great but not sure i would be happy with manual. But since there isnt an engine in figured nows the time to decide.

If it's going to be a drag car.....manual is the way to go. For the street with regular parking requirements, power is what I would use with a big block under the hood. If you live out in the middle of nowhere and you never see city driving, take your pick. All the stock power boxes I've seen are in the 16:1 ratio range. Manual boxes can be 24:1, 20:1, or 16:1.

I have power on the GT with smallblock and manual on the GTS 499 stroker with a Grant wheel which is smaller and fast ratio steering box. It is a like wrestling a bear compared to the power in the GT so if you have power I would say keep it,Joe

-
Back