orange box sucks what is better

-

65cudalover

Reaction score
I am replacing my orange box monday wih a Napa replacement box. All I see here is one needs to keep spare box and resistor in car at all times. That says one thing the set up sucks? What is better way to make elcetronic distributor work, never had any problems with mopar distributor, so mopar gurus tell me a better way? Please....

Mopar makes a chrome which is a lot better of a box. Another option is to purchase a set up from Don at www.4secondsflat.com. They sell a setup which looks like a stock system but is far superior. I am currently running Don's on my 68 Dart. And then there is always Mallory and MSD.

If your going to run a mopar ignition system,always carry spare parts,cause' something always goes wrong..the reason i run only msd systems and have NEVER had a failure..

The orange box (year one) is junk. I am running an old silver box and it's had no problems. I do run a MSD coil and plug wires. Every since I put them in, I just tap the key and car fires up first time every time. No gas pedal required.

I got a new orange box for sale . :)

I have the FBO box and it is far better than the orange box. Call Don and he will set you up.
I still carry my orange box, stock coil amd ballast resister with me. I also have the extra resistor for the FBO box too.

Run a chrome box for the past 20 years along with Jacobs coil, plug wiring and race box. I trust Jacobs after all he holds most of the patents for MSD along with every company who manufactures the spiral core plugs wires he invented

You're all saying the orange box is junk but you're not saying why. Do they just stop working or are they out of spec or what?

If your going to run a mopar ignition system,always carry spare parts,cause' something always goes wrong..the reason i run only msd systems and have NEVER had a failure..

Knock on wood.Boss lost his box in the nhra super comp final. Bad time to fizzle. Our inside joke is msd = might suddenly die.

I got a box off old motorhome when I got my engine. I was going to get new orange box and keep salvage box for spare. I'll look around for a better box.

go with a MSD. better for your engine and way more reliable!!

Maybe, it was last summer. it had the multi stage for burn out and launch. It was some type of 7 box.

I had the MSD6AL on my '71 Duster. Terribly unreliable unit. Sometimes it would start and sometimes it would not. Went back to the Mopar ECU setup and ended the problem, well until the boxes started dying on me.

Funny, I went to Napa and got their box replacement for orange box, also go a new ballast resistor. Installed when I got home hit the key and vroom started right up! NAPA backs up its its box for one year! What do they know others do not? I will probably get another and ballast just for spares total cost less than 40 bucks! It seems to me NAPA would not make it if others made good parts!

get you orange box and throw it at somone, somthing lake pond river mineshaft.....thats what i did with mine, one day my car would start, another not..........then it would cut out and without doing any thing try key and away we go.............oooh it drove me mad, so i bought a secondhand msd junked the bollox.... eerr ballast resistor and also the distributor to a single point one. runs like a watch,veeery easy to wire, had car 6 years, gone thro around 5 orange boxes, they aint cheep, msd, best move you ever make!:cheers:

-
Back